Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So honestly, I don't blame our coaches for our decline.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

So honestly, I don't blame our coaches for our decline.

Mar 3, 2013, 8:14 PM

I'm sick of our sports programs getting worse every year mostly across the board and I'm sick of losing to the coots. The difference right now isn't the coaches. It starts at the top with Barker. As long as he's the president our sports programs will be neglected. Our AD's haven't blown me away either but I had mixed feelings about TDP. Too early to tell with DRad.

Our facilities do hurt us in basketball and baseball. I hope we can see some changes there soon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our football team has improved each year the past 2 years

Mar 3, 2013, 8:29 PM

and looks to have a further improved season this time around.

Not going to argue other sports, but just because we lose to SCar doesn't mean our program has been getting worse.

Is it up to where we want it to be at the end? No. However, I don't think our record against SCar is indicative of our programs health.

If you think our program was better in 1997-2000 than it is now, you are mistaken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football is the exception fortunately.***

Mar 3, 2013, 8:57 PM

Re: Our football team has improved each year the past 2 years

Mar 3, 2013, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Our football team has improved each year the past 2 years ]

Football - improving
Baseball - declining
Basketball - declining
Soccer - declining
Tennis - *TIP needs to answer this one
Track and Field - Womens great Men's average

2 out of the big 3 are declining with most of the other sports in decline as well. I am not saying this based on one rival school (otherwise football would be in the decline category as well)

Our overall athletic programs have never been worse in terms of record on the playing field. I think TDP and Barker both have had a hand in this, but I also think DRad is going to breathe new life into a lot of struggling sports

Re: Our football team has improved each year the past 2 years

Mar 3, 2013, 9:14 PM

uscsuc beat us in mens tennis today also.

Barker's only problem is that we wants Clemson to excel

Mar 3, 2013, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Our football team has improved each year the past 2 years ]

in academics as well as athletics. Why is that a problem?

sorry, meant "he" wants. (iPad typo)***

Mar 3, 2013, 9:38 PM

Re: Barker's only problem is that we wants Clemson to excel

Mar 3, 2013, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Barker's only problem is that we wants Clemson to excel ]

I just do not agree!!the list of things he has done to hurt athletics is VERY LONG while the list of things that he has done to help athletics does not exist!!if U want proof just look @ the football parking he has ruined!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And he dropped swimming. He doesn't care about sports at all

Mar 4, 2013, 7:01 AM [ in reply to Barker's only problem is that we wants Clemson to excel ]

Judging simply by his actions. It's one thing to not care but its another to intentionally hurt the athletic programs.

Re: So honestly, I don't blame our coaches for our decline.

Mar 3, 2013, 8:46 PM

Wrong. Too many apathetic fans who enjoy the games but don't care if we win or lose. WE let this happen. We don't demand results.

Mar 3, 2013, 9:25 PM

I agree with TigerHVAC, need to start doing something about these sports. With a program as successful as baseball has been, and it has in the history of the team, why is it being neglected in terms of facilities?? With all the talent in the south, how does this happen? I know we are a football school first, but doesn't mean we need to watch the other sports be average.

Mar 3, 2013, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Re: So honestly, I don't blame our coaches for our decline. ]

I agree that as fans, we have been partly to blame. I think as a fan base we have been too complacent and we tend to celebrate good vs demanding great. You have to give coaches what they need to be successful in terms of facilities and funding to attract the best assistant coaches and staff but then you have to hold them accountable for the results. Look at what we did with TB...gave him a huge contract buyout etc after the '03 season thinking he had turned the corner. In truth he had won absolutely nothing but we assumed that he would get there because he was close. Coaches that are perennially close tend to never get over the hump. The ones that get over the hump tend to do so fairly quickly.

Mar 3, 2013, 9:31 PM

U have hit the problem!! barker and only barker!!until the BOT grows a set we are what we will be!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 3, 2013, 10:48 PM

There are members of the BOT who have the proverbial set, however they are out voted by the lifers. It's unfortunate that a system of governance set up by TGC to protect his legacy may be hurting it. For example, a number of BOT members questioned the wisdom of spending over 300K for Barker to go to the Olympics the year they were again raising tuition - they were out voted by those who saw no issue in an all expenses paid vacation to London. Until the lifers go back and read TGC's will and it's intent the challenge will remain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its undeniable

Mar 3, 2013, 10:15 PM

When I was at Clemson in 90 football was top 10, baseball and soccer were top 10, basketball had just won the acc, and even womens bball was top 25. Now football has just become relevant again and every other sport is invisible. It sucks.

So honestly playing in Omaha is not decline***

Mar 4, 2013, 2:55 PM

Not this #### again***

Mar 4, 2013, 4:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"...getting worse every year mostly across the board..."

Mar 4, 2013, 5:34 PM

What the heck are you even talking about?

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic