Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Summer Vacation Ideas - Advise welcome.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Summer Vacation Ideas - Advise welcome.

Apr 8, 2019, 12:56 PM

Wife has been knawing on my ### (not in a good way) about summer vacations.

Here are a few ideas that are running through my pea brain at the moment:

Jackson Hole - Out of budget for such a short notice. I told her that next year this would be good 2 go.

AirBNB beach house along the Outer banks - I hate the beach, but the fam and kids love it, so I can go along.

Historic Williamsburg / Busch Gardens - Wife's idea is to do that and spend some time in DC touring with the kids. I don't have an opinion either way on this one.

Cruise to somewhere besides the cheap/usual Nassau/Freeport. - Economical... would be fun most likely... econnomical... did I mention economical.

AirBNB Cuba - dude, this seems like a badasss trip. I found a guest house next door to an ancient stone fort right on Hemmingway Park, just outside of Havana for like $100/night. The dude lives below it and has his mom cook the meals for you. His dad is a taxi driver and can haul you around. I think there's some flight/customs red tape that may be a hassle to go through, otherwise this would be a no-brainer. Anybody have experience with this?

Pidgeon Forge / Dolly Wood - Wife threw that idea out there. Shrug. Fine by me. Anybody been there?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Vegas for the Aerosmith residency.***

Apr 8, 2019, 12:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buy a boat, make vacations center around said boat. PROFIT

Apr 8, 2019, 1:01 PM

My ocean trip got canned because of pregnancy this year though.

Seriously, we go to the Florida gulf coast and live like kings for a week for cheap AF. Beach front, private pool, and elevator for cheaper than a condo at Litchfield. And you can drive your car on the beach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be going to Ft. Walton at the end of June, need

Apr 8, 2019, 1:02 PM

anything?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Drink a 15 pack on crab island for me

Apr 8, 2019, 1:07 PM

I'll be about an hour east of there at the end of May.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good idea.

Apr 8, 2019, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Buy a boat, make vacations center around said boat. PROFIT ]

One of wife's suggestions was to blow the vacation money on a boat... then I reminder her that due to my lack of fore-sight, we had no "vacation money" and this would all need to be scraped together in the next two months. That's fine for a smaller vacation, but not enough to grab decent boat.

Seriously though, you can vacation in the Keys for pretty

Apr 8, 2019, 1:09 PM

cheap. Rent a boat, go snorkel the reefs, hang out in Key West for a day. If you can handle making the drive, it's a pretty economical trip.

This seems like a pretty good trip.

Apr 8, 2019, 2:04 PM

Not sure how well it'd go with kids, because honestly, that sounds like it adds an entire version of stress keeping them busy that I'd rather not deal with. Generally adults who want just to relax are pretty easy to deal with.

Neighbors just got back from somewhere in Florida and I was outside when they got home yesterday. I asked him how it went and he said "Well..we're never having kids!" They were in one house with 8 kids under 8 for 5 days and two days of rain at the beach. One couple basically dumped 2 their kids off on everybody else and they stayed shithoused the entire time.

Sounded like a waste of PTO time to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WifeofAyejoe almost got roped into a similar spring break

Apr 8, 2019, 2:17 PM

It was like 6 of her girl friends all going to N GA mountain cabin or some chit. These friend never asked her, just assumed she was going. All adults except her have, and were bringing, children under 10yo. Most 2 or 3 each. First they wanted her to pay the same as all the others just splitting it evenly instead of charging something per head in each family. Then she was going to be sleeping on a couch or some ish.

Finally i was like, why don't you just tell them you don't want to go and I'll take a couple days off and we'll VRBO with the dogs on Edisto for a long weekend?

I am now a hero and don't have to hear about all the ###### planning leading up to this disaster trip and the aftermath when she gets back pissed because she just sent 5 days with other peoples kids.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand thats very close to what this was

Apr 8, 2019, 2:26 PM

Our neighbor and her sister were in the same sorority in college, so this was several of her sorority sisters in college, their husbands and kids. All of them have kids in the same age range (<8 yo).

I guess it sounded like fun at first for her, but neighbors husband did not think so when they got back.

Interesting (maybe) neighbor fact: They do things a lot different than I do--they seem to be traveling somewhere every weekend. They just got back from a week in the Abacos about 2 weeks ago. I think they make good money, but they are always complaining about not having any money, and they rent the house they live in. I get the "you can't hide money!" comment often, like yesterday when I have the boat in the driveway. They have one car-a 6 year old Honda CRV with about 180K miles on it that he drives every day, several hours a day, in his sales gig.

But they do travel a lot.

A lot of people around my age seem to be like that

Apr 8, 2019, 2:36 PM

Seems exhausting. Couples who stay on the move like that seem to fight a lot, I dunno just my observations.

Its interesting you say that.

Apr 8, 2019, 2:38 PM

Because they do. Not as much as they used to, but he'd come over to the house and drink beer in the shed with me quite a bit for a while.

We did one trip like that with multiple families growing up.

Apr 8, 2019, 2:29 PM [ in reply to This seems like a pretty good trip. ]

One trip. Never went with another family and stayed in the same house again.

It's kind of like being on a boat, you don't need more than 1 person per 7' of boat. No more than one kid per 1000ft^2 of house.

I've heard some good things about Venezuela right now.***

Re: I've heard some good things about Venezuela right now.***

Apr 8, 2019, 1:03 PM

The guy across the hall from me is from there. His parents and sister are still there. He advised against going.

He was also eating fish again today at his desk... so I don't know WHAT to think.

Treat him like their government treats them....***

Apr 8, 2019, 1:04 PM

Turn off his lights, crap on his desk, and beat him senseles

Apr 8, 2019, 1:12 PM

?

Done.

Tell him company's biggest competitor did it***

Apr 8, 2019, 3:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

My idea of a great summer vacation

Go in the Fall or winter when it ain't so dang hot.

Easy thing - Cruise

Interesting thing - Williamsburg / Busch Gardens

Family building vacation - 6 day/5 night survival trip in McLovin woods. Only ($99/night - cheaper than Cuba). Guaranteed to bring your family closer together (get it?).

vacation without kids

Apr 8, 2019, 1:03 PM

YWIA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

We've done that 2 years in a row. Wife feels guilty

Apr 8, 2019, 1:05 PM

that the kids haven't left Lexington other than once to Charlotte and twice to Clemson in 2 years.

Re: We've done that 2 years in a row. Wife feels guilty

Apr 8, 2019, 1:06 PM

They'd be jacked to go stay in a hotel/motel in columbia, or to go to Carowinds for the day. I like low-maintenance kids.

We are trying one vacation with kids and one without

Apr 8, 2019, 1:07 PM

during the summer. It worked last year and appears to be materializing for this year as well.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah she needs to drink that guilt away

Apr 8, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to We've done that 2 years in a row. Wife feels guilty ]

kids DGAF. Send them to camp for a week while you and SarahAdidas bang it out in Havana

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

They're kids--Where the F are they supposed to go?***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:08 PM [ in reply to We've done that 2 years in a row. Wife feels guilty ]

Flying to Jackson Hole at the end of June (I think) and

Apr 8, 2019, 1:05 PM

flights are about $550 out of Charlotte. Cheaper out of Atlanta I think. Hotels are GOD AWFUL high, but we have friends we are crashing with. You can stay with them too if you are nice and buy all the drugs.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Flying to Jackson Hole at the end of June (I think) and

Apr 8, 2019, 1:09 PM

I figured flights would be around $400-500 per person.

Lodging - 1000-2000

Activities/food for the week - $2500

Rental car for week - $300-400

That roughly works out to be $6000/ for two adults,two kids for a week. That sucks... because that would be a sweet trip.

I told the wife that we'd look at doing it next year and that we should start throwing a few bucks aside every week to save for it.

Yeah, take out the hotel and the rental car and you get our

Apr 8, 2019, 1:12 PM

budget.

$1200 for flights
$1500 for fun ($300-ish per day)

$2700 to visit one of the most beautiful places in the United States

If you're going to hike and drive Yellowstone, you can cut

Apr 8, 2019, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Flying to Jackson Hole at the end of June (I think) and ]

That $2,500 in activities way down.

You can spend an entire day in Yellowstone for just a park pass. See Yellowstone falls/canyon, old faithful, etc. Go find a bison herd and watch them for a while.

Jackson Hole/Yellowstone in the Fall if you can...

Apr 8, 2019, 1:08 PM

Prices are cheaper because you're not in the summer season and it's before ski season. Jackson Hole has great wildlife, scenery and hikes. Plus it's easy to do the lower loop at Yellowstone. Upper loop may already be closed depending on when it starts snowing.

Can't comment on the rest of your suggestions because I hate going places with lots of people.

Jew fly TOTE1 out there to be your official photographer

Apr 8, 2019, 1:08 PM

and bull?

I was in Kennebunk Maine yesterday

Apr 8, 2019, 1:33 PM

And my whole vacation plans are going to be heading there during the summer.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How was that?

Apr 8, 2019, 1:35 PM

I saw the snap from there and meant to ask you.

I also floated the idea of finding a cabin somewhere in the far NE corner (vermont, maine, ect.) and staying there.

Keep in mind that it is expensive af

Apr 8, 2019, 1:39 PM

I bet there are some nice fishing spots nearby, and the lobster was sublime

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cruise. Cruise!

Apr 8, 2019, 1:34 PM

Jounge cruise May 23rd out of charleston!

I've done it.

Apr 8, 2019, 1:59 PM

Went with our neighbors and had a blast. Actually, we went twice--once in 2010 and again in 2013. Both times I stayed drunk for 4 days and wandered around the Bahamas. Neighbor liked planning the excursions, and IMO did an excellent job with it. So it was basically no stress on me having to chose what to do. I was just told to show up with money somewhere, and did it with a buzz.

Cheesy? I dunno...no cheesier than staying home and doing yard work, and partially working any way.

Walley World

Apr 8, 2019, 1:45 PM

https://youtu.be/jtyrDZG-eDo

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Cuba***

Apr 8, 2019, 1:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

28 replies and no one has helped this man out by suggesting

Apr 8, 2019, 1:53 PM

Disney, yet?

### is wrong with you people.

haha. thanks.

Apr 8, 2019, 1:56 PM

I put the squash on that one right off the bat.

I convinced my kids that it was super lame by showing them videos of Epcott.

Don't you have 2 kids?

Apr 8, 2019, 1:56 PM

I'm not sure how anything is economical with them. Sure won't be a cruise if you are buying an additional room.

Re: Don't you have 2 kids?

Apr 8, 2019, 1:57 PM

Yes. Two kids.

That's the kicker. Flights to ANYWHERE make a vacation $$$.

And driving more than 4 hours is pure h3ll, amirite?***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:05 PM

You can drug them

Apr 8, 2019, 2:06 PM

like you can with dogs?

Typically my kids get jacked up when we give them

Apr 8, 2019, 2:07 PM

cocaine

How about Benadryl?

Apr 8, 2019, 2:09 PM

They all appear to have seasonal allergies to me.

4 SRS, middle kid gets crazy wild on benadryl. If you look

Apr 8, 2019, 2:11 PM

it up, there is some chatter about some children going berserk on allergy meds and my middle boy is one of them. Told the doc and he acted like we were crazy. We quit giving it to him unless is was 100% necessary. Vacation would be hell for a day or two is you did benadryl on the way down.

How about prophylactic dramamine ?

Apr 8, 2019, 2:13 PM

They also appear to get very car sick.

I can imagine.

Apr 8, 2019, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't you have 2 kids? ]

The stress of keeping them busy would make it enough for me to not go.

That's probably why growing up and dad (rarely) took time off he'd just work on the house.

Yeah, butt hotel rooms are cheaper per person***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't you have 2 kids? ]

This is why I've been looking at cabin cruisers***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't you have 2 kids? ]

If you like sand, you should check out Kandahar.

Apr 8, 2019, 2:21 PM

Seriously, you can get there pretty much on a signature, and it's all-inclusive...food, wardrobe, and ammo.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AND they get to shoot guns!***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:27 PM

BIG guns!******

Apr 8, 2019, 2:41 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cuba sounds the best to me, but if your wife's like mine

Apr 8, 2019, 2:36 PM

Probably Busch Gardens/Williamsburg/DC - Since that is at the bottom of my preferences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic