Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, starting in 2023, will the 3 California schools in the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

So, starting in 2023, will the 3 California schools in the

Oct 1, 2019, 10:00 AM

Pac 12 have to purposely tank in order to assure their Conference champion is outside the state, and thus eligible for the Playoff? Lets face it, none of them have been anywhere close to playoff worthy in recent times anyway, so probably a moot point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, starting in 2023, will the 3 California schools in the

Oct 1, 2019, 10:35 AM

I'm not sure if they will change their tune closer to 2023, but so far I have heard that the California schools are not in favor of the law and want to stay under current NCAA rules.

What will be interesting is if the bigger schools (USC, UCLA, Stanford) try to side with the NCAA and some of the smaller schools come in and take some of the big time recruits to try to get ahead of the game.

It would be worth it for the smaller schools to risk missing the NCAA post-season to try to get some publicity and get ahead of the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2019, 11:06 AM

Most of the schools you mentioned are state supported therefore they will have to comply with the law or sue the state to try to get out of it. This is going to be a mess if the NCAA doesn't take action soon. California currently want send any state employee's to the state of SC, due to our laws on transgender and abortion for any conferences ect., or to any other states that have similar laws. SC has reciprocated and want send any of ours out there either. So this could be scenario that could be used by other states which would hurt California much more as it concerns college football.

Oct 1, 2019, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure exactly how that will work.

The NCAA is a national governing body. I'm not sure state law trumps a national organization.

It's the same as the marijuana laws in legalized states. There are still federal laws that apply regardless of what the state allows.

I know the NCAA is not the federal government which is why I'm not sure how it will work with them.

Oct 1, 2019, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: So, starting in 2023, will the 3 California schools in the ]

From what I've read, the bill only applies to schools with at least $10 million in rights fees, meaning Cal, UCLA, USC, and Stanford.

The smaller schools (Fresno State, etc.) would not be under the bill.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So California fights discrimination

Oct 1, 2019, 11:09 AM

with another type of discrimination - the smaller schools should sue the bigots.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So California fights discrimination

Oct 1, 2019, 11:32 AM

That was my exact thought when I read his post.

Oct 1, 2019, 11:54 AM

For what its worth, a state senator Illinois is thinking about introduceing a similar bill in the next session and try to make Illinois the second state to do this. These people just keep getting dumber. They all are trying to ruin college football. Want be any different than going to a pro game. Guess the next step will be high school football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2019, 12:05 PM

It's not just Illinois.

New York is working on legislation, Colorado is, Florida is.

Hell, South Carolina is. The one here is for the biggest schools to pay $5,000 a year stipends to revenue producing sports (Football and Basketball) and to allow athletes to receive compensation from sponsorships and autograph signings.

Colorado, New York, and South Carolina differ from the California bill in that it requires direct payment. California is solely for likeness, etc., with no direct payments from schools.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic