Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stands to reason we’ve got to get economy rolling again asap which means..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Stands to reason we’ve got to get economy rolling again asap which means..

Apr 7, 2020, 9:37 AM

we take a calculated risk when it’s feasible time-wise to average out economic survival vs people survival.

Now that’s a Peak not yet talked about.

Glad I don’t have to be involved in that highly controversial decision since it should be a heated one.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

Apr 7, 2020, 9:53 AM

I own a small business. Luckily, we're in technology and can easily work from home, so there's minimal impact right now other than not being able to go on sales calls or network. But there are a lot of businesses suffering right now and many will not recover.

If nothing else, this pandemic has taught us about the interconnectivity of all businesses and how we work together to create a society. When this is over and we don't have barbers or bar tenders, what then? At some point, we must return to normal or else the recovery will take years.

I really feel for those people that are out of work right now and staying home worrying how they're going to pay their bills. These stimulus checks will certainly help, but they're not a substitution for a pay check.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree

Apr 7, 2020, 10:26 AM

The stuff hasn't hit the fan yet, and I hope the toll is much more minimal than I fear. I predict some very, very trying times for many, if not most all businesses, and us as individuals and families, as well. I hope I'm wrong!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Essential Careers"

Apr 7, 2020, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Agree ]

If nothing else, I hope this starts making young people think about being in what are widely considered "essential" careers, typically in STEM. Many of these industries have been untouched.

I think we'll see similar to 2008 when luxury industries are largely affected, as people won't be spending money on things they don't need anymore.

There are thousands of jobs that are "recession-proof" and hopefully these will be emphasized more

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Essential Careers"

Apr 7, 2020, 1:05 PM

We desperately need more STEM programs, even at the tech/juco level. And we need a ton of high school grads to go into these programs. The H1B and L1 visa programs need to go away. We're basically importing hundreds of thousands of foreigners (mainly Indians) to do basic technology jobs in the US because there aren't enough qualified Americans. It's ridiculous. I have a younger relative that was too lazy to go to school. Now he complains about making $10/hour in an unskilled job and I'm hiring people his age at 3x-4x as much as he makes, with full benefits and 401k.

Re: "Essential Careers"

Apr 7, 2020, 2:35 PM

Yes we are. It put a lot of people at state gov out of a job... Tanked the morale and they pay those Indians well.. Way more than my team was making.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What we are doing now is not sustainable for very long.

Apr 7, 2020, 10:36 AM

The best purely medical solution will destroy the economy. The best purely economic solution will result in more covid19 deaths. There is no great solution that will make everybody happy; a lot of people are going to suffer either way. We all need to realize, however, that while some precautions and guidelines may remain in place for a while, the economy must and will be opened back up sooner rather than later.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

agree, let's all order new cars

Apr 7, 2020, 10:43 AM

from one of those car delivery services.

Re: Stands to reason we’ve got to get economy rolling again asap which means..

Apr 7, 2020, 1:20 PM

IMO, the smart thing to do is everyone should stay disciplined and stretch the quarantine to the end of April to make sure we don't have a quick upward surge in infections and hospitalizations. If everyone busts out too early, we may be forced to "return to GO" which is the nightmare scenario.

Perhaps in late April, some of the more essential industries can start ramping back up and by June 1st we get the entire train out of the station!

But we've gotta get testing for COVID-19 and anitbodies on a mass basis going really soon to gather enough data on where we really stand. The longer we keep flying blind, the more likely things go south again.

My 2 cents: I'm not as concerned about a 2nd wave later in the year as a lot of folks. What we cannot have is a 2nd wave in May because we broke quarantine 2-3 weekly too early in April.

Re: Stands to reason we’ve got to get economy rolling again asap which means..

Apr 7, 2020, 2:10 PM

thanks. i'd prefer not to take a calculated risk that involves me or loved ones with a 25% chance of making it off a ventilator while still breathing. Let's just do what we've gotta do. If that means the economy gets reorganized along Marxist/Leninist lines, well, that's better than being nailed up in a pine box.

i bought some lightbulbs

Apr 7, 2020, 3:57 PM

the old school kind

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic