Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stoudt or Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Stoudt or Watson

Sep 2, 2014, 9:11 AM

I know plenty of you probably have been asked this multiple times, but I cant help but wonder if any of you think that Watson actually looked more poised in the pocket while on the field then Stoudt did?

Stoudt looked scared and lost while Watson tucked the ball when the pocket closed and ran for it.

Unfortunately, I dont think Stoudt is the QB for the starting job.. I think Watson is going to be the bread and butter of the team for the position.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is ridiculous.

Sep 2, 2014, 9:15 AM

Stoudt looked pretty darn good in the first half. Most of his passes were on the money and I counted 3 drops for big plays. He led us on two TD drives and a drive which should have been a chip shot FG. Watson looked awesome on his drive in the first half. Both looked pedestrian in the second half but I don't blame them. I blame our lack of aggressiveness and our failure to pick up blitzes or call quick slants to combat those blitzes. Stoudt did nothing to lose the job Saturday.

Re: This is ridiculous.

Sep 2, 2014, 9:17 AM

While he did not do anything to lose the position. I am talking about overall. Stoudt did have some good throws. However, as the season goes on will he be the QB that will tuck the ball and run, much like he did in the first half? Or, will he be the QB that gets sacked more then we know?

I hope he looks to throw until the very end...

Sep 2, 2014, 9:19 AM

Our WR's are our most talented group on the offense. I'd rather give them a chance to get open and get them the ball than have either Stoudt or Watson run it.

Sep 2, 2014, 9:21 AM [ in reply to This is ridiculous. ]

Everyone was amazed at Watson's TD throw (including myself). Everyone has to realize that isn't the norm. If the LB would've turned and caught that ball, we would all be saying that he isn't ready to play at all. Cole did fine. The WRs played at lot worse than Cole IMO. There is obviously tremendous upside with Watson, but if I were coaching, I would be doing the exact same thing that Dabo is doing. Slowly getting DW time and letting him get more and more experience so he is 100% ready to run the show next year.

And that has nothing to do with the fact that Cole is a senior, it's more about Watson being a freshman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you. My main concern is with our OC. When

Sep 2, 2014, 9:27 AM

things start to go bad, he does not seem to have an answer or a backup plan for when the other team makes adjustments-----you must have one or two more options in the bag to pull out.

Sep 2, 2014, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: This is ridiculous. ]

A qb is taught if the linebacker ain't looking throw it by his ear, even at the highschool level, so Watson played that perfectly

Stoudt is a good QB.

Sep 2, 2014, 9:25 AM [ in reply to This is ridiculous. ]

The issue is that we need a play maker. #4 is a play maker.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

This is true as well and that's what I was saying during the

Sep 2, 2014, 9:29 AM

game. Nobody was making plays and we need a playmaker and he just may be that playmaker that we need. But----in the second half, he didn't look any better than Cole did and I'm going to have to put that on the coaches.

Both looked good and bad during the game

Sep 2, 2014, 9:16 AM

that opening drive by Cole was picture perfect. Watson definitely impressed with his scoring drive as well, not many college QB make that throw.

Watson is clearly more talented and has more arm strength imo. Cole is the reliable verteran that normally doesn't make mistakes, though that INT was him staring down the WR. He should have looked off the safety before making that throw.

All in all we have 2 very good Qbs and I have no problem with Clemson playing both equally during the year.

cole did ok this week but how can anybody say........

Sep 2, 2014, 9:52 AM

that he "normally doesn't make mistakes"?????????????????

until saturday he's never been put into ANY...........ANY pressure situations. Watson got more meaningful playing time vs UGA than Cole over his entire career (prior to UGA)

look stoudt did fine and was not the reason we lost, but fans saying preseason that he's a reliable QB that doesn't make mistakes is an asinine statement considering he's had ZERO pressure/meaningful playing time

My concern with Stoudt is that he may be reluctant to

Sep 2, 2014, 9:23 AM

throw the ball down the field and checks down too easily. I don't know that was happening without watching the game again, but I suspect it may have been.

Watson looked very talented and he may give our guys more confidence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It might be Watson more often because we need runners

Sep 2, 2014, 9:28 AM

in the backfield. if teams are simply going to blitz us because they don't respect the running game, then he can equalize that out.

Also did anyone notice that Watson always is looking downfield? Even when its obvious that he is going to scramble, he looks downfield as long as he can to throw the LB's off

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Stoudt or Watson

Sep 2, 2014, 9:33 AM

First off in the second half it wouldn't have mattered if Joe Montana was back there Pruitt sent the house and our O Line couldn't handle the pressure neither one is a good QB on there back! Honestly I think before the year is out Watson will take over I think he's just to talented for Cole to hold off! Cole is not a bad QB, Watson is more talented and just better for the system!

Re: Stoudt or Watson

Sep 2, 2014, 9:39 AM

Although Stoudt is serviceable, the sooner Watson is named the starter the better. Stoudt just doesn't have the talent. His ball doesn't have the zip needed to be effective consistently down field. The amazing catch by Scott could of been a TD if not underthrown. The PI called on UGA on the throw to Kitt is another example of a ball being underthrown. After a couple of weeks of game film, teams will realize this and put even more pressure on our LOS because they know Stoudt can't beat them deep with his arm or hurt them with his legs.

Both played well. No reason to turn on Stoudt.***

Sep 2, 2014, 9:40 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope to see a 50/50 split in playing time this week ...

Sep 2, 2014, 9:48 AM

Cole did nothing at all to "lose" the job this past Saturday, but after watching Watson, I'm not sure that he isn't capable of "taking" the job if given the chance.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic