Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Dabo Swinney fires back at racist comments made about Deshaun Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

TNET: Dabo Swinney fires back at racist comments made about Deshaun Watson

Sep 20, 2018, 7:01 AM

Dabo Swinney fires back at racist comments made about Deshaun Watson

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney has known Houston Texan quarterback Deshaun Watson since Watson was a gangly freshman at Georgia’s Gainesville High School and has seen Watson grow into a franchise quarterback in the NFL, so he doesn't appreciate the comments made about Watson earlier this week. Photo by Denny Medley / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What I really hate about this is...

Sep 20, 2018, 7:05 AM

That in the age of social media, every ignorant comment becomes a news story...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What I really hate about this is...

Sep 20, 2018, 7:26 AM

But what an opportunity that idiot created for both Deshaun and Dabo to once again set great examples for the rest of the world!

Sep 20, 2018, 7:44 AM

True... We know how great they are, but others are just getting it...

Sep 20, 2018, 8:33 AM [ in reply to What I really hate about this is... ]

amen- a platform for stupid people who deserve to be ignored. and then everyone has to weigh in

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 8:36 AM [ in reply to What I really hate about this is... ]

Yeah, well. No news there, move along. Just because the guy saying is a school superintendent. A public school superintendent. Whose district presumably has students of color. But, no news there. Geez.

This.***

Sep 20, 2018, 9:50 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: What I really hate about this is... ]

Of color? What color?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does the fact that their superintendent

Sep 20, 2018, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: What I really hate about this is... ]

doesn't believe they'd make good NFL QBs affect their education in some way?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By showing a clear, race-based bias? Yes, yes it does.***

Sep 20, 2018, 2:12 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all the more reason one should think before speaking or in

Sep 20, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to What I really hate about this is... ]

this case typing.

Sep 20, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to What I really hate about this is... ]

I disagree that it is every ignorant comment. It is when an ignorant comment by somebody with power in public office says something ignorant that it does.

Can I please just get up on a soapbox here?

Sep 20, 2018, 1:23 PM [ in reply to What I really hate about this is... ]

I am a huge, huge advocate of letting everyone speak their minds openly and freely.

Social media is one way to get that voice out to the masses as broadly as possible.

I am also a believer in allowing people to “skin their ignorance” in the public square. My rationale here is the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know. Transparency is critical. No more hiding your bigotry and racism in the dark. Tell us how you really feel.

So...

When you put these two things together, social media has been a godsend.

Clearly this person has racial biases. Let him skin his ignorance for all to see and more importantly to JUDGE!

See, I know liberals hate the whole judgement thing when it comes to alternative lifestyles and poor choices. Yet, when this dingleberry says something clearly racist in nature, they expose themselves for judgement. A good thing!

I for one have zero issue with judging or discriminating against those who make life choices (statements, actions, etc) that I vehemently disagree with. And this guy is one example where I judge him to be persona non grata to me.

And I have thousands of other things that I absolutely judge about people and their lifestyle choices and decisions. Right or wrong, that is my right! It is YOUR right too. This is what this country was founded to protect!

And so my point in all of this rambling is...

1) it is ok to discriminate about poor lifestyle choices and life choices in general (it doesn’t mean you are right)...

2) let all voices be heard and choices be judged accordingly!

Message was edited by: hufferbilly®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2018, 3:06 PM [ in reply to What I really hate about this is... ]

I like what the head coach of the Texans said also.

Well Lynn

Sep 20, 2018, 7:30 AM

“When you need educational leadership, you can’t count on a man with a woman’s name.”

Oops, did I type that on the board? I meant to T-mail that to my good friend that agrees with my narrow minded beliefs.

Nuff said!

Sep 20, 2018, 8:09 AM

Move on.. forgive the guy for thinking & speaking in an evil way But cast the 1st stone at him IF you are perfect.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nuff said!

Sep 20, 2018, 8:27 AM

When a person apologizes, the apology should not be about thinking the comment was private! If I commit a wrong and am only sorry I got caught, no forgiveness is required. We can forgive, but we should not be quick to move on, this is a teachable moment for all the racists in our country....

Sep 20, 2018, 10:07 AM

Very well said. Right now he just doesn't get it.

Sep 20, 2018, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Nuff said! ]

I agree 100%. The guy also pretty much tried to defend his comments by saying he only meant that black quarterbacks have had limited success in the league. It's not as if over the years we've seen an equal about of black and white quarterbacks.

We're now seeing more and more of them get the chance to do so, and we've seen several win national championships in college, and now Russell Wilson winning a Super Bowl, and Cam Newton getting to one. Watson himself set the league on fire last season before getting hurt. It's not as if there isn't an unlimited list of white quarterbacks who have been total busts in the NFL.

Also, the fact that he's a leader of schools that are responsible for children makes it not ok to just move on. Imagine if the guy in charge of your child's school basically came out and admitted to hating your race. Would you be ok with that guy having leadership over the school your child goes to?

apparently this guy missed Warren Moon, for starters.

Sep 20, 2018, 11:49 AM

Even late in his career, I enjoyed watching Warren fling the ball all over the place.

I like it ringknocker! Well done!***

Sep 20, 2018, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Well Lynn ]

nm

Exactly what I expect from our Coach

Sep 20, 2018, 8:44 AM

The person that made that statement should not be over students. It does not mean he can not be forgiven if he truly makes amends. I admit thinking stupidly when I was young, but as I matured I became my own person and did not depend on what others around me thought. The ONLY prejudice that I have now is against Bullies and JERKS! He is supposed to already be mature and thinks that way? Not Good!

I would be troubled if I was a POC and had a child that was

Sep 20, 2018, 11:00 AM

attending his school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney fires back at racist comments made about Deshaun Watson

Sep 20, 2018, 9:07 AM

Would be pretty neat if Deshaun had a meeting with the guy and signed a bunch of stuff for people at his office just to take the high ground and help diffuse the situation even more. I can’t believe adults in positions of authority still think this way in 2018.

Sep 20, 2018, 9:20 AM

Now that's a good idea but Deshaun should send something for the students not the adults!

Sep 20, 2018, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney fires back at racist comments made about Deshaun Watson ]

Watson should sign a bunch of stuff for whoever takes over the job after this guy is fired.

Watson doesn't have to prove anything to this guy***

Sep 20, 2018, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney fires back at racist comments made about Deshaun Watson ]

The guy is a superintendent of a school system??

Sep 20, 2018, 9:49 AM

What a PoS! Aren't you supposed to be educated to be in a position like that? He's probably one of those people who wants text books that say dinosaurs are fake and the world is flat.

Thank you Dabo. Thank You Watson.***

Sep 20, 2018, 10:04 AM

Dabo and Deshawn are my heros. Two of the best.

Sep 20, 2018, 10:17 PM

And Trevor Lawrence is cut from the same cloth. Can't wait to see Trevor continue to grow AND WIN at Clemson the next 3 or 4 years.

As a former School Board Member

Sep 21, 2018, 2:54 PM

Mr Redden would be looking for a new job! There's no way the Board can believe that he's unbiased in dealing with student and/or personnel issues and will never be able to deal with issues that will inevitably come without this hanging over his head. He's done and "when you need precision decision making you can't count on" Mr. Redden.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic