Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Syracuse thoughts & what needs to change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Syracuse thoughts & what needs to change

Oct 17, 2017, 9:08 AM

First off, it is not the end of the world. Secondly, talent wise we are right there with anyone else in the entire country. As disappointing as it was, Id like to state a few things I noticed from Friday night.

-I fear the constant rotation with the front 7 is coming back to hurt us. Guys were WINDED Friday night, especially the front 7. As great as its been to rotate guys, it seems it has impacted their stamina in a negative way. In a situation where our first team d needed to play 90%-95% of snaps, they couldn't perform at a high level every down they were in there. I saw countless plays where defenders simply gave up on a play and didn't even attempt to shed blocks.

-OL rotation seems to also be hurting us too. Shouldn't the best 5 always play together and build chemistry? I have never understood why coaches rotate offensive lineman. You want your lineman to build a bond and have that amazing communication and chemistry. The best lines in CFB and NFL don't constantly rotate...hence why they're the best O-Lines. The more they play together, the better they'll be. Its that simple. Teams have issues when O-Lines are constantly being moved around. Pick your starting 5, allow them to build chemistry through experience, and leave them in. It would pay dividends in picking up blitzes and pass pro.

-Feaster and Etienne need to split carries, period. I understand Fuller and Choice have been in the program longer, but Fuller is fumble prone and Choice has no acceleration or breakthrough speed. There really is no reason to even see them on the field unless there is an injury.

-Higgins needs more snaps. He is finally coming into his own. He was a little lackluster and confused the first few games, but you can tell he is confident in what he's doing now. As amazing as Cain is, he has had his issues with drops throughout his career at Clemson. Give the 6'4 freshman some chances to go make a play. He has the speed of Cain but is a much bigger target.

-I'm sorry Davis twins, but you do not have the speed to play at this level. You guys work extremely hard and have completely bought into the program, but the talent just is not there. They are physical backers but cant cover if their life depended on it. Chad Smith played a lot early on but snaps have been limited as of late. He is big, physical, and has amazing speed and footwork. I would love to see more of him.

-Now onto Chris Register...well, he is slow, really slow. Lacks the speeds off the edge and really struggles with containing. I know we're paper thin at end because of injuries, but it would make more sense having one of our talented freshman getting more reps. I understand he's been in the program longer, but at least get someone out there that is athletic and can move. He absolutely kills us on the edge.

-I absolutely love Venables and he has completely changed the defensive culture at Clemson. Blue chips want to play for him and his defense, and that is something Clemson was never able to do on a consistent basis. But it was painful watching you bring delayed blitzes against an offense that thrives off of getting the ball out quick. Over and over we were sending safeties and backers on delayed blitzes...and over and over we got beat. Whether we got beat on a quick screen or downfield, you're wasting bodies on delayed blitzes all night. The majority of our sacks were cover sacks or from a 4 man rush. I was shocked an adjustment wasn't made.

-I just want to address the fake punt. I actually don't hate the play call option because of how they defended the punt all night. We would get down the field with ease, sometimes even untouched trying to get to the returner. I saw what exactly what the coaching staff saw. Lets be honest, Muse could have easily caught that ball. It hit is hands...I get that there was a defender right there, but he misjudged it completely. The defender completely threw him off (which isn't a surprise for a DB). If we made that play, we would all be saying how amazing of a play call it was, so people need to stop bashing it. Yes, I would have punted it and pinned them back, but I also saw what the coaches saw. When things don't go your way, its always gonna suck.

-A night game in the valley is exactly what the doctor ordered. Coming off a loss and a bye week, this is perfect. Players, coaches, and fans are all pissed and ready for a primetime matchup with a solid GT squad. As of late we've been able to stop that old school style of play, but our defense better read their keys and play disciplined football. All it takes is one player missing an assignment and they're off to the races. Offensively, would love to take some more shots downfield. We have some of the best receivers in the business, let them make plays.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Syracuse thoughts & what needs to change

Oct 17, 2017, 9:17 AM

You left out throwing the ball vertical and over the middle. Without that we will win 10 games and play in a major bowl.

Oct 17, 2017, 9:18 AM

Completely agree. I meant that when I said take shots downfield and give our receivers a chance to make plays.

Dear Lord

Oct 17, 2017, 9:18 AM

War and Peace was shorter.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dear Lord

Oct 17, 2017, 9:19 AM

If you don't want to read it all, you don't have to :)

We just need to get hungry again - that's when we.......

Oct 17, 2017, 9:32 AM

play our best - when we've got something to prove. Losing to Syracuse (like Pitt last year) was embarrassing - now we'll have to redeem ourselves.

There's no reason we can't win out and make it to the Final 4.

Re: We just need to get hungry again - that's when we.......

Oct 17, 2017, 9:39 AM

Exactly. There is no reason we shouldn't make it to the playoff again this year.

Oct 17, 2017, 9:41 AM

thanks newb. how many games have you won?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2017, 9:44 AM

As a coach or player?

Coach***

Oct 17, 2017, 10:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Coach***

Oct 17, 2017, 10:32 AM

Only been an assistant for 2 years. But I played 4 years in college as well, graduated 2015. I’m not claiming to be an expert, just some thoughts I had. These coaches know exactly what they’re doing, that’s why they get paid the big bucks.

That narrows it down a bit. Are you streeter?

Oct 17, 2017, 10:37 AM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=103701&SPSID=657774

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: That narrows it down a bit. Are you streeter?

Oct 17, 2017, 10:46 AM

Haha good one

Oct 17, 2017, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Coach*** ]

THANK THE LORD YOU NEVER COACHED MY CHILD.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2017, 11:28 AM

Praise Jesus!

does your child YELLLLL like you do?***

Oct 17, 2017, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Coach*** ]

Good news is...we haven't played like that all year

Oct 17, 2017, 10:46 AM

bad news is... the optics of losing to Cuse is pretty bad and could come back to haunt us. For instance if its up to us and UGA for the last spot in the top 4 and UGA's only loss is in the SEC championship then we get the boot even as an ACC champion...maybe.

Field goals are going to be vital to us winning out though. It will be close in Raleigh, potentially FSU, and if we make the ACC championship game. Missing FG's can flip momentum and give field position away.

Hopefully we start running the ball again. QB's included.

If UGA wins the SEC they will make the field of four.

Oct 17, 2017, 10:49 AM

If they don't they will get some quality time with their families. This speculative delusion that two teams from the same conference will get the nod is the fantasy of an SEC homer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good news is...we haven't played like that all year

Oct 17, 2017, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Good news is...we haven't played like that all year ]

You’re right on. Even if we do win out it’s not a given. GA and Bama could be undefeated and play in the sec championship game and they’d both get in the playoff. If we want to win, we have to keep feeding our backs. And the kicking game will be crucial on the home stretch.

False

Oct 17, 2017, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Good news is...we haven't played like that all year ]

If we win out we are in, period

If UGA loses in SEC champ, they are out, period

If UGA wins SEC, they are in and Bama is out

Oct 17, 2017, 10:47 AM

Our constant substitution isn't as much about resting players as it is about building experienced depth. It may be impossible to play 15 games without experienced depth.

Sorry but by the time I'd spend reading three or four paragraphs based on your ignoring our need to substitute to build experienced and quality depth I got bored and gave up.

Coaches have no crystal ball to predict how well a player can handle his position without seeing them on the field. I agree Higgins and the other rookies need to be in the games more and more equal to their rates of success and experience merits. Why not give the underclass linemen the same considerations? If they don't play this year what makes you thing they can next year when some of these linemen are gone?

Sorry that my response is only half a long as your comments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2017, 10:56 AM

Good points. No need to apologize for the length of the reply.

Oct 17, 2017, 11:14 AM

IT REALLY BOGGLES THE MIND HOW CLEMSON HAS GONE 33-3 OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS WITH THIS COLLECTION OF SCRUBS WE HAVE ON OUR TEAM. NOT TO MENTION A STAFF THAT OBVIOUSLY HAS NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING. MAYBE SOMEDAY WE WILL FIELD A TEAM AND STAFF THAT WILL MAKE YOU PROUD TO BE THE OUTSTANDING SUPPORTERS THAT YOU ARE. SMFH AT THE COMPLETE DRIVEL WRITTEN ON THIS SITE.

Oct 17, 2017, 11:26 AM

Just stated some thoughts from a former player/current coach perspective (doesn't mean I'm right). Not from the Syracuse game alone but on the season. These coaches know what theyre doing and they have their jobs for a reason. I'm extremely happy with our program and proud of how far we've come. Just some things to think about that's all.

Regarding the fake punt

Oct 17, 2017, 1:19 PM

That play is designed as a pass/kick option I believe. And the pass should only be thrown if the dude is wide friggin open. He wasn't. It wasn't a bad play call, except in the way Dabo mentioned later that he shouldn't have put a freshman punter in the position to make that decision.

I really like the play call, and it should've led to a good punt pinning them back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Regarding the fake punt

Oct 17, 2017, 1:24 PM

Yeah Dabo said it was a punt/pass option and I completely agree. Putting a freshman in that situation is difficult. He was punting well all night too. You live and ya learn I guess..

But he does have a good arm for a punter!

Oct 17, 2017, 4:46 PM

I think Clemson went to play in a dump on a short week unprepared, and tired looking forward to
a bye week.

Played offense with a hobbled quarterback and questionable play calling.

Played a lackluster poorly coached defense.

Failed on special teams.

Had several penalties due to lack of discipline.

And still lost by only 3 points to a team that played better than they have ever played before.

If even one of the phases of the game had been on par, Clemson would have won the game but that
doesn't take away some things that need to be addressed.

By losing the game I think the coaches will be more determined to work out the kinks than maybe
they would had they won.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic