Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some interesting mid-season stats to chew on...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,930

Some interesting mid-season stats to chew on...

Oct 16, 2019, 11:06 AM

Here are the offensive and defensive stats for Alabama, Clemson and LSU (ranking followed by total ypg):

Total Offense:
Alabama:6 (536.8 ypg)
Clemson:12 (497 ypg)
LSU:2 (561 ypg)

Rush Offense:
Alabama:58 (170.8 ypg) (31.8% of total offensive production)
Clemson:15 (238.8 ypg) (48% of total offensive production)
LSU:68 (165.5 ypg) (29.5% of total offensive production)

Pass Offense:
Alabama:3 (366 ypg) (68.2% of total offensive production)
Clemson:52 (258.2 ypg) (52% of total offensive production)
LSU:2 (395.5 ypg) (70.5% of total offensive production)

Total Defense:
Alabama:36 (336 ypg)
Clemson:3 (254.8 ypg)
LSU:25 (316 ypg)

Rush Defense:
Alabama:47 (133.2 ypg)
Clemson:22 (105.4 ypg)
LSU:13 (91.8 ypg)

Pass Defense:
Alabama:44 (202.8 ypg)
Clemson:2 (150.3 ypg)
LSU:68 (224.2 ypg)

Some things that jump out at me in these stats is that Alabama and LSU look to be mirror images of one another. On offense they are both heavily reliant on the passing game to get their yardage. Makes me wonder if they face a good pass defense if they will struggle. Clemson, on the other hand, seems to have a good balance of rushing and passing to account for our offensive yardage.

On Defense, Clemson seems to have the edge over both Alabama and LSU. LSU's rush defense seems to be really good, but is offset by their pass defense which is their Achilles heel. As I suspected, this is probably the worst Alabama defense since the early years of Saban's Alabama tenure. I can't recall another time that Saban's Alabama defense has been ranked out of the top 20. Clemson's defense is the best of the 3 (statistically) with pass defense being a strength.

I think it would definitely be an interesting matchup for Clemson to play either Alabama or LSU. Their strength (passing offense) against our strength (passing defense) would be make for a good game. I give our offense an edge over both of their defenses.

The trouble with pass reliant offenses is that they are so dependent on the QB (more so than a balanced offense). If Tua or Burrow go down - one wonders if these teams will be able to maintain their advantage over their opponents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some interesting mid-season stats to chew on...

Oct 16, 2019, 11:09 AM

Awesome , thnx for the info..TU... Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2019, 11:33 AM

Great information. A couple more stats I would love to see is number of players seeing playing time per game and number of pass attempts to get those offensive stats.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Oct 16, 2019, 11:37 AM

Ever since we came out in a 3 man front I keep looking for some team to line up and run over us...

But it just hasn't happened. I'm starting to think maybe BV knows more about defense than I do???

Oct 16, 2019, 11:38 AM

Ya think? lol

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Oct 16, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Some interesting mid-season stats to chew on... ]

how many hold back guys do you employ?

Oct 16, 2019, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Some interesting mid-season stats to chew on... ]

All about fitting the gaps and playing your assignment. BV seems to have embedded that message.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Oct 16, 2019, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Some interesting mid-season stats to chew on... ]

CUGRAD90 said:

Ever since we came out in a 3 man front I keep looking for some team to line up and run over us...

But it just hasn't happened. I'm starting to think maybe BV knows more about defense than I do???

T A&M was gashing us somewhat (5-6 ypc) in our base 4-3 defense. Then BV dropped us into a 3-3-5 with the LBs deeper than normal. By conventional wisdom, our 6-in-the-box positioning should have given them a field day rushing the football. Instead we shut down the running game and started putting pressure on Mond.

How come?

By starting the LBs deeper, the OL could not reach them without going downfield. If the OL came out to block, it revealed the play to be a designed run; if the OL held their ground, it was an RPO. The LBs were still attacking the LoS, but the 5 DBs keyed off the OL movement.

Add to that BV's primary doctrine of 'anybody can rush the QB', and the OL had no idea where the pressure would be coming from.

The elasticity of our 3-3-5 overcame a generation's worth of offensive dogma in the face of a modern RPO offense.

The man is truly a mad scientist!

Oct 16, 2019, 6:47 PM

great analysis, all pointing to the genius of BV

Oct 16, 2019, 11:45 AM

Good stuff!

Oct 16, 2019, 11:45 AM

Good stuff!

Oct 16, 2019, 12:06 PM

So

Control the clock by running the ball and driving down the field.

Impact their passing offense by just 20% of their average production with a good pass rush and secondary.

WIN!

Both teams are one dimensional.

Thanks Man! With this kind of defense, come play off time

Oct 16, 2019, 12:36 PM

people are going to be like, "Oh I can't believe Joe Burrow and LSU just got blown out by Clemson"...Joe Burrow is not throwing more than 250 yards on Clemson and play-off Clemson will easily hang 500 total yards on any opponent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks Man! With this kind of defense, come play off time

Oct 16, 2019, 4:35 PM

"LSU beat themselves, and Burrow had the worst game of his career. He just made some bad passes which is uncharacteristic of him, but he's clearly still the better qb between him and Trevor. Just look at his stats over the course of the season, and the big wins they had all year."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks Man! With this kind of defense, come play off time

Oct 16, 2019, 7:00 PM

Yet Trevor is the player the NFL is salivating for.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2019, 1:25 PM

Great stats here--thanks!

Oct 16, 2019, 5:56 PM

Great information! Go Clemson Tigers!!!

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,930
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic