Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad....

Dec 5, 2017, 9:56 PM

They're acting like they had to settle for their fourth choice like USCjr did with Boom.

see the link: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=651504.0

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad....

Dec 5, 2017, 9:59 PM

I think he's a great option for a program like that. They will be pleasantly surprised with the offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2017, 12:23 AM

As long as Morris learned to adjust plans according to the talent he has....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Ah yes the good ole "Cole Stoudt was actually a great QB

Dec 6, 2017, 8:58 AM

but needed somebody that could adjust their system to him" argument. Love that one.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:01 PM

I believe Coach Morris will figure out a way to pull everyone together and will win.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:02 PM

What's the Clemson fan perspective on the hire? Good/bad? If Dabo left would you entertain the idea of him as HC at Clemson?

I think you will be pleased with him.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:07 PM

Morris brought some much needed toughness to the Clemson program when Dabo hired him. He played a key role in us improving the program significantly. However, I always felt that he was just passing through, and viewed his time as Clemson’s offensive coordinator as a stepping stone toward a head coaching job. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, as both he and Clemson mutually benefited. With that said, I am not surprised that he left SMU after a few years for bigger and better things. I wouldn’t want him to be Clemson’s head coach, because I would never feel certain that he would have any desire to put down roots. Instead, I would always wonder if he was looking for his next gig.

I hope he is successful at Arkansas, and that he is happy there and stays a long time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I second everything single point in this post.

Dec 6, 2017, 12:36 AM

Really covered it well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I’m a Clemson fan who lives in Arkansas. I’m excited

Dec 5, 2017, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

For you guys. I think he will bring in an exciting offense that is effective. The best news st first is he can win with 3 star talent. This is what he did at Clemson. He built this team with tajh boyd who was smart and ran the offense well. He will be able to win some games, enough to make you more attractive to 4 and 5 stars, then I think it will snowball into being more successful when the recruiting takes off. I do hope he finds a strong defensive coordinator. Would we take a guy who has been an oc and a head coach now that we are in the cfp frequently. Probably not. But in the past or I’m the future we would have. Let’s be frank right now you are not an elite program. But I think he’s the right man to return you to competitive and with time I think he will make your program better, the right way. I will be curious to see who he gets for dc. That will be a very important hire for him obviously.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tajh was a 4*, with 4-5* wrs, te, and rbs. OL were 3 * players

Dec 6, 2017, 12:38 AM

Didn't look any of it up, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

No you’re right I should have been more thorough but my

Dec 6, 2017, 7:16 AM

Point is that he won with less talent than what we have now. You make a good pt though he did have some legit receivers that could make anyone look good with 50/50 balls. And tajh very athletic and a special player and he was a program changing qb.

Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, Nuk Hopkins, Martavis

Dec 6, 2017, 2:21 AM [ in reply to I’m a Clemson fan who lives in Arkansas. I’m excited ]

Bryant, Andre Ellington, Dwayne Allen, Jaron Brown, Charone Peake, Adam Humpries, Dalton Freeman, Antoine McClain.

Morris was handed incredible talent

No***

Dec 5, 2017, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2017, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

That's a good question. I think it's a good hire. Gonna need a good DC, same as every coach. Texas recruiting ties will help you.

Guessing that most here wouldn't have him as our first choice if Dabo left. Probably be Venables or one of our OC. Promote from within.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

Good hire, he will make Arky competitive

I think it is an excellent hire for Arkansas. The guy is a

Dec 5, 2017, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

winner. He took over a SMU team that was far and away the worst FBS school in the country and has them bowling in just a couple years. He'll do a great job snagging Texas talent for Arkansas and will definitely make the Razorbacks competitive. I think the Hogs got a steal!

Dec 5, 2017, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

Arky fans should be VERY happy with this hire. Not trying to be rude but Chad can do better IMO. I think Texas and TA&M screwed up by not hiring him. He's well connected in Texas and would have been a killer recruiter at one of the major schools there. I think this will benefit Arky.

Yes Chad seemed (and was) very temporary for Clemson by I never questioned his devotion to making us a better team while he was here, we just all knew he wouldn't be around long because he was far from home.

Why is Chad a good coach for Arky?

Look at TA&M, Auburn, and Ole Miss success over the last few years. HIGH tempo offense with lots of window dressing, misdirection, and quick reads. He literally only needs a few good players to be very dangerous. 3 WR's and a mobile QB will put up huge points. When Tahj Boyd was at the helm we would have a few hiccups here and there butt more often than not we were blowing the doors off the place. Boyd/Chad were lucky that they had 3/4 pro-bowl WR's on the roster but even walk-ons (that are also in the NFL now- Adam Humphries) thrived. Why are these teams and Chad successful? Well most of the SEC plays boring offense centered around a power run game. QB play is usually terrible because SEC passing attacks are very bland. So when Chad rolls in town the defenses don't know what the #### is going on and get confused by the calls and worn down by the tempo. I don't care how many stars a recruit has if he gets pampered with playing 45 snaps a game and then has to cover the whole field for 90 snaps he's going to fold.
*Caution* This fast paced offense can hurt your own defense if it's getting shut down as if you have a 3 and out you only burned 30 seconds of game clock. You need an athletic, well conditioned defense to keep up with this offense at times.

My one concern would be defense since he's scored a lot at SMU but hasn't be winning at a high level yet. I don't know if his defense was bad or they just didn't have the players to run that much. If you have a decent DC that might be sticking around I think yall will do well. Luckily the SEC is mostly in disarray right now so he has less of and uphill battle than he would in previous years.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

If Dabo left tomorrow, Venables would be logical choice to replace him.

Heck no.***

Dec 5, 2017, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s a step up for you over fat Bret...

Dec 5, 2017, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

No offense to you - I know you love your team and all... but we have a much bigger program than Arky at this point. We’re better in every aspect because we’ve built it. Clemson is a bigger, better program and a bigger, better head coaching job. We would probably shoot for a bigger, better hire than you can make.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texas should have hired him and i think .....

Dec 5, 2017, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

Arkansas will now have the chance to have the most dynamic offense in the sec, just give him a chance ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, Brent Venables IF Dabo ever left.***

Dec 5, 2017, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

Yes, you got a good one.***

Dec 5, 2017, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Dec 5, 2017, 11:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

A dabo isn't leaving B y'all are not us y'all have significantly less options which makes Chad a great hire and C we would take him back hellof a good recruiter

Dec 6, 2017, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

@ Arkansas fans..

If Dabo left, yes, Morris would have definitely been on our list and we would have been glad to see him there. Yes, our offense did get marginally "better" after he left, but we had a sophomore Deshaun Watson and our OL had some good improvement that he never had when he was here.
He is a huge part of why we are where we are today and he will be a great fit for you guys with his recruiting ties in Texas.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:06 PM

There's a fair share of crazies on Hogville. Not much different than any other board I suppose. Morris was the second target too. They went to him right after Malzahn fell through.

I’m sure this was at Gus’ behest.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:30 PM

Arkansas fans wanted Gus and they got a very similar mind, who doesn’t happen to be a state legend, at a much more affordable price. I know that money is no object for some Arkansas alumni, but the money could be better spent on a staff. It’s already been mentioned that he wants Venables as a DC. Even if he strikes out there, it’s clear he’s swinging big.

Morris’ Texas roots will also prove fruitful for Arkansas who lacks a natural recruiting footprint. His reputation among Texas high school coaches will immediately boost Arkansas’s brand there. The man can recruit; he had Deshaun Watson convinced on Clemson after only his sophomore year in high school.

To answer your question above, would I like Coach Chad Morris at Clemson? Short answer, yes, but with other options ahead of him. I think he has a higher ceiling at Arkansas than he does here at the moment. He’s a guy who can instill a culture and revitalize an offense. He’s not yet a proven winner at the highest levels, which is what Clemson would look for post-Dabo. He might have a reputation of job-hopping, but it really has just been résumé building. Lucky for you, his dream job just got filled for the next decade so you shouldn’t have to worry about him upgrading from Arkansas.

Great hire, with the potential to be exceptional after he fills out his staff.

I think he is a good fit at Arky for now, but.....

Dec 5, 2017, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Some Arky fans ain't so happy gettin' The Chad.... ]

No, I would not want to hire him today at Clemson. Let me be clear at the start, Morris definitely helped Clemson get where it is today. However, I am not sure if Clemson would be at this level if he was still here.

Chad was only at Clemson a short time, but I got the impression that he coached his system, and expected the players to be able to play that system. I have been very impressed this year with our OCs adapting the game plans to what we do best. We are a better running team this year and we are using the run to setup the pass. Under Chad, the pass is used to setup the run. I always felt like Morris was more worried about running certain plays rather than running plays that worked.

The best example I can give is he never seemed to adapt to Cole taking the reigns when Watson was hurt. Scott and Elliot made Cole look like a first-rounder in the bowl game against OU by playing to his strengths, not trying to make Cole fit into their system.

If Chad can recruit the players needed to run his offense, he will be great. There may be some growing pains changing from Brett-ball to Chad-ball. And obviously, as others have said, the DC hire will be of huge importance. With the hurry up offense, you have to have a D that can stand up for the O when they are struggling.

A man has to know his limitations. Just sayin.***

Dec 5, 2017, 10:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Arkansas intellectuals aren't loving his hire.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:39 PM

I know, oxymoron. I'm delighted our Dabo-dumpers have decided to move to Arkansas and torture another group of faithful fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is Clinton one ?***

Dec 5, 2017, 10:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, she is a regular moron, not an oxy one.

Dec 6, 2017, 7:36 AM

:)

Dec 6, 2017, 12:17 AM

Chad Morris did some great things at Clemson, and played a big part of the program's rise.

I do recall getting frustrated at times, however, when we would abandon the running game when things got tight. We became a bit predictable at times, where everyone knew we would only pass even if down by 1 score. I can think of a few losses to South Carolina and to Florida State where this applied.

Morris is also a system coach, meaning that he expects the talent to run his system unconditionally. Cole Stoudt never fit his system, yet Stoudt had is best game ever in the bowl game against Oklahoma. This was immedicately after Morris left for SMU. Our current coaching staff built a game plan around Cole's skillset instead of asking him to fit a system.

Our offense is a lot stronger and more balanced under our current coaching staff, but I do appreciate what Chad Morris did here. Good luck to him.

“This ain’t happiness camp”

Dec 6, 2017, 1:13 AM

- Chad Morris

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic