Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Story: Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, better person
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Story: Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, better person

Apr 23, 2018, 12:41 PM

Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, but even better person

If you ran into Bennie Cunningham walking the halls of West-Oak High School in the northwestern corner of South Carolina, you might not know what to expect. What you got was one of the nicest and caring individuals you would ever care to meet. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, but even better person

Apr 23, 2018, 12:55 PM

sad to hear this. So many memories like the pic of him dragging db's down the field as he ran for extra yardage

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never 4Get BENNIE catching pass @ UT & hauling asss

Apr 23, 2018, 1:00 PM

past two small fast Vol DB’s for TD..in a heartbreaking loss (1 of 2 I saw in that crooked sec officiated place)..one causing Coach Red Parker to cry after game when getting on team bus.

R.I.P. TiGER “BC”!

And a Sharp Crisp Clemson Military Salute SIR!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never 4Get BeNNIE catching pass @ UT & hauling asss

Apr 23, 2018, 1:37 PM

That was '74, only winning season Red had @ Clemson. That game still gripes my butt. Cunningham was the bright spot during a pretty dismal era.

Re: Never 4Get BENNIE catching pass @ UT & hauling asss

Apr 25, 2018, 2:19 AM [ in reply to Never 4Get BENNIE catching pass @ UT & hauling asss ]

I was at that game in Neyland Stadium and the Vols couldn't tackle Benny all day! We lost when those tear away jerseys that Tennessee wore helped QB Conredge Holloway break free from Clemson defenders on a pass play and throw a hail Mary pass into the endzone . I also had the task of guarding Benny Cunningham in an intramural basketball game at Clemson. Thanks I told my team mates. Benny, rest in peace the Clemson family will miss you !

Re: Story: Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, better person

Apr 23, 2018, 1:00 PM

Was so sad to read he'd lost his battle with the big C. He truly exemplified "Best is the Standard."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 1:08 PM

They just do not get any better than Bennie, as a football player and as a person. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times and what an unassuming and humble person. He will be missed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 1:08 PM

that is all

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Apr 23, 2018, 1:09 PM
Bennie.jpg(90.8 K)

Got a picture with him last September at Sardi's. Always willing to meet a fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get it?

Apr 23, 2018, 2:07 PM

Neither of those are Bennie.

Wow. My deepest apologies cancer is a real bit**...

Apr 24, 2018, 8:47 AM

It turns large African American men into smaller ..Totally unrecognizable. Again my apologies for being wrong.

Apr 23, 2018, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Story: Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, better person ]

Who the h ell is that? Not Benny for sure

Apr 23, 2018, 10:04 PM

yes it is bennie. he had lost a lot of wt, even before he got sick. no doubt it is him. knew him in passing.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 10:33 PM

Looks white in the pic. My bad

Apr 24, 2018, 1:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Story: Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, better person ]

That certainly is my former teammate, Big Bennie Cunningham. He had indeed lost weight due to his health struggles. He looked very different than that 6'5", 252 lb freshman who could run like a deer! He ran over me one day in spring practice like I wasn't even there. I was simply a blip on his radar as he gracefully moved toward the end zone. What a spectacular specimen of a gifted, humble, talented, fast, tough beyond words, yet gentle as a man could be. A smile was always present upon greeting even after so many years, so many experiences, so many more accomplishments than I ever approached yet he was the true friend who never forgot who he was and where he came from.......Seneca, SC and Clemson University. We were bonded together because we had experienced life together for a few short years as teammates...... As Clemson Tigers football brothers. Nothing can ever come between us as college teammates, students, friends, men, the sweat, energy, effort, and toil on the field and in the classroom..............Experiencing life together yet being from such different backgrounds.

Big Ben was a man among boys while he was in college, and I'm very proud to count him as one of my friends....
No one can ever take that away from us, and I'm proud to count him as one who has touched my very existence.

Rest in peace, Brother Bennie, the world is a better place for having you here among us as a Clemson Tiger!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm 39yo, and worked at West-Oak for a year...

Apr 23, 2018, 1:39 PM

I'm not old enough to have known his greatness on the field, but his amazing smile and positive attitude with everyone was clear from day one.
His classroom was just a few down from mine. Being the new young guy, he was one of the first to reach out to me and make me feel welcome. He always put the most into his work with kids in the school that needed it most. When I asked about time with Clemson or Pittsburgh, he'd shrug and say, that was a lifetime ago... we were just young guys full of #### and vinegar trying to find our way.
RIP Bennie.. a truly generous, an remarkable human being.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 23, 2018, 1:47 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of Bennie Cunningham. It really hits home when you are a 1973 high school graduate. May the peace of God be with his family and the Clemson family during this time. May we celebrate his life as we mourn his death.

A gentle giant taken from us way too soon.RIP Bennie. *******

Apr 23, 2018, 2:02 PM

BC was my first "favorite Clemson player". I followed his

Apr 23, 2018, 2:06 PM

career with the Steelers, but then not-so-much after that. After reading today, it's obvious that his passing will be a major blow to the kids at West-Oak. Keep them in your prayers as you remember BC's family as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, better person

Apr 23, 2018, 2:37 PM

Great and true article.. Bennie was my Junior Counselor at Palmetto Boys State. He spent a few minutes in our room chatting with us, and was very personable. He was headed to Clemson in the Fall. Fast fwd a year, and I arrived on campus. At one point, I just happened to be on that side of campus, and met Bennie, coming up the sidewalk. He put out his hand, called my name, and said, "How are you doing?". I was totally shocked, and amazed, that he remembered my name, when it had been over a year, since I had seen him. I knew he was a special person, after experiencing that.
All the compliments here are well deserved! He will certainly be remembered and missed.
Blessings and comfort to his family and friends.. ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like he should have been in Ring of Honor as soon as

Apr 23, 2018, 3:46 PM

... as soon as he got his degree. His accomplishments on the field certainly warranted it.

Hate it has to be posthumously, but I have a feeling he'd be okay with that.

RIP Bennie C.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems like he should have been in Ring of Honor as soon as

Apr 23, 2018, 4:01 PM

Most definitely agree. 1975 was my first year with season tickets although I had attended many games beginning in 1959. Haven't seen a TE as good since with D Allen a solid second. He was an excellent representative of the university.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 23, 2018, 3:47 PM

IfI remember right his dad was a Clemson ag extension agent or something connected to Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a nice guy just like this article describes........

Apr 23, 2018, 4:02 PM

him - was in school at the same time he was - had a few classes with him. He didn't have an ego or act like a big-man because he was a successful football player. And he's one of the main reasons the Steelers became my favorite NFL team in the 70s and except for the Falcons still are today.

Remembering Bennie Cunningham: What a player and what a man

Apr 23, 2018, 4:18 PM

God Bless

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 4:24 PM

Bennie was one of the few bright spots in football during my 4 years at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Apr 23, 2018, 4:32 PM

Sorry to see this. RIP Benny! He and Stanley Morgan were far and away the best players I ever played against in High School. Will never forget him at Seneca, at Clemson or with the Steelers. That's when I became a Steeler fan!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 7:08 PM

Bennie was taking some graduate classes at Clemson when I was in school in the early 90s. I had a class with him and he was very humble but also very cool. He never brought up his athletic achievements but would always answer my question about what it was like to play in the league, what Terry Bradshaw was really like, and how does it feel to win a Super Bowl.

He was a great representative of the University.

Bennie was taking some graduate classes at Clemson when I was in school in the early 90s. I had a class with him and he was very humble but also very cool. He never brought up his athletic achievements but would always answer my question about what it was like to play in the league, what Terry Bradshaw was really like, and how does it feel to win a Super Bowl.

Apr 23, 2018, 8:44 PM

Bennie, you have fought the fight, and finished your last race, now it is time for you to rest under the shade of your favorite tree and have your last drink of cool water. Gone but never forgotten.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He Was/Is the Best TE in Clemson History (Not Close)

Apr 23, 2018, 8:57 PM

Extremely big, athletic and fast! Benny was usually the best player on the field when I attended games back in those days. He was also a very good blocker. Back then, TE's had to block well (unlike today). A First Class person in all respects. RIP Bennie!!!!

Apr 23, 2018, 9:05 PM

Prayers for his family. The numerous lives he touched through life will never forget him

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Apr 23, 2018, 9:51 PM

Remembering Bennie Cunningham: Great football player, but even better person

If you ran into Bennie Cunningham walking the halls of West-Oak High School in the northwestern corner of South Carolina, you might not know what to expect. What you got was one of the nicest and caring individuals you would ever care to meet. Full Story »

So sorry to hear of Benny's passing but know he's in a better place. As a Tiger tight end he had no equal and as and person he was so special. He made a difference in so many lives.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic