Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So our coaches just lose their mind when it comes to the QB?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

So our coaches just lose their mind when it comes to the QB?

Oct 18, 2017, 11:34 PM

No. They do not.

I have seen so much posted on here about how Hunter Johnson should just transfer…and how TLaw need not come at all…because our coaches blindly play the “older guy.”

Really? So our coaches knowingly realize that they have a better QB standing on the sidelines, but they just can’t bring themselves to play the best one? This same coaching staff who has worked so very hard to recruit, develop, and train these QBs…the same coaching staff who built a culture and program to withstand the test of time…they would be willing to risk a loss because the older player should get to play because he is older?

Or is it that they don’t recognize who is most excellent? So they recognize the greatness of players from Sammy Watkins to Hunter Renfrow…from Stephone Anthony to B.J. Goodson…but they don’t recognize the greatness at QB as well?

I have seen how both Zerrick and Hunter have played in games. I am tempted to give Hunter the nod as Queen of my armchair because he did look a little better in the short time frame that he was on the field. No doubt, I do not think there is a lot of separation between the two, primarily based on what the coaches have said. And if they are neck-and-neck, why wouldn’t the older one play first? Upon what basis would the younger one play if there is not much separation? Would not that older player have invested more? I say this, especially given that the staff considers the whole body of work: classroom, preparation, practice, behavior, and games. On the other hand, what if there WERE a notable degree of separation, with Hunter’s being the superior one? I believe we would have seen Hunter. I believe that because the staff has not given me any reason to think they would sacrifice wins, success, or their word that all jobs are up for grabs, just to play the older player. They might not share every decision with me. As Queen of my armchair, I might not like that, but guess what? That doesn’t mean that there is some sort of exception to the rules that they apply to QB. The minute they start to unfairly apply the rules, their culture will take a hit.

Now, let’s talk about what the extra “stuff” older players bring to the table: Experience. Leadership. Maturity. If they are essentially equal to the younger players at their position, their experience, leadership, and maturity absolutely matter and increase team unity, success, and depth.

So when does the experience, leadership, and maturity of a Kelly Bryant or Zerrick Cooper give way to a Hunter Johnson or Trevor Lawrence?

When Johnson and/or Lawrence do the following most excellently:
1. Master the knowledge and necessary skill of the position;
2. Demonstrate excellence in their practice, preparation and academics;
3. Exhibit an uncommon ability to overcome a lack of experience;
4. Naturally lead players older and more experienced than they are;
5. Exhibit maturity beyond their physical age;
6. Have control over their emotions and confidence in their abilities; AND
7. MOST IMPORTANTLY, understand the game, the game plan, and the scheme to where they are making the reads, adjustments and decisions necessary to lead the offense to operate at its optimum. The mental game is by far the biggest difference-maker.

Deshaun Watson did that. That is what enabled him as a young QB to rise to the top. I believe the coaches know very well when they are witnessing that uncommon mastery by a Freshman. And there is no shame if the young QBs need more time. None at all.

I think our coaches are looking for the right man for the job. TLaw has what it takes to be that man, and it doesn’t matter if we have 10 QBs on the roster. He has to handle TLaw. But you know what? The same holds true for Hunter Johnson and all the other QBs. They have to handle themselves.

As outsiders, we have to trust the coaches to make decisions based on the same soundness of mind and judgment that they decide other things.

Will one or more QBs transfer? Only time will tell. But our staff has invested a lot of time in all of these phenomenal young men. They know them far better than we do.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So our coaches just lose their mind when it comes to the QB?

Oct 19, 2017, 12:37 AM

Very well said. Our coaches have proven through their many wins over the years that they know what they are doing. Their jobs are to win, and no way that a less talented QB will play because of seniority. They will play the one that they believe gives the best shot at winning, and anything said to the contrary is ridiculous.

Oct 19, 2017, 12:41 AM

It's hard to understand how it is that you had nothing you could bring to this board other than repeating what coots say about QB's transferring and our coaches can't recognize the best of our talent. Our recruits recognize that it's coots saying that BS when they have a low 40s-30s pulse, but here you are repeating it with a 100% pulse....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2017, 5:53 AM

Tigergal85 - BINGO!!! Some really good insight from your Queen armchair!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kirby Smart says hey

Oct 19, 2017, 7:38 AM

Think he would have played Fromm if Eason hadn’t got hurt? The kid has an it factor that coaches seldom value initially. But he is not alone as we have our own history with not just DW, but Nuk, O’Daniel and others.

I understand your point but you need to understand coaches are a bit weird and sometimes don’t see the forest for the trees. I really don’t care if Cooper is the greatest practice QB in the history of the world, he is not ready, from what I’ve seen every time he has taken the field, to be a starting QB for us. That may change but based on his results to date, that is my opinion.

I do think there is a strong possibility that HJ will leave and here’s why - if he can’t get a shot at any playing with Bryant hurt and Cooper not performing well, when is he going to get his chance? He and Cooper are basically the “same” in terms of years left to Play, and if he feels like he’s not getting a chance to show what he can do, why would he stay?

I’ll certainly support whoever starts and plays but to suggest that we should always just blindly follow whatever our coaches say-do, well, that’s just not the way I see it. I care too much about our Tigers to follow that ######.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kirby Smart says hey

Oct 19, 2017, 2:17 PM

Do you care more about the Tigers than the coaches care about them?
Or than they care about their jobs and their reputations???
Really

I have no earthly idea what you’re talking about

Oct 19, 2017, 7:00 PM

Really!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So us fans as blind and unknowing as we are shouldn’t

Oct 19, 2017, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Kirby Smart says hey ]

blindly follow what our coaches say? Ok! Since we supposedly know everything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m struggling to understand your point

Oct 19, 2017, 7:05 PM

My point is I evaluate what I see and don’t based my observations totally on what the coaches say. Coaches do and say some weird things at times so no, I don’t based my thoughts and opinions on what they say. Sorry that offends you and others. Try it, you may like it too.

Re: Kirby Smart says hey

Oct 19, 2017, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Kirby Smart says hey ]

It depends on the coaching staff in place . I cannot see ANY faults with Dabo and co .

However , with the previous regime I admit I bitched and moaned just about the whole time he was here .
After TB for so long , Dabo can do no wrong in my book .

Tnet is full of religious nut jobs who worship the book or MORON

Oct 19, 2017, 7:46 AM

Don't worry about it.

The coaches will still coach
The players will play

Chapter 1in the book of hindsight teaches:
The fans will worship when they win and second guess everything when they lose.

So it was written, so shall it be posted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Agreed. Do we (the fans) even know if Zerrick & Hunter

Oct 19, 2017, 7:51 AM

know more than the 14 or so plays that they ran in the Wake game? That could be the only plays that they know! We as fans have no idea since we're not at all the practices, position meetings, film room, etc.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al Champs!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Oct 19, 2017, 7:52 AM

Tigergal, you are wrong. I guess you also believed starting Cole Stoudt over Deshaun Watson was the right move?

The dead horse again!***

Oct 19, 2017, 6:19 PM

One set of downs for Hunter Johnson to prove you right

Oct 19, 2017, 8:02 AM

or wrong wouldn't have hurt a thing in that cluster of a game.

History is replete with examples of "inferior" generals, presidents, CEOs, and Athletes that were "temporarily" promoted because of death, injury, or quitting who went on to become famous for their incomparable leadership.

Re: One set of downs for Hunter Johnson to prove you right

Oct 19, 2017, 6:02 PM

One drive wouldn’t prove anything. If HJ got in and went 3 and out, would he suddenly suck as a qb? Same if he lead a td drive. It wouldn’t mean he is the definite answer.

If he would have scored a TD and got us back in the game

Oct 19, 2017, 9:48 PM

and was not put in again it would have proven he should be kept in.

If he scored again it would have proven he was better than ZC that night and we wouldn't be having this discussion because we would have won the game.

In fairness, the staff passed on Michael Jordan (aka DW4)

Oct 19, 2017, 8:21 AM

for Cole Stoudt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope Bryant plays well enough to get drafted! Then Isreal

Oct 19, 2017, 4:41 PM

will probably transfer to smaller school, where he will star...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope Bryant plays well enough to get drafted! Then Isreal

Oct 19, 2017, 6:05 PM

There is a ZERO percent chance KB gets drafted next year.

"Zero" - wasn't that the same chance you were giving DW4

Oct 19, 2017, 7:46 PM

being drafted in first round last year. GET PAWSITIVE lEX!

Re: "Zero" - wasn't that the same chance you were giving DW4

Oct 19, 2017, 9:33 PM

Haha. I never said DW4 wouldn’t be drafted in the first round. Even if I did, I think it’s safe to say that a qb in our system that has thrown 4 tds in 6 and a half games isn’t getting drafted, much less looked at by an nfl team. Maybe next year if he improves, but there is a ZERO percent chance this year.

Re: I hope Bryant plays well enough to get drafted! Then Isreal

Oct 19, 2017, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Bryant plays well enough to get drafted! Then Isreal ]

May not get drafted next year , but after another year of seasoning , who knows ?

Yea, the whole "favor seniority" thing is

Oct 19, 2017, 6:32 PM

A myth. Just go back and count the number of true freshmen and younger players who have played over older players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2017, 7:17 PM

Point!!
Rally Cat rant girl is BACK!!

:)

Oct 19, 2017, 7:23 PM

There is concern because of the past. Dabo starting Stoudt over Watson was a huge mistake. I hope he learned from it. I've watched Cooper and Johnson over the last two games. Johnson is the most polished and better player.

HJ better in spring game too. I have yet to see ZC throw a

Oct 19, 2017, 7:49 PM

accurate touch pass downfield.

Oct 19, 2017, 9:13 PM

Some people sing great in the shower but put them in front of 20 or 80 thousand people and they wet the bed.

Oct 19, 2017, 9:43 PM

Performing in practice vs actual game situations are two different things....and the only one that really matters is game time.....HJ has earned the right based on what he has done in the games he has played in but did not get his chance the other night......say what you want but it probably cost us with a loss to Syracuse.....can not win them all but we should have won that one.......guess we will never know BECAUSE HJ did not get his chance to play.....Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 19, 2017, 9:50 PM

Tldr... See Stoudt vs. Watson. Superior talent doesn't always see the field vs. seniority

null

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic