Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Smoking Pig vs Shealeys
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

Smoking Pig vs Shealeys

Aug 20, 2018, 6:31 PM

I just moved to Clemson from Lexington for school and I’ve enver had Smoking Pig, but I’ve had Shealy’s many times. How comparable are the two?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys

Aug 20, 2018, 6:39 PM

Shealys is good, but Smoking Pig is special. Enjoy.

Smoking Pig is very very good....but

Aug 20, 2018, 6:51 PM

I'm not sure how or why a barbecue place chooses not to have hash & rice on the menu.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smoking Pig is very very good....but

Aug 20, 2018, 6:56 PM

Im not a hash n rice man but that should be a prerequisite for a BBQ house. WTH

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2018, 12:04 AM

True BBQ in West Columbia has the best hash and rice I've ever had. Pretty good BBQ too, they have a big ol smoker out front so you know it's legit.

Aug 21, 2018, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig is very very good....but ]

Drive to Roebuck one day. Bubba's BBQ & Bash at The Opry has some great hash.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve said this for years.

Aug 20, 2018, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Smoking Pig is very very good....but ]

Hash is a lost art.

Re: I’ve said this for years.

Aug 20, 2018, 8:44 PM

HASH: Been making it for 50 years and its gone before it gets to refrigerator.
1) one part beef
2) one part pork
3) boil till it falls apart
4) add proportional diced onion depending on size, think big on onion!
5) pepper heavily and some salt
6) enjoy

you will be amazed how much the onion will absorb the boiling h20.

Have you ever made it using deer?

Aug 21, 2018, 6:25 AM

If so, how did If affect your measurements?

Re: I’ve said this for years.

Aug 21, 2018, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: I’ve said this for years. ]

You left out the mustard and butter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

ive been to famous BBQ places all over

Aug 20, 2018, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Smoking Pig is very very good....but ]

Carolinas, Texas, Kansas City etc. and I have not once seen that as a side dish. Is it a made up Columbia thing?

Re: ive been to famous BBQ places all over

Aug 20, 2018, 8:34 PM

Seen it many places in both Carolina's, you must not have looked closely enough

Re: ive been to famous BBQ places all over

Aug 21, 2018, 5:48 PM [ in reply to ive been to famous BBQ places all over ]

Coming from Texas, I didn't learn about it until I had a roommate ask if I wanted some hash. I had to ask him to repeat himself.

Never really got a taste for it, personally.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Smoking Pig is very very good....but ]

Because that’s low country. Duh

Aug 20, 2018, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Smoking Pig is very very good....but ]

Go to any BiLo in cootville or Chapin and look for Cece Dowd’s hash. Careful, it’s addictive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe that is Sease Dowd!!***

Aug 21, 2018, 3:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Precisely!***

Aug 21, 2018, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Smoking Pig is very very good....but ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 6:56 PM

JBMagni said:

I just moved to Clemson from Lexington for school and I’ve enver had Smoking Pig, but I’ve had Shealy’s many times. How comparable are the two?

Totally different animals . Both well worth your patronage .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 7:29 PM

At Shealy's as yoy know, you pay your way in and eat your way out. Buffet style, gut buster.

At Smoking Pig you'll pay as much, if not more money for whatever kind of plate you choose off their menu. Not buffet style, so not as huge a risk of busting your gut open in public. Waitresses have the best butts in town, or so their shirts say.

Aug 21, 2018, 2:35 PM

Agreed wholeheartedly here. My family is from Batesburg-Leesville and Shealy's is a staple. Wait in line for 20 minutes and then eat your heart out. Can't beat a buffet that includes a desserts. I usually eat my weight in the hash, banana pudding, and butterscotch pudding.

HOWEVER

If we're just asking who has the "better" BBQ, I'd have to say Smokin' Pig. I'm a pulled pork lover and I like theirs better. Their brisket is also better. But if you're a hash lover, you can't beat Shealy's.

So in conclusion...it depends on what you want. They're both worth visiting.

Shealy's is a great buffet, great sides, on Fridays great catfish!

Aug 21, 2018, 3:38 PM

BUT, their pulled pork is average at best! Not even the best in the small town of Leesville...that would be Jackie Hite's Barbecue. Go to Hite's on Friday for the whole pig hog pickin'. Get whichever part of the pig you prefer...shoulder, ham, rib...whatever you like best. And they certainly have hash!

I like Jackie's BBQ more than Shealy's

Aug 22, 2018, 4:29 AM

Sad he's passed, but his family has continued. Cash or check only. No plastic. Small place. Get there early. He was a Gamecock, but his grandson and formerfishing buddy is a Tiger.

Aug 20, 2018, 7:48 PM

Smoking Pig for sure. Try the brisket. It is awesome!

Aug 20, 2018, 7:55 PM

Smokin' Pig has some of the best sauce I've ever had. Shealy's has that (and I know I'm blaspheming being a South Carolinian) that nasty mustard sauce. Smokin' Pig hands down. My brother and sister-in-law, who is from Chapin, had Shealy's cater their wedding. I left and got McDonald's on the way home so I had something that tasted better.

"Old McDonald had a farm... " Siriusly?***

Aug 20, 2018, 8:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

Did you not eat the fried chicken and cream corn. I love both but if you to Macinds you don’t have a clue

Aug 21, 2018, 12:22 PM

They didn't have fried chicken at the wedding, or I'd have been all over that. It was nothing but mustard BBQ and mustard hash. I did have a side of corn, which was good, but that wasn't enough. McD's was literally my only option from where we were.

Aug 21, 2018, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

I agree with you. Shealy's is NOT GOOD. The only reason people think it's good is because they're from some bum-phuck tiny SC town and have never experienced a high quality restaurant. Only good thing I can say about Shealys is the green beans, dank AF.

Funny you think the green beans are the best thing at Shealy's

Aug 21, 2018, 10:35 PM

They're absolutely my least favorite item there, too salty and overcooked. Shealy's has plenty of great sides...the creamed corn, baby limas, apples with carrots and some pretty good desserts. But when it comes to the pulled pork, go about three blocks down the road to Jackie Hite's. Their pulled pork is much better!

To hail with you for putting down mustard sauce!! I guess

Aug 21, 2018, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

you may like that nasty Alabama mayonnaise white sauce!! But if the barbecue is really good, it doesn't even need a lot of sauce!

Re: To hail with you for putting down mustard sauce!! I guess

Aug 21, 2018, 4:24 PM

Haha...I don't do that stuff either. I'm a western NC ketchup/vinegar guy. I don't eat anything with mayo or mustard, tbh. The wife thinks I'm strange.

Shealey’s for their fried chicken. Smokin’ Pig for their BBQ***

Aug 20, 2018, 8:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

This***

Aug 20, 2018, 11:02 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Black's Smokehouse, Bounty Land.

Aug 20, 2018, 8:29 PM

Split the "Smokehouse" with your friend.

Th-Fr-Sat.

Don't get there past 1:00 or they'll probably be out of something good.

More and better than Smokin' Pig.

Re: Black's Smokehouse, Bounty Land.

Aug 20, 2018, 8:59 PM

Where's Blacks?

Past the CVS on the right on 28 in Bounty Land

Aug 21, 2018, 7:27 AM

headed to Walhalla.

Re: Black's Smokehouse, Bounty Land.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Black's Smokehouse, Bounty Land. ]

Yeah Black's is good, but not better than Smoking Pig in my opinion. The brisket at Smokin Pig is unbeatable. Black's is my second favorite in the upstate though.

I happen to love them both

Aug 20, 2018, 8:32 PM

They are different....but both excellent in their own way.

Gotta get back to SC to get some BBQ!

Re: I happen to love them both

Aug 20, 2018, 8:37 PM

They are different....but both excellent in their own way.

Gotta get back to SC to get some BBQ!

Eaten at both. Think Smokin Pig is better,

Aug 20, 2018, 8:35 PM

Shealys is cooked with gas; SP smokes with wood. That should be all you need to know. Shealys is good but it's roast pork with mustard sauce. You don't need sauce to enjoy SPs pulled pork - it's just there on the side if you want it. Shealys serves brisket that is braised in liquid - blasphemy. SPs brisket is smoked TX style. Again it requires no sauce. As someone posted its two totally different animals. Both are good and have their place but if you want real BBQ go to SP. also hash is not a Cola thing - lots of upstate hash particularly Union county. It is uniquely a sc thing as far as I know - maybe some in GA.

Aug 20, 2018, 8:39 PM

I know very few BBQ places that do not serve hash and rice. It is a staple in the BBQ joints that I frequent in the lowlands.

Aug 20, 2018, 8:51 PM

Dukes by the firehouse in Orangeburg rules!

Aug 20, 2018, 8:57 PM

I agree the O'burg hash is some of the best. I never know which dukes in Orangeburg to visit??

Aug 20, 2018, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

I love good hash and BBQ I went to dukes one time never again. Just nasty the whole place was nasty

Aug 20, 2018, 9:34 PM

I must've gone to to same dukes you did. Nasty little cinder block building.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:04 PM

Yep

Aug 21, 2018, 7:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

BBQ is a cult. Everyone has their favorite place and in that persons mind it is the best. So in the future, before you go around trashing a BBQ joint, just remember the Hatfield-McCoy feud started over less.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

been to several Dukes places, not a chain but most are related, and never had bad bbq or seen one that was dirty ..

Aug 20, 2018, 10:55 PM

Probably shouldn't have said nasty. Wasn't so much dirty/nasty as the food was just not good. Very dry pork. I lived in cola a few years after Clemson and a colleague's wife was from O'burg. He'd often bring Q and hash to the office. The hash was great. Wish I knew the location he went to. Live in winston now and folk here have no idea what hash is. They think it's something we eat in sc only because it comes with rice.

I grew up in Denmaek SC, went to Duke in Blackville.Now in

Aug 20, 2018, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

Bluffton , I drive to Dukes in Ridgeland. to get hash

Re: I grew up in Denmaek SC, went to Duke in Blackville.Now in

Aug 21, 2018, 5:22 PM

I grew up in Blackville and we lived at Duke's when I was younger. If you really wanted something special though, go to Miller's Bread Basket and get some smothered pork chops and broccoli casserole. Don't forget a loaf of Cinnamon Raisin Bread to take home.

You got a problem with propane?

Aug 20, 2018, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking Pig vs Shealeys ]

There's something in these hills.

Aug 20, 2018, 8:59 PM

Shelley’s has great food. Smoking has the best brisket this side of Texas

Brisket

Aug 20, 2018, 9:07 PM

You really might want to try Monkey Wrench in TR.
Brisket is as good as I have had.

Re: Brisket

Aug 20, 2018, 9:27 PM

I’ll do that. Thanks for the info

Been to both and much prefer Smokin Pig

Aug 20, 2018, 9:22 PM

The pulled pork at SP is the best I’ve had, and the sauces are excellent (I like to combine them). The real separator to me is the sides, though I do like good hash and rice. The jalapeño grits at SP are reason enough to go.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:19 PM

Smoking Pig has better BBQ than Shealys hands down. However, Shealys does have a greater variety of sides. I’m not a hash guy but most people expect hash at a BBQ place and the Pig doesn’t carry Mac n cheese either

Aug 20, 2018, 10:38 PM

Shealys fried chicken is hard to beat. I lived about an hour away growing up so it was treat to make the trip to shealys. I would eat pulley bones til I was about to puke.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:35 PM

I live in the upstate but Cains in Florence is the best bbq I've had

Go to Shealy's for fried chicken, pulley bones, rice & gravy

Aug 20, 2018, 10:39 PM

potato salad, creamed corn, green beans and lima beans. I hate the hash - it's more mustard than meat.

Go to The Pig for the smoked meats, including ribs, and the sweet potato fries and loaded potato casserole. The fried okra is pretty danged good too.

They truly are two very different styles.

Dukes On Whitman St in....

Aug 20, 2018, 11:13 PM

Orangeburg is the best of the Dukes BBQ places.

Sweatman's is the bomb.

Aug 21, 2018, 9:30 AM

SP has good pulled pork, but not much different than several places I have been. Their Brisket.... WOW. I have had good brisket but never any as good as the Smokin' Pig.
As for Shealeys... it's buffet. You get good some times, average others. Dukes, IMO is the same way. If you like Shealey's you will probably like Mutt's BBQ. Value over quality.
My vote is Smokin' pig between the two.

No comparison for me: Smokin Pig all day

Aug 21, 2018, 9:40 AM

I live and work in Liberty and my co-workers and I hit the Pig in Easley every Friday. Those fine gentlemen and lovely ladies know us by name and treat us right. There isn't a meal like it for miles around. Yeah it stinks that they don't have hash and rice but the rest of their sides make up for it. The jalapeno cheese grits and sweet potato fries are simply ridiculous! Every single thing on the menu is absolutely ridiculous. I didn't see anyone mention how awesome their ribs are!

No Comparison...... Shealy's is not good

Aug 21, 2018, 1:07 PM

I've been to almost all the BBQ places mentioned here and most multiple times.....just ask my doctor. The best BBQ is debatable among a number of joints but the Hash is not. Only about 1/2 the places serve hash, seems most of the newer ones don't.

Hash is clearly Dukes, the only ones that are even in the same stratosphere are the ones from Dukes coaching tree. Antleys in Oburg(believe they used to work for Dukes) and Palmetto Pig in Columbia(believe Antley started that)-- there are probably some others

About 50% of the other places have tolerable hash - none that I'd make a trip for like the above. The rest serve something called hash that is just various degrees of nastiness.

The BBQ at Dukes and the others from Dukes'coaching tree is nothing to write home about. It's good, not great and compared to a Smoking Pig would be considered bland. What I do like about Dukes and makes it ok since you're really going for the Hash is that they don't pre-sauce the Q. You can pick your sauce and put as little or as much as you'd like on it. They lean toward mustard but they usually have the others. Season your pork or beef how you want to when you're cooking but don't ******* drown it in sauce once it's off, let the customer handle that!!

As for BBQ- love Smokin Pig- ranks high and I have been to most in-state and many out of state. BBQ in general is kind of like fried chicken- hard to screw up so the good ones are separating themselves on the smoker and making their's great!

Lewis BBQ

Aug 21, 2018, 1:41 PM

Lewis BBQ in Charleston is best brisket I've had. He cooked with Aaron Franklin in one of the most famous bbq joints in Texas

Re: Lewis BBQ

Aug 21, 2018, 4:01 PM

Heard nothing but rave reviews at Lewis BBQ. Its on my list too.

Anyone here compete in BBQ comps? I do a few a year.

Shealeys is slop

Aug 21, 2018, 9:55 PM

not sure my dog would eat it.
SP IS WORLD CLASS

Aug 21, 2018, 10:06 PM

Smoking Pig is extremely overpriced for mediocre food. However Bubbas BBQ and Bash in Spartanburg is the best around.

Aug 21, 2018, 10:23 PM

I’m a fan of smokin pig pulled pork, brisket, and sides are all good.

Speaking of hash, the first time I had hash/rice was from Jus BBQ that used to be next to the Esso Club. I’m sure part of the reason was proximity but I liked Jus BBQ a lot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2018, 11:44 PM

Loved that place. Just bbq was awesome. Great pulled pork cooked over pecan wood. I don't recall the hash specifically but it was a good spot. Mr Quattlebom was there - assume he ran the place.

The brisket is the best on planet Earth!

Aug 21, 2018, 10:39 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Shealy's has it all. Salad bar, main and side dish buffet,

Aug 22, 2018, 4:20 AM

desert bar. Three different flavored BBQ, hash, pulley bone chicken, liver nips, chicken livers, chicken gizzards, rice, mashed potatoes, green beans, greens, butter beans, and on and on. A picky eater can find something to eat. They are hard to beat. Other places have better BBQ and hash, but don't have Shealy's selection.

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic