Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should the playoffs be expanded?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Should the playoffs be expanded?

Jan 2, 2016, 8:58 PM

After a few games yesterday a lot of media calling for an 8 team playoff bc of what Stanford and Ohio State did in their games. I agree that both teams looked very good, and playoff material, but they LOST their regular season games, Stanford to NorthWestern and Oregon, and Ohio State to MichiganState. They didn't deserve to be in.

Furthermore would you all really want to have to play another game every year to win the Natty, 16 games is an NFL season. The Tigers and Bama had to play an extra game this year, when if the old system was in place, we would have had the same result. Clemson vs Bama in the NC game. What if Lawson can't play bc he was hurt in a semifinal game?

I do like the current format, 4 teams is enough. I don't think it should be expanded to 8, but I'm sure that will happen eventually.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since 1 and 2 selected by a commitee wound up in the

Jan 2, 2016, 9:06 PM

Natty I don't see how it was that different from the BCS. 3 and 4 clearly didn't deserve to be there so why water it down further. I don't expect it anytime soon especially since the tv audience of both games fell by 1/3 of last years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since 1 and 2 selected by a commitee wound up in the

Jan 2, 2016, 9:10 PM

Well they let bowl committees push them around and put the semi-finals on the 31st. So that didn't help them in the ratings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

your right, that's why the ratings went down.

Jan 2, 2016, 9:12 PM

They should play the 2 semifinal games on New Years Day when everyone is off work and watching football. If the Tigers aren't in the playoff there will be many years in which I won't be watching but will be out at a New Years party.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: your right, that's why the ratings went down.

Jan 2, 2016, 9:14 PM

Exactly. But we're not big tv execs, so what would we know.

Oh, Rose Bowl...you refuse to play on the 31st every few years? That's cool...the Gator Bowl would be happy to have the spot, I'm sure.

I agree. Burying those playoff games like that in a sea of

Jan 2, 2016, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Since 1 and 2 selected by a commitee wound up in the ]

meaningless bowls was dumb idea. They need to tell those snobs at the Rose Bowl fall in line or be gone.

Re: I agree. Burying those playoff games like that in a sea of

Jan 2, 2016, 9:16 PM

Yep, my post above exactly. The semi-finals need to be 4pm & 8pm on New Years Day, with no competing games.

Jan 2, 2016, 9:24 PM

I tend to agree, but the Rose Bowl would never go for that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2016, 9:30 PM

Boo freaking hoo for them. Hold their feet to the fire already. How many bowls do you think would JUMP to take their spot? And then, they would cave...or REALLY lose their prime-time spot.

I completely agree. If the rose bowl isn't a playoff game then...

Jan 2, 2016, 9:40 PM

It should be moved that year. Especially since it has lost some flair with the best teams from the Pac12 and Big10 in the playoff and not playing in the rosebowl.

If Iowa had beaten MSU they would have been crushed by Bama as well. It's hard to leave an undefeated power 5 team out but who did Iowa actually beat this year that was a great team? Wisconsin was probably the best team they beat all year and they won that 10-6.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/big-ten/2015-iowa-hawkeyes-football-schedule.php

#4 won last year though.

Jan 2, 2016, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Since 1 and 2 selected by a commitee wound up in the ]

i was a fan of 8 when they first started talking about the playoff, but after 2 years i feel 4 is best for now.

the regular season's importance remains and i'm sorry stanford couldn't make it happen when it counted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love it at 4.

Jan 2, 2016, 9:08 PM

I'm not a fan of the idea that a team should get in just because they won their conference. Stanford won their conference, but dropped two regular season games (Northwestern and WSU). If they wanted to get in, they should have won.

Stanford lost to Oregon, and Oregon lost to WSU.***

Jan 2, 2016, 9:10 PM

That's right. I just remember WSU taking Stanford to the

Jan 2, 2016, 9:12 PM

wire.

No. In fact this years final would have been the same as BCS

Jan 2, 2016, 9:11 PM

I like that the regular season has meaning.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should the playoffs be expanded?

Jan 2, 2016, 9:13 PM

15 games is enough.

I like 4 just fine.***

Jan 2, 2016, 9:15 PM

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

No, they would just put more SEC teams in it.***

Jan 2, 2016, 9:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^This. SEC is butthurt with 4.***

Jan 2, 2016, 10:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2016, 9:19 PM

I think this year 4 was good. Last year, sure you can argue that it wasn't enough. Each year will be different.
But if you say Stanford and Ohio St won big and should be in, you have to consider the flip side. Iowa and ND also would be in and they clearly didn't look like playoff teams.
Hence the other NY6 bowls. You miss the playoffs but get the chance at an ultra premier bowl.

Jan 2, 2016, 9:23 PM

If it goes to 8, I would think the regular season would have to be shortened. Maybe back to 11 games?

Six teams. Seeds 1 and 2 get 1st round bye.***

Jan 2, 2016, 9:23 PM

No.

And, the Rose Bowl needs to be told it is not as important as the playoffs and that fact will be considered in the next contracts.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

No, four is perfect. Regular season

needs to keep level of importance that it currently has.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we want to see more rematches in the playoff then yes.

Jan 2, 2016, 10:08 PM

There should be no rematches in football. Frankly, if a team beats one from another division it should eliminate the one with the most losses from the CCG much less the playoff. Never another rematch in the post season, ever.

It dismisses the importance of the regular season games and disrespects the winning team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic