Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Still bothered about Dabo's "Repeated" rant on national TV towards a player..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

Still bothered about Dabo's "Repeated" rant on national TV towards a player..

Oct 15, 2019, 1:54 PM

and again I've had texts from friends whom I've gotten to support Clemson asking why..and when i say "it's a learning experience" they are appalled.

REPEATED (3 times) criticism is the problem, doing it once is ok and maybe twice especially since the player walked away from Dabo & hid..but 3 times!

I am too am appalled a bit or at least disappointed as he is a Christian..and he's done it 2-3 times over the last 4 years it seems, to a punter & KB2 in semi-game vs Bama.

Also, last week he lost it a bit due to a text concerning a possible injury.

Maybe stress & press negativity has caused him to vent his frustrations.

As a parent I would call him out privately for berating my Son 2-3 times on national TV.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you've been grabbed by the facemask , you get it.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:57 PM

And if you haven't, well then I just can't explain it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still bothered about Dabo's repeated & unnecessary rant on national tv towards a player..

Oct 15, 2019, 1:58 PM

I will say the punter almost deserved it....but not quite. Lol.

That was the dumbest decision I've ever seen on the football field.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still bothered about Dabo's repeated & unnecessary rant on national tv towards a player..

Oct 15, 2019, 2:01 PM

It was a hot read. Punter had the decision to attempt the conversion if they backed off heavy on punt return right/left . He misread it and failed terribly . But that's water under the bridge .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Still bothered about Dabo's repeated & unnecessary rant on national tv towards a player.. ]

It was a hot read. Punter had the decision to attempt the conversion if they backed off heavy on punt return right/left . He misread it and failed terribly . But that's water under the bridge .

Oct 15, 2019, 2:06 PM

That makes it even worse that Dabo berated him on the sideline then because he never should have had the option. If I remember correctly it was 4th and long deep in our own territory.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Still bothered about Dabo's repeated & unnecessary rant on national tv towards a player.. ]

Pretty sure Dabo said after the game he tried pulling that off all on his own, no?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was not a hot read- it was 4th and 15 from our own 30!!

Oct 16, 2019, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Still bothered about Dabo's repeated & unnecessary rant on national tv towards a player.. ]

it's not a hot read based on yards to gain or field position. Total screw-up in a big moment. Tarheels got a TD out of it. He deserved it. He came back with the great play in the semi when Dabo gave him the chance.

Bill LOL

Oct 15, 2019, 2:00 PM

They had to call a TO because BT wasn't close when they decided to kick the FG. Inside the RZ the jicker shouldn't have been lollygagging on the sidelines,he should have been right there. You & your friends are not what Dabo's concerned about, he's concerned about his team and coaching his boys.

I would have thought that someone of your age would have had

Oct 15, 2019, 2:01 PM

their balls by now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would have thought that someone of your age would have had

Oct 15, 2019, 3:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:02 PM

I'm not the least bit appalled. Potter deserved it.

different era but Woody Hayes cussed kicked/ hit hisplayers

Oct 15, 2019, 2:03 PM

Yet they all loved him. Not saying he was right but you find none who didnt like and admire him

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And ours***

Oct 15, 2019, 8:49 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 15, 2019, 2:04 PM

We don't know the whole story. I think there was more to it than just missing the kick. Dabo is not known for going crazy on the sideline for something like that.
And yes I have been grabbed by the facemask by a coach more than once.

Bill, you should delete this***

Oct 15, 2019, 2:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

you are assuming he can remember typing it

Oct 15, 2019, 4:17 PM

First things first

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My view

Oct 15, 2019, 2:05 PM

We have to see what the future holds for Mr. Potter. The issue, as I understand it was not missing the FG, it was being mentally unprepared to take the field and make a field goal.

When you have the privilege of wearing the uniform and being on the field, you have the responsibility to be totally focused on that moment and your potential role. So if he were off in dreamland then he deserves some correction.

That correction could cause him to take his role and opportunity much more seriously. The result could be an NFL career worth millions. The day could come where he wants to thank Dabo for getting his priorities straight.

Now all that said, personally I was not happy with the rant because you can correct the problem with far less drama. Isn't he always saying there is no drama? It was not right to do that to him in that manner.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:09 PM

The football field is no place for pansies or snowflakes. You are either the victor or the loser. There is no in-between.

You have no idea what's been going on behind the scenes with him. My niece, who is a student there, told me that he is a big-time partier. So it doesn't surprise me that Dabo sees this and lit a fire under his butt.

It's probably going to be the best thing for him in the long run.

If Dabo feels it's necessary, then I support it.

^ Exactly TigerPawClemson1...

Oct 15, 2019, 2:10 PM

Not in that manner & 3 times ranting at player.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^ Exactly TigerPawClemson1...

Oct 15, 2019, 3:08 PM

Either the "light bulb" comes on or it doesn't. Again, you don't know what has happened in the background. Sometimes public shaming works when private conversations are not being heard.

As you said it has been 2-3 times over the past 4 years. That's a very small number.

Dabo chooses these moments to help players realize the importance of the situation.

A coach who never yells is a coach who never gets the attention of players who are not in the right place mentally.

Sure calm conversations can result in learning, but only when the listener is already in a place mentally to receiver the information.

Yelling is a tool in the bag that can be used to reach someone who needs to learn.

While one tool can't be used for every job, each one does have its time and place.

Just like making players run for punishment, yelling can be used in an abusive and unproductive way, but its presence is not always a negative.

The fact that there is a shock factor when Dabo does this means that he is using this tool sparingly.

There are numerous coaches who yell constantly and nobody notices because they are numb to it.

Finally, the idea that Dabo shouldn't yell at players because he is Christian is a misguided thought.

Being a Christian does not mean one must be weak or passive. I've heard pastors yell at key points in a sermon to make sure they the congregation knows the information is vital.

Maybe Dabo has reached the point where he feels the need to grab Potter's attention before he wanders too far in a negative direction. If Potter recovers from this and goes on to be a Pro Bowl kicker in the NFL, maybe Dabo made him wake up.

Im disappointed in Dabo....

that he didnt use a megaphone and blast it over the entire Stadium.

maybe next time though....and if I were him, I would smirk at the camera too

I'm bothered by fans who think

it wasn't warranted...

Potter's great on kickoffs, but his focus (or lack there of) will cost us big time. we've gotten too spoiled as fans.

Maybe he needs a bit of tough love.

Re: Still bothered about Dabo's "Repeated" rant on national TV towards a player..

Oct 15, 2019, 2:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Still bothered about Dabo's "Repeated" rant on national TV towards a player..

Oct 15, 2019, 2:23 PM

I love it

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 15, 2019, 2:15 PM

Yes, I'm sure we all wish we had Mark Richt as coach. A good Christian who never yelled at his players and was constantly criticized by the fan base because he wasn't passionate enough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIL

Oct 15, 2019, 2:16 PM

even old farts can be snowflakes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:20 PM

There will always be negatives but Coach Swinney knows his players and how to coach them. No snowflakes needed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's football not tiddlywinks***

Oct 15, 2019, 2:22 PM

Oct 15, 2019, 2:22 PM

This is almost as pathetic as you sticking up for Chad Kelly.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The solution is simple...

Oct 15, 2019, 2:40 PM

If a player doesn't want to get his a$$ chewed-out on national television, do your job and don't mess-up.

Sometimes a little butt-cuttin' is necessary, as was the case with Potter, and I have absolutely no problem with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Bill You Have Caught Milleniatius....Please Beat on Gen Z

Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 PM

Moar...Make them tough again :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 2:53 PM

Maybe Potter would be happier at an institution where he can vanish on the sidelines at inopportune times then miss point blank kicks in perfect weather conditions with no repercussions whatsoever.

Dabo may have thought this was regional coverage,

Oct 15, 2019, 3:15 PM

In which case 3 chew-outs would have been acceptable.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:28 PM

They are some good post in this thread. The rest of you should just get over it.

Focus

Go Tigers........

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Oct 15, 2019, 3:32 PM

Maybe we should not play on TV if people get this triggered over a coach yelling...

Two Out Of Three National Championships

Oct 15, 2019, 6:53 PM

Dabo can yell at who he wants to yell at. Have you ever watched Nick Saban? There are a bunch of gutless wonders on this board. This is football. Not golf. It is all about doing your job. If you don't take your job seriously and you don't do your job, you are going to hear about it. No big deal. And all of this recruiting crap is just a joke. Players want a coach who pushes them. The comments on this board against Dabo embarrass me. I just hope all of the comments are from Coots.

Oct 15, 2019, 7:08 PM

Put on some big boy pants. Christians can get mad. Jesus beat the money changers with a whip. If you think Dabo is bad, watch Kirby Smart a while and get back to me. If that's not enough, watch Saban.

Oct 15, 2019, 7:09 PM

Since when does "being a Christian" mean you never show feelings of anger or annoyance? Last I checked being Christian meant you know you're not perfect and need God in your life.

Now that's out of the way.

What the Hell are you on about, LBB? Dabo shooed Potter away. Then Dabo decided he wasn't done with his "teaching moment". Potter wasn't slinking about hiding anywhere. He knew Dabo was getting on his butt for good reason. And from what I could see Potter was listening to him.

And if a parent did come say something to Dabo about why he yelled at their son. I'm certain they should be left to feel they have zero reason to be involved in their son's football career. And the son's emabarrassment would be because of their parent not because of Dabo.

To say I'm disappointed in you for this post is an understatement, LBB.

Oct 15, 2019, 7:11 PM

Yep. The players are all adults. It's NONE of their parents business.

Oct 15, 2019, 7:38 PM

Tell us the whole story, Bill. I mean give us some context since you’re judge and jury and all. Otherwise, stop clogging up the bandwidth at the old folks home. And lay off the sauce.

Please let it go

Oct 15, 2019, 8:04 PM

It's been three days.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Are you the cheese?

Oct 15, 2019, 8:26 PM

Because it stands alone.

Good luck with that take.

Oct 15, 2019, 8:41 PM

You friggin sissy!!

Oct 15, 2019, 8:49 PM

Dabo is coaching him hard because he knows Potter can be better. He knows Potter did not have his head in the game and wasn't ready to do his job when the time came. He cares enough about Potter to push him to excel. Dabo could have just put him on the bench and went with "next man up". He cares about Potter and sees what he can be. Potter will either rise to the occasion and regain his job or wilt. Time will tell.

People respond to different...

Oct 15, 2019, 8:52 PM

motivations. Some won't respond to yelling, some won't respond to the nice guy approach. If you're a "player's" coach whose nice all the time, what exactly are you going to do when one or more of your players aren't responding? Keep on patting them on the back and hope it turns out for the best? I'm guessing you've never been to a practice. I guarantee much "worse" goes on there than what you saw on TV. And I'm sure any phone calls from parents concerned about yelling are politely ignored and rightly so.

I haven’t read all of the responses, but I’m guessing your post won’t be very popular.

Oct 15, 2019, 8:53 PM

I don’t have a problem with Dabo disciplining his players. I think he generally does a good job showing them enthusiastic support while also correcting them when necessary. I don’t doubt that Dabo had a valid reason to be upset with Potter.

Do I think he could’ve handled his frustration with Potter better? Absolutely! Potter is a 19 year-old kid. Kids make mistakes.

The reality is that Dabo lost his composure. However, none of us are perfect. Dabo got wrapped up in the emotion of the game. It happens. Hopefully he apologized to Potter (and hopefully to Potter’s family too). Hopefully Potter apologized for what he did wrong, and both will try to do their jobs better next time.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Well done.***

Oct 18, 2019, 5:26 PM

Wow Bill...bad enough that you are this upset about a player getting

Oct 15, 2019, 9:36 PM

a talking to on the sideline, but are you raising the stakes by pointing out that we might lose your hard-earned fan recruits?

This is getting serious!

null

Let's see if BTP is ready to kick when needed next time.

Oct 15, 2019, 9:36 PM

Stay tuned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are "appalled" because you are too lazy to find out...

Oct 15, 2019, 9:44 PM

...what transpired. Instead of blabbing on and on why not take the time to educate yourself on the matter instead of jumping head first into your A$$uming.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Potter’s transgressions occurred largely in private

Oct 15, 2019, 10:20 PM

perhaps Dabo’s handling of it should’ve been as well.

Hopefully they have both apologized for not doing their jobs as well as they could’ve, and have shaken hands and moved on.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 15, 2019, 10:16 PM

Perhaps Dabo has some personal issues he's dealing with? Seems he is a bit thin skinned this season. It shows how stressed he is. Maybe the $9 million dollar man is human?

Oct 15, 2019, 10:49 PM

Bill, ####!

Maybe football isn’t for you or your boy.

Oct 15, 2019, 10:52 PM

Perhaps you should become a chess fan Bill.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe football isn’t for you or your boy.

Oct 15, 2019, 10:55 PM

maybe bill should stick to getting one of the lefties elected. lol

Oct 15, 2019, 11:02 PM

Good stuff Bill.

Oct 15, 2019, 11:03 PM

probably the dumbest post I have seen on here and that is saying something with all the other idiots posting

Oct 15, 2019, 11:08 PM

Those kickers are somebody's daughters you sickos!

Oct 16, 2019, 7:39 AM

Is this real? This has to be trolling, right? There’s no way people are actually upset by this. A man who gets paid millions of dollars to make sure these players do what they’re supposed to do yelled at another man for making a mistake, and we’re “appalled” by this? Again, this can’t be real

Oct 18, 2019, 5:21 PM

Your post should be quarantined. It's too offensive and disruptive to the status quo of Tiger Net.

says The guy who just dug it back up***

Oct 18, 2019, 6:35 PM

Alright...enough already!

Oct 18, 2019, 6:45 PM

lightbulbbill® , you're out of your lane! Be an athletic supporter!
Stick to wattage and bulbs...don't be a pot-stirrer! Leave that to the shorties, like cutigerbob® . That's his schtick! ;)

Have a great Friday night!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic