Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should we trust D-Rad?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Should we trust D-Rad?

Jun 1, 2014, 9:13 AM

I heard him speak once, came across as quite arrogant.

Look at the shape he left Tech in.

Ok, he rebuilt their arena, so hire a Construction Manager.

His moves so far have divided some of Tiger Nation-

Fired Yannity, Merritt leaves.

Promoted Munson.

Dabo's buyout.

Brownell's contract.

I am so far, not impressed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should we trust D-Rad?

Jun 1, 2014, 9:44 AM

I don`t think he understands the TIGER WAY yet!!We simply are MORE FAMILY than other colleges and our fan base is more "tight-nit"than others. I sure hope someone(BOT maybe)gets him that word soon.The moves he has made so far have not been well received @ all!!

What he does to correct the "train wreck" that is our baseball program just might let us know if he has a future @ Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should we trust D-Rad?

Jun 1, 2014, 10:44 AM

are we really tight-nit?

Re: "are we really tight nit?" lol, come on LT...

Jun 1, 2014, 1:53 PM

We may not all agree with each other & our opinions of things on the boards, but Clemson is a tight-nit blanket of fans & alumni!
I've personally experienced that in my world travels as well, not only here locally & around the nation.
Just because we don't agree doesn't mean we're not fans of the same thing, & its different around here, it's special in Clemson.
I don't care what anyone says to argue that because I know better...luckily live here :)
Whenever I see another Clemson fan, our logos, THE Paw, some orange & white & purple...I'm always looking to catch that smile or greeting or 1 2 3 4. It's great to be a Tiger for certain, win or lose.
I like wining naturally, more than anything else. But I love my tigers & I think most of us other Clemson folks do too, even if we do it in other ways & expressions...we have that bond for sure & to be an alum only strengthens that.

Go Tigers!

FIRE D-Rad!***

Jun 1, 2014, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Should we trust D-Rad? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't expect DRad to give a rip about Clemson as an

Jun 1, 2014, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Should we trust D-Rad? ]

institution. The only thing that moves his meter is money. That's why he was hired.

If he thinks making a change with Leggett would improve the bottom line, he would do it. Otherwise not. It's a shame that big donors (who truly do love Clemson) have to withhold, or threaten to withhold, donations in order to make things happen. Or lots of season ticket holders (who truly love Clemson) have to not renew. Either way, it has to be economic to cause a change.

Wins, losses, reputation, don't matter to them if the money keeps rolling in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Why weren't those big donors doing anything after each...

Jun 1, 2014, 11:08 AM

Bowden contract extension?

You're delusional, he would not lose his job over the....

Jun 1, 2014, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Should we trust D-Rad? ]

baseball program. I really don't nowhere some you get the idea that college baseball is huge. You've been believing the malarkey that your coot friends have been telling you.

There are only two major college sports: Football and Men's Basketball. And in both those sports Clemson is trending up.

Re: You're delusional, he would not lose his job over the....

Jun 1, 2014, 11:12 AM

You're delusional if you don't think college baseball is huge around here.

It's still not a money making sport b/c most of the

Jun 1, 2014, 11:30 AM

country doesn't give a crap about it and doesn't want to watch it on TV. TV = money

Heard somewhere that he had been told at GT

Jun 1, 2014, 9:48 AM

That his contract would not be renewed. Anyone else hear this?

Re: Heard somewhere that he had been told at GT

Jun 1, 2014, 10:05 AM

Why would it have been? He has let their athletic department a smoldering pile of rubble. They will have a nice basketball arena that maybe one day they can afford to hire a real coach for if/when they finish paying Paul Hewett's annual salary - which still probably places him in the top 10 of college basketball despite not actually coaching. As bad as TDP got played by Tommy Bowden it is change in the tip jar compared to what Hewett pulled off on GT. DRad has never hired a successful coach and never failed to gratuitously overpay anyone he's ever negotiated with. And why should he care. It's not his money. He isn't loyal to these schools. And people keep giving him a job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why did they hire him anyway?***

Jun 1, 2014, 10:19 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do know Hewitt took GT to the national title game...

Jun 1, 2014, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Heard somewhere that he had been told at GT ]

selective memory you have there. So at one time Hewitt was doing a good job.

Re: You do know Hewitt took GT to the national title game...

Jun 1, 2014, 4:43 PM

Yes, at one time he did well. I don't have a selective memory. Do you know what deal he was given. I believe in guaranteed terms it was at the time the most lucrative deal ever offered any college bball coach. It was an 6 year deal - no buyout - automatically renewing at the end of every season. With, scheduled escalators in salary. At no point would GT ever again owe Paul Hewett less than 6 years full salary to terminate his agreement. And DRad did not hire Paul Hewett so my points stand in full. All he did was back the Brinks truck up to pay a guy someone else hired.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link please***

Jun 1, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Heard somewhere that he had been told at GT ]

No link, just something I literally heard

Jun 1, 2014, 11:13 AM

On a sports talk radio show. Never said it was a reliable source...just that I heard it. That's why I was asking if anyone had heard it from a more credible source.

And on a Coot homer show, at that***

Jun 1, 2014, 11:20 AM

D-Rad is a plant by GT to bring our program down.***

Jun 1, 2014, 10:57 AM

You're a moron if you think Dabo will be fired in the next..

Jun 1, 2014, 11:03 AM

few years. Brownell's contract was a good thing. It was pretty much the first time in my life the Athletic Department has done anything to have a sustainable basketball program. By the way, most of Tiger Nation really didn't care for Yannity or Merritt. Although, I think they did a good job, but a change is no big deal. Yannity has other commitments, and the AD wanted someone who was full time Clemson. So the move makes sense.

It's early, but I like some of the moves D-Rad is making. A whole lot more proactive than the fundraiser TDP. Can't compare GT to Clemson, because there fan base is like 1/36th the size of Clemson's.

Moron, that is my point.

Jun 1, 2014, 11:14 AM

We cannot fire Dabo if we wanted to with the outlandish buyout D-Rad gave him.

And why give him that, no one wanted Dabo.

Intelligent post. I like the reasons you give for your

Jun 1, 2014, 11:28 AM

opinions. Oh wait...

Re: Moron, that is my point.

Jun 1, 2014, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Moron, that is my point. ]

I don't approve of monstrous buy-outs for coaches, but to say no one wanted Dabo is just not true. We've done better under Dabo than anyone since Danny, and he seems to be doing it the right way. Our recruiting is trending up, unlike the baseball team's. I think Dabo will be with us for a while.

Re: Moron, that is my point.

Jun 1, 2014, 12:29 PM

Nobody has come after Dabo.

Yes, I agree our recruiting and other aspects of the football program, except for our ability to beat the Coots, is trending upward.

But, tell me one school that has tried to hire Dabo.

You have no clue what you're talking about...

Jun 1, 2014, 1:58 PM

How do you know nobody has looked into Dabo? Simple answer: You don't. But regardless..

1. Who do you know that has come after Jimbo Fisher, Mike Gundy, Steve Spurrier, Art Briles, Brian Kelly, Les Miles, Gary Pinkel, etc, etc.? These are some of the winningest coaches in the last 5 years.

2. Clemson is in the top 20 (17th) of the nation in wins since 2009 (Dabo's first year as head coach). That includes the 2010 debacle.

3. CLEMSON IS 8TH IN THE NATION IN WINS THE LAST 3 YEARS. Clemson has been in the BCS twice and beat teams like FSU, Georgia, VT, Auburn, LSU and Ohio State. These facts are are called results. The results speak loud and clear.

More ignorance: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15413058

Please, get a clue.

Re: Be honest. I can't recall another Clemson coach losing

Jun 1, 2014, 7:12 PM

five in a a row to the Coots.

Well of course no other coach has done that, but too,

Jun 3, 2014, 9:45 AM

no other coach played against a uSC team nearly on this level. Not an excuse, just a fact. Also, one of the most famed coaches in Clemson history (hint: our football field is named after him) had a losing record to uSC.

Dabo needs to beat uSC. No question. But too, his body of work is second best in the history of the program.

And before you go there, NO, I do not accept losing the c0cks.

The other guy made some silly comments. Here are the corrections.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15413111

Re: MY God > wws < you are waaaaaay off base!!!

Jun 1, 2014, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Moron, that is my point. ]

Worse than our baseball team the last big games....
Time to set down the keyboard or smartphone & stop!
Dabo's contract may be more than some would've liked to gaurantee, but show us any evidence that he is not doing all the right things & showing no sign of let down... it's more like only getting better with experience!
& don't come back with "beat the coots" - the ONLY semi-valid arguing point. Because we will & all this five & 6 BS will be done, back to business as usual!

Screw coots!

Re: You're a moron if you think Dabo will be fired in the next..

Jun 1, 2014, 12:51 PM [ in reply to You're a moron if you think Dabo will be fired in the next.. ]

Kudos for the post and logically reasoned perspective.

However tnet typically does feature much logic or reason so you may get pummeled.

Re: You're a moron if you think Dabo will be fired in the next..

Jun 1, 2014, 12:55 PM

FWIW... sarcasm intended for tnet not OP.

Tnet usually avoids logic and well reasoned posts.

Everything but ...

Jun 1, 2014, 1:31 PM [ in reply to You're a moron if you think Dabo will be fired in the next.. ]

"...most of Tiger Nation...Merritt." Wrong. Merritt was beloved by the vast majority. I'm not so sure about Yannity. I didn't care for Yannity but was ok with him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Link on MOST of Tiger Nation not caring for

Jun 1, 2014, 1:38 PM [ in reply to You're a moron if you think Dabo will be fired in the next.. ]

Yannity or Merritt?

Thanks. I had forgotten about Dabo's buyout, signifying

Jun 1, 2014, 1:33 PM

that losing to South Carolina is acceptable for the foreseeable future, as we can't afford to fire him even if it gets to eight in a row...now I'm depressed.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm far from depressed. Just keeping getting up to the

Jun 1, 2014, 1:40 PM

major bowl wins and hopefully ACC championships.

BCS Bowls + ACC Champs>Coots

Jun 1, 2014, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Thanks. I had forgotten about Dabo's buyout, signifying ]

Let them enjoy their streak.

Trophy case still empty.

Re: Thanks. I had forgotten about Dabo's buyout, signifying

Jun 1, 2014, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Thanks. I had forgotten about Dabo's buyout, signifying ]

Give it a rest, it's not like we lost 5 in a row to an inferior football team, they have been a legitimate top team these past few years as much as that sucks.

Some of you just want good 'ol boys running Clemson.

Jun 1, 2014, 1:41 PM

I don't think Radakovich comes across as arrogant. He does speak well and with confidence though, as he should. He has made some difficult decisions, which aren't going to be popular with everyone. I would argue that those decisions had to be made. This isn't the 1980s anymore. Clemson, and college athletics, are much different now. Thankfully, Radakovich recognizes that.

He isn't perfect, and I don't agree with everything he has done. But overall, I think he is doing a great job.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

D-Rad didn't make Hewitt's contract...

Jun 1, 2014, 1:46 PM

Dave Braine did. D-Rad fired Hewitt.

Nothing wrong with Dabo's buyout or Brownell's contract.

Did you know LSU won 11 team national titles while D-Rad was there? I'm guessing not.

Your post is way off.

DAN RADAKOVICH WAS NEVER AD AT LSU

Jun 1, 2014, 8:13 PM

You have more than once quoted the idiotic 11 titles situation. He was not AD. But, if he was, 10 of the 11 were for track. They were the premier track program in the nation and the program completely fell apart under the the hire made during his tenure at LSU. There is nothing, whatsoever, to offer as credible evidence that Dan Radakovich is competent at hiring and firing coaches.

DAN RADAKOVICH WAS SR ASSOC AD AT LSU FROM

Jun 3, 2014, 9:39 AM

2001-2006. You reckon the Senior Assoc. AD had any say in the hiring process? Of course he did.

Another part where you were wrong, you said 10 of 11 national titles were in track. The facts are, during DRAD's time at LSU they won these Team National Championships.

TEAM:

Football in 2003, 2007.
Baseball in 2009.
Men's Indoor Track in 2001, 2004.
Women's Indoor Track in 2002, 2003, 2004.
Men's Outdoor Track in 2002.
Women's Outdoor Track in 2003, 2008.

That's 8 championships in track, 1 in baseball, and 2 in football.

INDIVIDUAL:

Something like 113 individual titles.

You should be more careful when throwing around words like, "idiotic".

Thanks.

By the way, I do realize..

Jun 3, 2014, 10:00 AM

..that I counted football and track in 2007 and 2008, but then again, those hires were made while DRAD was there. Probably several more made my coaches hired by him as well.

Hired Johnson at GT....not too impressive.

Jun 1, 2014, 1:50 PM

Time will tell but I'm not very impressed by GT. Not sure if that is a reflection of DRad or the fact that who the heck wants to coach and play at GT?

I was never Barker fan and he hired DRad.

What's "depressing" & sad like sadmba is...

Jun 1, 2014, 2:32 PM

That you guys can actually focus so specifically on our record solely between us & USuCk...so much to the degree that you'd say Dabo hasn't done a good job & changed things for the better around here!!!??
HTH...? Brownell has done well, we'll see what happens with Leggett. D-Rad has displayed no inability to make hard decisions moving our programs forward & out of a stalemate, both with growth & construction projects & program stabilties such as coaching staffs & contracts. (Some "heavy" contracts, I admit, but they've proved their worth so far by results & consecutive seasonal improvent.)

Now THAT IS depressing! That we have such fans that can't see the forest for the trees & have a little vision for our great university & what we have in place & going on here...?! Tough moves call for tough decisions, so wait & see before tearing it down. I want to see more of the finished product!

Go Tigers!

Johnson has done about as well as most at GT, but too,

Jun 3, 2014, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Hired Johnson at GT....not too impressive. ]

if you were going to sh!tcan every AD who ever missed on a football coach, would you have any left??

By the way, DRAD didn't hire Hewitt. He fired him though.

Re: A D- right now. He needs to get his skates on.***

Jun 1, 2014, 6:29 PM

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic