Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of teachers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 571

Speaking of teachers

Feb 22, 2018, 1:07 PM

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/south-carolina-s-teacher-shortage-nears-crisis-but-it-s/article_448aee34-fb9c-11e7-9eb1-139e6df651d8.html

If you want a new career where you only work 190 days a year, there's about to be a #### ton of jobs.

A raise sounds nice except the last time we got a 2% raise, our insurance went up 3%

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

sounds good except for the

Feb 22, 2018, 1:21 PM

KIDS

and the pay

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Long article. Still reading. Waiting for it.

Feb 22, 2018, 1:23 PM

BINGO! They finally got to it. I know more than a few teachers, longtime teachers and some fresh out of college, who enter the profession only to leave because they are not teaching children, but preparing them for standardized tests. I see this in my own son's school. He is in third grade right now, and the WHOLE goal of the school, from the principal to the teachers, is to have third graders prepared to pass the state's reading exam. If a student fails that exam, they are not allowed to progress to fourth grade. So math takes a back seat. ALSO, students who are already well above third grade in their reading skills are basically hung out to dry while teachers spend their time trying to help those students with problems. My son is bored in class all the time in some subjects. He certainly is not being pushed. Few elementary school students are being pushed. The only push is for those who have problems to meet the standards. That's all that matters. And it totally derails the teaching process and screws many kids out of being able to reach their full potential. It also angers teachers when they have to teach for tests, and not to learn. My son will not receive a letter grade until 6th grade. His freaking report card has about 60 different categories of assessment and he gets a 1,2,or 3 in each of the 60 categories. 1 means he does not "meet the requirements", 2 means he meets the requirements, and 3 means he has mastered the requirement. And then to sit and hear the teachers explain that a 2 is fine and that's what they really want. For the kid with all 3's, well, they're bored I promise. And when the standards change, the whole curriculum changes. There is no continuity.

Here....from the article:

The Education Department committee solicited feedback from educators about why teachers leave the profession. Among the 197 responses, the most common complaint, after teacher pay and a lack of classroom support, regarded the demands of assessments and accountability.

"What we know from having taught is not valued, and they’re constantly changing what they think should be taught in the classroom," said former first-grade teacher MaryEllen Woodside, who ended her 40-year teaching career at the Charleston County School District in June. "There's less and less time to do the things that we know matters most at that age."

For Cantrill, teaching was never about the money. He started working for the Berkeley County School District in August 2013, his first teaching gig after earning his master's in secondary social studies education from the University of South Carolina.

A Goose Creek native who attended Berkeley County schools, Cantrill never wavered in his commitment to become a teacher — until he actually started the job. Teaching, Cantrill had long assumed, was a creative profession where instructors had autonomy within their classrooms in what and how they taught their subject areas.

Instead, Cantrill felt increasingly bogged down by competing state and district standards. He found himself spending a lot of time preparing students for an array of standardized tests when he would have rather been teaching material that interested them.

He said he had assumed "the role of robot." By his third year at Cane Bay, Cantrill was weighing different options for his future and perusing job boards online.

"That was really disheartening to me," Cantrill said recently, "and I definitely could not do that for another 30 years."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which then leads to the high schoolers I have

Feb 22, 2018, 1:30 PM

who can't do anything beyond finding words in the book and plugging it into a worksheet.

Ask them to create something and prepare to spend the next week with freaking out students and parents.

"create a law that protects the environment and then defend that law in your presentation"

Ho Lee Fukk

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. That's easy. Try repeal an environmental law

Feb 22, 2018, 2:35 PM

and justify why it is not needed. Out of thousands, I'm sure there's one you can ####can with minimal impact and maximum benefits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just use the word explain

Feb 22, 2018, 2:38 PM

that'll tank the GPA's

Getting us ready for remote instruction

Feb 22, 2018, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Long article. Still reading. Waiting for it. ]

with unskilled monitors that supervise kids while they are taught by a remote expert. This insures all kids learn (are indoctrinated) the same across the state. That one master teacher gets paid the big bucks, there are some mid-level lackeys that grade papers and tutor but the majority of the school employees are minimum wage supervisors - they know how to turn on the lights and keep the kids from fornicating and that's about it.

There are already pilot programs across the state under the guise of being able to provide advanced education but you wait - it's coming for the masses.

It will be great though, coaches won't have to go to the trouble of becoming certified teachers.

https://www.scgssm.org/academics/virtual-accelerate

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Getting us ready for remote instruction

Feb 22, 2018, 2:42 PM

It will be great though, coaches won't have to go to the trouble of becoming certified teachers.

Thank God.

But yeah, online school is what it's going to end up being.

Then watch for privatized (or sponsored) interscholastic sports teams

AKA, AAU right?***

Feb 22, 2018, 2:55 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Just the whole travel ball mentality

Feb 22, 2018, 2:56 PM

to start with.

Parents think that their kid is going to get drafted in the 8th grade and so they need to make sure they play year round to prepare

It's killing rec ball.

Feb 22, 2018, 3:01 PM

And kids arms at least in baseball. We had three 12 and 13 year olds, in our league alone, have tommy john because they'd been firing curve balls and sliders non stop in year round baseball...

It's frustrating..

GO TIGERS!!

Had a kid getting recruited hard

Feb 22, 2018, 3:05 PM

his sophomore and junior year for pitching. Parents decided he didn't need a rest since 8th grade. Warned them constantly to let him take a rest even tried to sit him on games we knew we didn't need him for. Parents would throw an absolute ####### fit. Senior year, tommey johns. No more scholarships. Going to tech for welding.

Yep***

Feb 22, 2018, 3:19 PM

GO TIGERS!!

Same goes for college majors that are basically vocational

Feb 22, 2018, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Getting us ready for remote instruction ]

Not sure why you need to professors to teach in colleges if you just want some set of skills or vocational learnings that will help you get a job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck, in that case just Youtube it.

Feb 22, 2018, 4:53 PM

That's where I learn all my plumbing and electrical skills.

Kids should be able to pass the standardized tests...

Feb 22, 2018, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Long article. Still reading. Waiting for it. ]

without the teachers "teaching to the test," right? Like, the standardized tests are just supposed to measure a minimum. If you're teaching good lessons, then you'd think the students could meet that minimum while you're getting to tech what you want.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But they are not. And that impacts funding.

Feb 22, 2018, 5:03 PM

So all hands are on deck for the tests so they receive the highest PAY possible. As long as they get everyone past the test, all is well. Doesn't matter how far beyond that you a student may get, or how much less he learns in another area. Then off to meet the requirements of the next test.

Point is, if you teach in a traditional manner, not all students are going to pass these tests. That's just a fact. So they pour everything into getting them past each test (evaluation as they call them).

Furthermore, some of what they're demanding is way above grade level.

Take this third grade math question...

Bob has $20. He buys 40 pencils and has $4 left over. How much did Bob pay for each pencil?

Re: Speaking of teachers

Feb 22, 2018, 3:21 PM

seems they would be able to ask whatever pay they wanted. That is the way it is in my industry, tons of jobs with no one to fill them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 571
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic