Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: The day not promised
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon: The day not promised

Sep 22, 2013, 9:30 AM

Doggone it! Here I had worked up a little missive about folks not being satisfied with double-digit road wins ... and then something really important wipes it all away.

Let's start the day in the Book of James: "You may say, 'Tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit' — yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes."

Last night, on a rain-slicked highway, the world changed forever for Carlos Watkins.

He came within inches of death ... close enough to smell the charnel breath of the Reaper in a wreck that claimed the life of his friend. We still don't know what injuries may have occurred, or how those involved will fare.

But it's a sharp reminder, and one that has been experienced by far too many of us, to savor the blessings, and look past the aggravations, of our day-to-day lives.
Because they can, and sometimes are, snatched from us with a cruel capriciousness.

Our obsession of whether or not Ohio State's ability to club some who-dat into oblivion and what it means in national rankings that have no real importance for another month sort of lose their earnestness in the sights, sounds and smells of death.

It's waaay to morbid, I know ... and I regret feeling the need to wander in this realm. I certainly am not going to harrangue the Sons of Clemson for wishing our team the best in rankings and results. I'm not going to thump my chest and deride folks for worrying about things that aren't REALLY important.

This is Clemson football we're talking about ... this time of year, there isn't much more important than that.

I don't need to see Clemson score 70 points on outmatched opponents to feel good about the young mean who wear the orange. I hope you don't either.

I don't need Jesse Palmer's blessing to stand proudly with my people. I trust you don't either.

I won't need to see us pour kerosene down Wake Forest's throat just to see flames shoot out their rear end next Saturday.

No, I guess what I'm saying is to remember to savor double-digit road wins, rather than complain about them. Honor the victorious efforts of our young men, rather than disparage them. Embrace your fellow Sons of Clemson rather than hold them at arms length.

Because, as we were reminded last night, it can all be taken away so easily ... and permanently.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said, Rev!***

Sep 22, 2013, 9:32 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regarding Weak Florist..I'll bring the matches..

Sep 22, 2013, 9:39 AM

: )

Amen!***

Sep 22, 2013, 10:16 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: The day not promised

Sep 22, 2013, 10:56 AM

Excellent post Rev!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Refreshing 2 have some maturity & religious insight here!

Sep 22, 2013, 11:19 AM

GoTiGERS...no matter what your national ranking is..for you're Alway #1 in our hearts at Clemson SC.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2013, 11:37 AM

Well said , that really helps bring things into perspective, I wish Carlos a speedy recovery both physically and mentally.

Sep 22, 2013, 3:33 PM

Needs to be read by all TigerNetters. +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Sermon as always

Sep 22, 2013, 4:48 PM

Also thanks for the Strychnine on Thursday, too :)

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic