Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So let me get this straight about the SEC Network...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

So let me get this straight about the SEC Network...

Aug 12, 2014, 8:50 AM

you have access to watch the SEC Network and no additional cost to you (yet?), but you choose to NOT watch that channel??? Just checking. They have meds for that chit.

Really? Not gonna watch TAM / USUC in 16 days??? Really?

awwwwwwrighty then.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So let me get this straight about the SEC Network...

Aug 12, 2014, 9:03 AM

Very doubtful that I watch it, unless we are in one of the games. I have no interest in their league, but I don't mind if you or anyone else does. I also don't watch women's basketball, but it's fine with me that some do. I do, however hope that usuc gets beat in all their games, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2014, 11:25 AM

> Very doubtful that I watch it, unless we are in one
> of the games. I have no interest in their league, but
> I don't mind if you or anyone else does. I also don't
> watch women's basketball, but it's fine with me that
> some do. I do, however hope that usuc gets beat in
> all their games, though.

You must not like college football. I will watch any FBS game no matter who is playing if the game is competitive and there is an underdog about to pull of an upset. Beats any other entertainment on TV IMO.

Aug 12, 2014, 6:14 PM

I love college football when we are playing (I played at Clemson 4 years), and I do attend all our home games and several of our away games each year, and I have been to many other school's games, but I have little respect for a league with the moral standards of their league. When we did what they do, we also won a NC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight about the SEC Network... ]

> Very doubtful that I watch it, unless we are in one
> of the games. I have no interest in their league, but
> I don't mind if you or anyone else does. I also don't
> watch women's basketball, but it's fine with me that
> some do. I do, however hope that usuc gets beat in
> all their games, though.

You might as well watch it. You are paying for it if you subscribe to a provider that carries it and some of your money is going to the SEC and the coots whether you like it or not!

Tell 'em coot

Aug 12, 2014, 6:16 PM

smh

Re: Tell 'em coot

Aug 12, 2014, 6:27 PM

Oh no, another with nothing better to say than "tell em coot." What, do you really think it hurts or does it just make you feel better?

I'm not gonna let my dislike of the SEC

Aug 12, 2014, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight about the SEC Network... ]

get in the way of watching a big college football game that first Thursday night... I seriously can't wait, hope the Aggies beat the #### out of 'em

GO TIGERS

Re: I'm not gonna let my dislike of the SEC

Aug 12, 2014, 6:17 PM

I, too, hope the Aggies stomp a mud hole in their sorry arses, but I couldn't care less about watching anything they do, unless it is something stupid that causes them to lose, and that will be put on You Tube by somebody on here, anyway.

Re: SEC Network...sad thing is

Aug 12, 2014, 9:07 AM

the ACC could have gotten on the stick and done this instead of catering to the swoffords with this "crappy supposed network" based on the Raycom platform. At least Swoff and son are laughing all the way to the bank but no one else is. The univ Presidents need their behinds kicked for tolerating that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Raycom can learn a few things from Disney Sports***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:10 AM

Re: Raycom learned one thing early

Aug 12, 2014, 9:19 AM

Hire the bosses' kid. Then you dont have to be good

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the first real game of football season, of course I'm

Aug 12, 2014, 9:31 AM

going to watch it. I haven't really looked into how or where yet, but I'm 100% sure I'll be watching.

GIG 'EM***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:34 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Aug 12, 2014, 9:53 AM

Nope the only way I watch a game on the SEC network is if I am at a bar and it happens to be on.

null

Aug 12, 2014, 9:59 AM

This is what you need to understand about the SEC Network: It already has 87,000,000 subscribers and will end up @ 95,000,000 plus or minus this year. The smaller cable systems (1,000,000 subscribers or less) are now in negotiations and are being added daily.
Assume only 87,000,000 subscribers. Based on ESPNs numbers in July of 75,000,000 subscribers yielding 611 million dollars in revenue per month...extrapolate 87 million subscribers to 70 Million/month in revenues.
70 million X 12 mos= 840 million.
Assume 85% of that revenue gets to the member schools=51 million dollars per school !
95,000,000 subcribers using the same assumptions= 55 million per per school.
It is estimated that by football season 2015 there will be well over 100 million subscribers.

So 100 million people want to watch UT Martin at Kentucky

Aug 12, 2014, 10:04 AM

and Nicholls State at Arkansas?

We're not talking Alabama-Auburn here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: So 100 million people want to watch UT Martin at Kentucky

Aug 12, 2014, 10:08 AM

Who cares if they watch. They are still paying !

I think at some point viewership MAY actually come into play

Aug 12, 2014, 10:09 AM

Just spit balling here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think at some point viewership MAY actually come into play

Aug 12, 2014, 10:14 AM

I have been paying for the Big Ten Network for years....never watched it. The whole idea is that with blocks of subscriptions it matters not about individual games. Cable/dish providers in the 14 college markets provide and the customers pay. In the other states the rate is less but this enhances revenues none the less.

You're not watching the BTN, but obviously SOMEBODY is.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:16 AM

Maybe they have more compelling games than the ones scheduled on the $EC Network?

Re: You're not watching the BTN, but obviously SOMEBODY is.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:24 AM

I can not speak to that. I can submit that their product garners less revenue per subscriber.
This is an easy concept to understand fella's. The SEC members will be making over 60 million dollars a year in TV royalties in just a few years.
The 95 million subscribers this year looks like a lock. The rich will get richer. I'm out of here. Enjoyed it.

Re: So 100 million people want to watch UT Martin at Kentucky

Aug 12, 2014, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: So 100 million people want to watch UT Martin at Kentucky ]

> Who cares if they watch. They are still paying !

Simple concept of "DEMAND-supply".....good grief, the arrogance (or ignorance?) has no limits..I occasionally watch the Big 10, b/c they do have GOOD games even though not a fan.

None of those numbers mean anything

Aug 12, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight about the SEC Network... ]

All of that is just speculation. Get back to me at the end of year one when you can point to a bottom line. Until then it's just smoke and mirrors.

I, for one, am having a hard time believing that a lineup consisting of a bunch of crappy baseball and basketball games, replays of old Iron Bowls, "SEC storied" documentaries, and one or two decent football games is going to generate the piles of money that some seem to believe it will.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: None of those numbers mean anything

Aug 12, 2014, 10:34 AM

The numbers are easily available. Opinions are of little consequence at this point.
87,000,000 subscribers are already on board delivering over 700 million in revenue each month starting in September 2014.

Facts are nasty little things.

Re: None of those numbers mean anything

Aug 12, 2014, 10:38 AM

None of what you are reporting are facts. Sorry to disappoint but simple minds are easily fooled.

null

Aug 12, 2014, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight about the SEC Network... ]

The 75 Million subscribers yielding 611 millon dollars was a incorrect assessment by an SEC journalist. Your 3 biggest subscription bases are all carrying the SEC network on higher tiers. Let me break it down for you.

Total Subscribers (88 million in big 4)

Dish 14 million
Comcast 30 million with TW addition
Direct TV 38 million
AT&T 6 million

Tier
Dish 120+ (3rd Tier)
Direct 150+ (3rd Tier)
Comcast (Basic in SEC states, Preferred in other)
AT&T U200 (3rd Tier)

So by making a reasonable judgement I would say that 100% of subscribers do not have the above tiers and higher. Even at 50% in the providers at 3rd tier and giving you 100% Comcast(way over) would only mean 60 million. So even using very generous numbers it comes no where close to 87 million subscribers. Add to that that ESPN gets at least a 50% cut of the profit. Yes the SEC will profit but go home with these mega numbers.

null

Aug 12, 2014, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight about the SEC Network... ]

Saying that they have subscribers leads you to believe that individuals are paying to have it. For most, it has been added to a sports package and the cost of that sports package is not changing based on the addition of the sec network. There is a reason service providers are not trying to sell it as an addition with a set price. It's kind of like the shopping channel. It's part of my TV package even though I don't watch it. I don't get to opt out of just that channel.

That said, if the cost of my sports package eventually goes up due to the addition I will consider downgrading.

Aug 12, 2014, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: So let me get this straight about the SEC Network... ]

You are an idiot.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-19/u-s-pay-tv-subscriptions-fall-for-first-time-as-streaming-gains.html

The entire U.S. amongst all providers has only 100.8 million cable or satellite connected homes. but somehow the SEC is going to have "well over" that many subscribers. Congrats. That some real SEC math.

And, once again, another SEC cheerleader doesn't understand the difference between availability and subscription. You are not on the basic tier on Dish network. You are not on the basic tier on Comcast. These are the two largest providers in America. The ESPN spilt is projected at being closer to 50% putting it in line with the Big Ten and Pax 12 Network deals. Also, keep in mind that the ACC has a 30% in market footprint than the SEC. So even at a deep discount could ultimately be worth more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Yes ... only upper level packages will carry it and quite

Aug 12, 2014, 7:47 PM

frankly - they carry a whole boatload of crap I don't want to watch. This is just one more channel added to the lineup. No guarantee folks will watch.

Go Aggies! Gig em.***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:26 AM

There's something in these hills.

I'll be watching

Aug 12, 2014, 10:32 AM

I'm not gonna miss the first game of the year (and my first chance to root against the scocks) just because some of y'all are jealous that the SEC got their own network. The growing popularity of college football is good for all of us (especially the power 5 conferences) and the ACC will have its own network soon enough.

Re: I'll be watching

Aug 12, 2014, 6:29 PM

Well said. I will definitely pay for and watch the ACC network if y'all get one. I do not get to watch a ton of Clemson games because I go to all of the Carolina games but the weeks we are on the road I always watch Clemson. Plus, I grew up with us as an independent playing alot of ACC teams so I still keep up with them. If it's a game from one of the big 5 conferences I enjoy watching it. No qualms about watching an ACC channel. Good football games and top-notch basketball and baseball.

Re: I'll be watching

Aug 12, 2014, 9:23 PM

Good grief stop the stupid. If/when the ACC has a network you won't have to pay for it. Just like we won't pay extra for SEC crap. It's bundled into packages. I'm not paying any more this month because of the advent of the SEC Network. What does it take to end this level of idiocy?

You're talking about eSECpn right?***

Aug 12, 2014, 1:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: You're talking about eSECpn right?***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:18 PM

I have directv and the first 2 packages are crap.the biggest majority of subscribers have it already

I'll watch any game if it's interesting

Aug 12, 2014, 11:53 PM

WhyTF not? If I'm not paying extra then I don't care what channel it's on.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic