Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since nobody can agree on Hatfield, perhaps we can agree on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 3,686

Since nobody can agree on Hatfield, perhaps we can agree on

Jan 18, 2018, 9:08 AM

the WORST football head coach at Clemson.

My vote goes to Hootie Ingram. The Worst of All Time! I remember as a very young child, my father getting the family up to leave during a particularly lopsided loss and cussing the man out. LOL.

With that said, the man did introduce the Paw to Clemson. So there's that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Since nobody can agree on Hatfield, perhaps we can agree on

Jan 18, 2018, 9:10 AM

Hatfield didn't do his homework before stepping into the role...or, he was willing to embrace the 'vision' of the administration at the time. Regardless, it didn't work and Clemson suffered. Regardless, Hatfield didn't kill Tiger football, but his decision to take the job killed his career and reputation.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 9:11 AM

Apparently, I think 'regardless' is the word of the day. I blame the administration of the 90's for that! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 9:15 AM

Lennon was a snake in the grass. The man's word was worthless. I'll leave it at that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Every single fan, player, and alumnus was shocked and angry

Jan 18, 2018, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Since nobody can agree on Hatfield, perhaps we can agree on ]

about Danny Ford's departure. The revisionist tale of how Ford's "resignation" was a good thing for Clemson, or that it was supported by fans who "understood", is pure garbage. Everybody who was old enough to know what was going on was devastated, and understands the long term damage it did to the Clemson football program, and they understand who was to blame. There is no gray area there, and never has been. Anything else is made up nonsense, usually by people who weren't around then.

The powers that be intentionally chose somebody that was very different from Danny Ford, which turned out to be a very unpopular decision on top of another very unpopular decision. I'm not here to tell folks how great Hatfield was, as he had his own shortcomings, but he was doomed from the start, in many ways, and Clemson football suffered for over a decade.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 18, 2018, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Since nobody can agree on Hatfield, perhaps we can agree on ]

HIs final team at Clemson finished 9-3.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people can never move on. Sure Hatfield has.***

Jan 18, 2018, 9:25 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield won 70% of his games, Hootie 36%.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:25 AM

Hootie was by far the worst. When people talk about Hatfield being the worst, they are confusing "worst" with "most unpopular", or maybe "most unlikable".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Hatfield won 70% of his games, Hootie 36%.

Jan 18, 2018, 10:34 AM

I was there for Hootie and Red Parker. Both teams stunk.

Howard built it

Jan 18, 2018, 9:30 AM

Danny filled it
Hatfield killed it

^^^^ THIS ^^^^***

Jan 18, 2018, 9:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: ^^^^ THIS ^^^^***

Jan 18, 2018, 10:35 AM

Danny left a national championship team at Clemson and Hatfield ran the program into the ground. When he left we were pathetic, especially along the lines of scrimmage. He was terrible. Period

Definitely Tommy Bowden and it's not even close***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

When you evaluate a head coach it is important to look closely at his ability to hire the right assistants to help him develop a championship program. No head coach can do it alone. Coach Swinney is certainly the very best at this and Coach Ford was especially good also. Coach Pell had those skills as well. That’s where Ford came from! Neither West nor Parker nor Hatfield (especially Hatfield) had this ability. imo. I really don’t know where to include Bowden in this discussion. He appeared to me to be a coach who made all the calls and allowed his assistants little say so in the way the team operated. This is just the way I saw things and I could be mistaken. His arrogance was evident to me in the few times I was around him and that is not a good trait for a coach to have.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:32 AM

Probably would give Tommy West the nod for 2nd worst.....

Screw Calford.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Since nobody can agree on Hatfield, perhaps we can agree on ]

Anyone around during the Hatfielld era must understand that he inherited one of the top programs that was loaded with talent recruited by Danny Ford and lived off of Danny's recruits and his won lost record is very misleading Not only could he not recruit but he refused or hated to go on the Iptay banquets and he was never going to fit in at Clemson they should have got ride of him earlier than he did.

I'm sure I'll get killed for this but

Jan 18, 2018, 9:35 AM

Tommy West was worse than Hatfield imo.
West was just a likeable guy.
West couldn't recruit. He couldn't drum up an offense to save his life while he was here. Worst hire ever at Clemson with hardly any experience and that experience was bad when hired(4-7).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my lifetime, Ingram and West were both much worse than

Jan 18, 2018, 10:03 AM

Hatfield.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I'm sure I'll get killed for this but

Jan 18, 2018, 10:21 AM [ in reply to I'm sure I'll get killed for this but ]

Only reason West got the job a lot of folks thought he was the good old down home boy aw shucks kinda like Ford but he didn’t have Fords ability.Good guy for sure as was Hatfield

I like when we started the game with 3 fullback dives

Jan 18, 2018, 10:24 AM [ in reply to I'm sure I'll get killed for this but ]

in a row with E Smith. Each one went for a yard or two.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm sure I'll get killed for this but

Jan 19, 2018, 5:34 AM [ in reply to I'm sure I'll get killed for this but ]

West was too young, inexperienced and way over his head. Very likeable guy

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

My vote is Tommy West

Jan 18, 2018, 9:36 AM

We were never going anywhere with him, every year we stumbled into the season and had to fight for bowl eligibility at the end. Giving nuggets in preseason like” we’re gonna throw to the tight ends more and didn’t. He had maybe 6. Plays. It was a dark time.
GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He really did well as the AD at Florida State and Alabama.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:45 AM

n/m

Tiger/Terrier

It's all Riggs' fault for starting this nonsense.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:53 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Where do you think the term

Jan 18, 2018, 10:27 AM

"rigged" originated?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: It's all Riggs' fault for starting this nonsense.

Jan 19, 2018, 5:37 AM [ in reply to It's all Riggs' fault for starting this nonsense. ]

Take his name off of all fields, roads, buildings etc ??

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 18, 2018, 9:58 AM

What about the one hit wonder who coached in 1908?

John Stone.

Jan 18, 2018, 10:27 AM

End of discussion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

The thing that I never understood about Hatfield...

Jan 19, 2018, 7:15 AM

was how he could screw up talented teams and win with worse teams. His 1992 team had "Top Ten talent" and went 5-6 and literally "quit" on him after the Maryland game, and his 1993 team had almost no talent and went 8-3 under him with basically a "smoke and mirrors" coaching job.

Replies: 28
| visibility 3,686
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic