Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sure we lost to th coots again but it sure is fun watching..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Sure we lost to th coots again but it sure is fun watching..

Dec 17, 2013, 9:45 PM

their BB team struggle. Martin is a joke! I believe the diamond chickens will take another step back as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sure we lost to th coots again but it sure is fun watching..

Dec 17, 2013, 9:54 PM

Back is only direction they can go on the diamond. No question probably best program in nation last few years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No comment about the bball program.....thats OK...

Dec 17, 2013, 10:19 PM

only a handful of you clowns have seen the chickens play in that spacious, new arena. Ya know, a sold out arena got to be a rarity for NCSt for a short period when construction was finished on the (at the time) RBC Center...but there was never any sort of financial worry because an NHL team ALSO used the building for 40 or so home games.

Every game I've seen briefly on tv this season and played in the new "coop" has had thousands of empty seats. I know plenty of Darius Rucker concerts are held there, but ya gotta believe upkeep on the arena is going to start eating into all that SEC money as the lack of ticket sales starts to spell financial red.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No comment about the bball program.....thats OK...

Dec 17, 2013, 10:30 PM

interesting but we probably dont have much room to bash others for hoops attendance or lack there of.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We also don't have

Dec 17, 2013, 10:50 PM

a brand new 18,000 seat arena to fill....in point of fact, we don't even have 18k students.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We also don't have

Dec 17, 2013, 11:20 PM

That thing is paid for in full and the upkeep is a drop in the bucket compared to the money coming in that will just increase with the new SEC network starting in August.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We also don't have

Dec 17, 2013, 11:45 PM

777, you have worn out your welcome.

He has no clue what he's talking about.....

Dec 18, 2013, 12:41 AM

The "Dean Dome" in chapelhill was built entirely by private funding from a fairly good size group of wealthy contributors. The state of NC didn't spend much at all on the initial construction, though they remained "in charge" of all aspects of its useage. Unfortunately, that also involved the maintenance of the entire building and grounds once the building was "turned over" to the state. But unc wanted to control all aspects of its useage including who'd be giving concerts there and when they'd be allowed to have them.

After a story hit the papers that it was costing the taxpayers of NC nearly a million dollars per year for maintenace (including staff), you can imagine the hue and cry from non-unc fans who didn't want to pay for a building where they (generally) couldn't buy tix to see a game.

I'd be curious to know who's paying for maintenance at the new "coop"? I know I'll never set foot into the joint. Ever. I would contribute towards legal fees to sue usuck if it is discovered department on that campus is paying for maintenance other than the gamecock clu

Re: He has no clue what he's talking about.....

Dec 18, 2013, 10:39 AM

a) the facility was paid off in 2010.

b) there is much more held at Colonial Life Center than just USC basketball. USC hold 16 to 18 events there each year. The area hosted 143 events last year.

c) According to public records the facility turned a profit last year of over 5 Million Dollars

d) In the past few years, the CLL was one of the Top 25 arenas in the world for the number of tickets sold.

e)in the past 22 months, there has been 31 sold out events at the facility (obviously USC basketball is not one of them)

f) with naming rights to Colonial Life and other advertising, the facility covers over half of all operating cost.

g) The facility is managed by a third party Global Spectrum that is responsible for maintenance. GS pays for the right to manage the facility in return for a share of the profits. If the arena does not turn a profit then the risk is on Global.

Try again

Colonial life arena

Dec 18, 2013, 12:31 AM

Maybe the worst thing to happen to our BB program since darren horn.

They built it so Springsteen and Elton John would come play concerts. Never thought about what 5000 fans would look like in an 18000 seat arena.
Saw George strait and pearl jam there. Awesome building, everything's top notch, but it is embarrassing when it's 1/3 full for 20 home BB games..... If we could put a decent product on the floor, things would change. Unfortunately at lest 1-2 years away from thinking about that

A lot of Gamecock fans I know in the Columbia area have

Dec 18, 2013, 5:47 AM

told me they miss the old Carolina Coliseum.

I've been in both, and I understand what they mean. There's something to be said about creating demand by limiting quantity, even if the thing demanded is top-notch.

Hopefully, Clemson's plans, regarding LJ, will consider that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The old coliseum was a great place to watch a game

Dec 18, 2013, 10:46 AM

place got loud and the fans were right on top of you. Good place for a concert as well, excellent accoustics

Re: Colonial life arena

Dec 18, 2013, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Colonial life arena ]

I remember the when they built the Pyramid in Memphis. Thinking was to use it to lure an NBA team to the city. They finally got an NBA team...by agreeing to build them a new place to play.

Last I heard, the Memphis Pyramid was being turned into a Bass Pro Shop.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim - I live in the Columbia area

Dec 18, 2013, 7:11 AM

You keep referring to that arena as "new". That building is about 13 years old now. By NBA/NFL standards that is ancient and time to be replaced.

As far as LJ, Clemson does not need to spend the money on a new arena. Maybe I'm getting too old but the appeal of going to sporting events has greatly diminished with the advent of 40"+ HD televisions. Football is different due to the tailgating/social aspect but basketball games I'll just watch on TV for a much better view of the game.

The Cootliseum

Dec 18, 2013, 7:34 AM

Dirtpeck Arena

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

the unofficial nickname is "The Colon"

Dec 18, 2013, 8:23 AM

appropriate takeoff of the Colonial Life Arena.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chickenasium

Dec 18, 2013, 7:38 AM

The Half Empty & Silent Applauditorium

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Chickenasium

Dec 18, 2013, 11:09 AM

Gamecock basketball is a huge disappointment. It has become a forgotten space in time between football and baseball season.

Colonial Lifeless Arena

Dec 18, 2013, 11:06 AM

Watching basketball in Colonial Lifeless Arena is sad and depressing. It's way too big and has no character. The old Carolina Coliseum should have been renovated, that place had character and was a great place to watch hoops.

Dec 18, 2013, 1:14 PM

Brownell is a much better coach than Martin!

Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM

For now....I agree....

Dec 18, 2013, 1:26 PM

Funny how we have nothing to poke fun at with the Coots. Basketball, really, they have always sucked at that. As for baseball and football, we still owe them rent

No, you have not always sucked at basketball.***

Dec 18, 2013, 1:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Dec 18, 2013, 2:16 PM

It's funny to listen to the commentators that do their games saying how Frank is improving their program and things are on the uptick, HELLO!!! Where....I haven't seen any improvement, just regression and I'm lovin' it!!!!

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic