Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shout out to WCCP & Staff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,940

Shout out to WCCP & Staff

Jan 7, 2016, 1:43 AM

I've been listening to WCCP for almost 6 years. Over time I've heard ok to fair broadcasters and commentators and I've heard great broadcasters and commentators. WCCP is loaded with talent themselves as they give us the best radio coverage of Tiger Athletics for our players and community.
A couple of quick notes:
Ben - One of the nicest guys you ever want to meet, frequents Roy's show and is a Clemson man.
Roy P. - He is our talent Clemson insider with player interviews, and a passion for the Tigers. He is the best at his show and wouldn't rather listen to any other at that time slot, very entertaining and informative.
William Q.- Great perspective in the morning, entertaining and informative ( Math is a wonderful thing ) I enjoy listening to Him, Kelly and Ricky. Great show and great perspective on the Tigers and surrounding programs.
Walt D. - I have to say, when I first heard him, I knew right away that He was a talented but un-bias broadcaster. Over the years Walt has grown on me, I respect his perspective and objective thoughts towards teams- He just happens to be broadcasting Here in Clemson, not being a native of S.C. I think though after some time, Walt has seen how Dabo Swinney runs his program, sees the talent there being recruited ( Which Walt is a good judge of recruits ) and how the coaching staff has the team prepared as any in the nation to stand in the last game for the title. So, maybe, just maybe Walt is wearing Orange occasionally and He's here to stay to continue to give us a great show each and every day. Oh and Romana does a great job too. The whole crew and staff and top shelf- enough said.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^Found the program manager for WCCP^^^^

Jan 7, 2016, 1:58 AM

I know Roy is ok, but I listened to Walt for about 5 minutes on TuneIn radio because I live in Charlotte, and suddenly realized that I do not miss WCCP. I urge everyone in the Clemson area to just get Sirius and listen to Mark Packer on there. Packer is a Clemson guy, leans Clemson, but still has a very successful national radio show where discusses all teams and all sports. We do not ask Walt to blow orange and purple f'ing rainbows over the wccp towers, but do not be a tool either and insult the team whose fans make up 90% of your demographic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.***

Jan 7, 2016, 1:59 AM

Re: ^^^^^Found the program manager for WCCP^^^^

Jan 7, 2016, 6:14 AM [ in reply to ^^^^^Found the program manager for WCCP^^^^ ]

Packer is an entertainment only guy. He offers no substance. ... at least Walt can back up (most) if his claims and opinions with logical reasons.

Re: Shout out to WCCP & Staff

Jan 7, 2016, 5:46 AM

Walt is very impressive knowledge wise. Ask him about any team of any sport and he can tell you who played what 20 years ago . I have spoke with him on air and in person many times. Listen long enough and you see he is a sport computer. He just can't pick games.
GO TIGERS!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Walt, is that you?***

Jan 7, 2016, 6:17 AM

is it Opposite Day and no one told me?***

Jan 7, 2016, 6:23 AM

Whats your thoughts on Mickey? ...just curious***

Jan 7, 2016, 7:34 AM

Re: Whats your thoughts on Mickey? ...just curious***

Jan 9, 2016, 4:55 PM

Danny Boy, After I posted this- I realized that I forgot to mention Mickey. I used to listen to Mickey in the mornings, almost 10 yeas ago when it was 104.9. Mickey is great to listen to, has a lot of inside information and is good at picking games. As far as I know, he's been around the longest- through all the transitions. My shift changed so I just don't get to listen to him as much as I once did. He's an excellent broadcaster and has a lot of knowledge.

As far as the comments about other broadcasters, everyone has someone that they favor for one reason or another. That's cool, I just appreciate being able to turn on the radio during my route and listen to Clemson insiders- from different perspectives.
I used to listen to Packer out of Charlotte, but some of His show had things in it that just didn't interest me. Great Broadcaster, just didn't keep my attention with some of the other elements of his show.
I noticed they ( WCCP ) have gotten a lot of new sponsors lately, thus increasing the ads, pitches, etc.
I'm not a fan of commercials, at least repeated and.. repeated commercials. However, when you don't have satellite radio in your work truck, I'm glad to have 105.5 to listen to in my route.

Been a Tiger Fan for almost 35 years, I hope the Tigers win by 2 Touchdowns on Monday night - this team is capable of it.

Jan 7, 2016, 7:37 AM

Regarding Walt - he has the most annoying nasally voice that has ever been broadcast over radio waves. Regardless of his sports aptitude or opinion (good or bad) he doesn't have the voice for radio media - I can't take more than five minutes of his voice as it is like a high pitched grinding of gears that is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2016, 9:28 AM

Sounds like WCCP PR department is working overtime in this tread. While I do enjoy some of the midday shows with William Qualkinbush and Roy Philpott, I cannot understand why Mickey is on during the morning drive. He is very tough to listen to. He wanders all over the place, is not that knowledgeable and certainly not entertaining. Probably a real nice guy to have a beer with, but not suited to be the lead show for the station. Now that his side kick is on the show it is somewhat better but prior to that I could not listen to him. Put someone else in the morning slot and listeners would increase. In addition way too many commercials. ESPN sports 105.9 is much better for the morning drive, unfortunately they don't always focus on college football. Just my two cents.

Jan 7, 2016, 9:34 AM

lol, mickey has more knowledge about clemson athletics than any of the other goobers that work there. not a fan of thomas black but come on man, mickey passes out more info on clemson than anyone out there. qualk is a buffoon

please play more ads, please (not really)

Jan 7, 2016, 9:44 AM

this actually happened this morning (not the first time, either).

Mickey goes to commercial. I switch stations over to SiriusXM College Sports channel, as I often do. They take 2 callers. Then THEY go to commercial break.

WCCP still in commercial, so I stay on XM to listen to their ads instead of hearing same Roto-Rooter ad for the 4,000th time.

SiriusXM comes BACK from commercial, takes a caller.
Switch to WCCP, they are STILL in commercial break.
WCCP break finally over, but Mickey decides to talk about Harbin Lumber for 2 more minutes.

Your greed will be your demise.

I hired rooter-dude. Man, was I sorry.***

Jan 9, 2016, 4:59 PM

I remember a couple of years ago, Deptula was saying........

Jan 9, 2016, 5:01 PM

what a great commit we had just gotten when DW committed. A coot called in and begged to differ with Walt. Walt told the coot that CU with DW would be playing for a natty in two or three years. Coot couldn't stop laughing at Deptula.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember a couple of years ago, Deptula was saying........

Jan 9, 2016, 5:06 PM

I remember a few other comments Walt said- particularly at the end of last season. The one remembered most is: "If Deshaun Watson stays healthy all season, the Tigers have a strong chance at making it to the Finals". Turned out He was right.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,940
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic