Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I’m reading about this Miles Taylor anonymous dude.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

So I’m reading about this Miles Taylor anonymous dude.

Oct 28, 2020, 7:32 PM

I really don’t care about the letter nor do I remember what it even said. I don’t care about political affiliation either.

It just struck me that this guy graduated college in 2010, and within 8 years, with a relative thimbleful of life experience, he was a chief of staff near the top of the food chain in one of the most powerful security agencies within the US Government. So I read his resume, and it’s clear he’s been angling for a position like this since he was in diapers. Take the right courses, get the sweet internships, and family connections got him an appointment.

I dunno, this seems insane to me and probably encapsulates a lot of what’s wrong with DC. I’m ok with someone playing the game and having an Uncle or parent pull some strings and get em a director position at Proctor and Gamble by age 30, but it seems a little effed up that the same “who you know” metrics are what keep the gears turning in the agencies that have the most control and influence over our lives.

TL;DR A rich kid douchebagg with good hair reminds Obed of how much the good old boy system pizzzzes him off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I’m reading about this Miles Taylor anonymous dude.

Oct 28, 2020, 7:39 PM

Spooneye Jr. is competing against those people in college down in DC right now. I encouraged her to make friends with the right people, because--sadly--who you know is more determinative of your success than grades or other accomplishments.

She'll probably do what I did and ignore that sort of advice.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

If it makes you feel any better,

Oct 28, 2020, 7:42 PM

My kids generally take the same approach with incorporating my awesome life advice into their daily routines.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently, the young man has the ability to think

Oct 28, 2020, 7:42 PM

for himself and know a turd when he smells one. Lindsay Graham is 65 yrs old and would rather put a bow on it and call it cute instead of calling it what it is...poop.

Fecal metaphor aside, yes, the good ol'boy system does yield greater incompetence than a meritocracy. Which makes this administration even worse, because you can't get anywhere in it if you don't kiss the leader's rear.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The young man has shown an ability to function as

Oct 28, 2020, 7:49 PM

A highly political creature with that innate DC ability to fall forward. After tending his resignation he had a sweet gig awaiting and is now in a high level security position at Google.

This isn’t about Trump, hard as that may be for you to believe....You can apply this to all his family members in the administration if you want and I would agree.

Larger point is there isn’t a 30 year older on the planet who has the life experience and wisdom necessary to be the right hand and give advice to the secretary of homeland security. It’s an absolute joke that he was in that role.

Is “good old boy system” different than white privilege?

Oct 28, 2020, 7:46 PM

Or just another facet of it?

I’ll answer your question with a question.

Oct 28, 2020, 7:53 PM

You think Omarosa should have been in any President’s orbit?

I don’t.....she played a game too, and it had nothing to do with white privilege.

And he didn’t make that mistake again***

Oct 28, 2020, 7:55 PM

He didn’t bring in another lousy, unqualified opportunist

Oct 28, 2020, 7:58 PM

After her? Whew, we’ve been reading different newspapers then.

Well they weren’t uppity***

Oct 28, 2020, 7:59 PM

Ohhhhh, this is one of those dog whistle things.

Oct 28, 2020, 8:04 PM

I wish I could read racist minds.

Nah Omarosa was terrible. Could give 2 ##### about that

Oct 28, 2020, 8:10 PM

situation.

It’s just odd that nepotism and good old boy networks are widely accepted as real when white privilege is debated.

Seems like everyone’s a lot closer to agreeing on issues than we think. Maybe if they got Don Draper to rebrand it....

Here’s where we probably differ

Oct 28, 2020, 8:18 PM

I don’t place a lot of differentiation on someone riding daddy’s coattails to the top and someone riding affirmative action and diversity quotas to the top. They’re both unfair advantages that are generally unrelated to merit.

Qualified people do make it through both scenarios but both scenarios are also unavailable as pathways to more people than not.

Also, this seems like a silly example to pick as a case

Oct 28, 2020, 8:22 PM

Closed example of white privilege......the path I just described that this young man took and others like him......what percent of US whites do you think enjoy similar benefits? Is it even .000001 percent? Seems entirely unrelated to skin color.

I was speaking more to good old boy networks which exist

Oct 28, 2020, 8:38 PM

all over the country especially in small towns like mine. I’ve yet to land a job where I didn’t know someone who either worked there, knew my parents, or had a recommendation.

Not sure if that’s privilege or not, but my southern baptist ministers son middle class upbringing has helped me tremendously in life. I doubt I was always the most qualified candidate. It’s not always positions in the White House.

I remember being on a trip to Chicago when I was at Clemson with FCA. We were riding in a 15 passenger van through the south side and talking about the homeless that were around our hotel. This Zach Morris type in our group said something to the effect of, “you know you want to feel bad for them but at the same time they just didn’t make the most of their opportunities in life”

I asked him what his dad did for a living (Bank Executive) where he grew up (Charlotte suburbs) then asked him why he was at Clemson instead of Harvard, you know if it’s all about making the most of your opportunities. I’ve had the benefit of failing and not falling out. Most of us here have.

But it’s time to wind down for the day and get all josephg on some mediocre music that’s about to sound awesome.

https://youtu.be/Vvp305B9FoQ

I found it mildly off-putting when l heard Gorsuch and

Oct 28, 2020, 8:23 PM

Kavanaugh were both at Georgetown Prep School at the same time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I’m reading about this Miles Taylor anonymous dude.

Oct 28, 2020, 9:11 PM

You might be surprised but I completely agree with you.

I didn't like much about the whole "Anonymous" bit. If you're going to write an insider account, go right on ahead if that's what you gotta do...and put your name to it, and have the decency to resign. As it stands he just had his cake and ate it too, and kept collecting his paychecks until it was time to, as you put it, fall upwards into a gig at CNN.

And this whole bit he wrote about "there are adults in the room" to control Trump when this kid barely had to shave...I dunno. "Presumptuous" and "entitled" are the first words that come to mind....

I mean, I get why anybody around Trump would regard him as a loose cannon. But the idea that a government functionary can 1) control the president, and 2) has the right to do so, is well...I'll just shake my head and walk away here.

I am definitely starting to understand how Trump was able to so easily storm the Washington-establishment bastion, if this is what he was up against.

I’ll add a couple hot takes after my two minutes of research...

Oct 28, 2020, 9:22 PM

on this guy’s life:

1) Wow, another passionately anti-Trump person hired to a high position at a major Silicon Valley Company. Shock.

2) Lol at taking a senior role in a major company in September of 2019 and then taking a leave 11 months later to work in a presidential campaign. Clearly needed at Google.

null

I don't remember this "anonymous" thing.***

Oct 29, 2020, 7:50 AM

Are we shocked?

Oct 29, 2020, 7:53 AM

Young unqualified people get big jobs in DC all the time. Look at Ivanka, Donald Jr., and Jared.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Ooooh, sorry

Oct 29, 2020, 7:56 AM

Anticipated that gotcha preemptively and already conceded the point.

But yes, nepotism at that level sucks, and their presence irritates me more than anyone else in the cabinet. I’ve said it before though, the left should love her.....she is the little liberal angel on his shoulder whispering in his ear.

Occam's Razor...

Oct 29, 2020, 7:58 AM

People get jobs they shouldn't in DC because corruption.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic