Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Steele looking for "dominating" defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Apr 30, 2010, 5:27 PM

Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, entering his second season at the helm of the Tiger defensive unit, would like to see his players dominate almost every play from scrimmage. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not

Apr 30, 2010, 7:09 PM

become a tough place to play?

it's lost it's mystique over the last decade or so...***

Apr 30, 2010, 7:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

When we started losing to teams at home...

Apr 30, 2010, 7:18 PM [ in reply to "Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not ]

that we shouldn't lose to.

Back in the day,

Apr 30, 2010, 7:27 PM [ in reply to "Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not ]

Unless we were playing UGA or a highly ranked FSU, wins at home were almost automatic.

Losses were rare, rare, rare.

It was definitely not as loud in DV this past year. I love

Apr 30, 2010, 7:48 PM [ in reply to "Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not ]

to stand up and yell in DV. I wish everyone would get
on board this year and get as loud as the Miami game in 2005 and the GTech game in 2006.

It was loud against FSU this year. Not like against Miami..

May 2, 2010, 12:06 PM

but the "we will rock you" moment was pretty special.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not

Apr 30, 2010, 10:42 PM [ in reply to "Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not ]

maybe if we actually played some night games, it would get back to being a tough place to play. the atmosphere is just more electric at night as opposed to noon or 3:30, which is when all of our games are played nowadays, except for maybe one a year at most

Ya'll must be too young to remember.

May 1, 2010, 9:48 AM

DV being a tough place to play has very little to do with the crowd, day or night or time of afternoon just does not matter. When the team captures what Steele is talking about and The Paw quates to true fear in opponents, then nothing will matter except what happens on the field. Yes, night games are great. Yes, a big loud crowd is great. The the true fear and respect of every team that we face is the only way that DV will once again be feared. Our guys must regain that confidence that has been lost over the "soft" years. Maybe we are finally on our way back.

Re: Ya'll must be too young to remember.

May 1, 2010, 10:51 AM

Yhe defense might need to be more dominating but it sure has heck has been the strength of the team over the last 6 years. Steele is very lucky to be handed such talented players to work with. I am sure he knows that though.

You obviously have no memory of the 80's...

May 1, 2010, 10:05 AM [ in reply to "Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not ]

Especially the late 80's. EVERY loss at home then was an upset regardless of who we were playing, and our defense was annually considered one of the best in the nation.

No offense youngster, but we were once MUCH more than we are now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like Dabo said in a pregame message to the team.

May 1, 2010, 10:14 AM [ in reply to "Reclaim DV as a tough place to play"?? WTH? When did DV not ]

Like Dabo said in a pregame message to the team that Clemson being an underdog in the Valley should never happen!

Re: Like Dabo said in a pregame message to the team.

May 1, 2010, 3:25 PM

A coach on TCU'S staff told me during half-time of our game this year; that this is new Clemson and no one fears Clemson anymore. Teams once feared playing in death valley more so than in the swamp in the 80's.CTB turned us into a soft team.

Re: Like Dabo said in a pregame message to the team.

May 2, 2010, 2:23 AM

Your commit is the most absolute truth of this whole post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Steele looking for "dominating" defense

May 2, 2010, 7:05 PM

No one loves a good defense more than a Clemson fan, but the days of a team dominating like we did in the 80's is over. The cut of scholarships, the rise of many 'small college' teams that can offer TV time and playing time to almost top-notch players has leveled the playing field. Clemson used to recruit players to sit on the bench just so that other teams couldn't have them. We can't do that anymore. This is the reason that Coaches have become much more valuable than in the old days. All D-1 schools are recruiting many talented players, but the coaches are the wildcard that allows a school to excel in sports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet Alabama put together a dominating defense.***

May 3, 2010, 10:51 AM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic