Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question about Mike Williams...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Serious question about Mike Williams...

Feb 23, 2016, 6:00 PM

He scored a touchdown on the play he got hurt. Does he get credit for the TD considering he had to take a medical redshirt?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It counted on the scoreboard...***

Feb 23, 2016, 6:07 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about Mike Williams...

Feb 23, 2016, 6:23 PM

When was it made public that Mike Williams was granted a medical hardship waiver? There was much talk about it here on TigerNet throughout the season but I've never read any official statement on the matter.

Did he take a Med RS??

Feb 23, 2016, 6:27 PM

@davidhood, can you confirm or quash this? I don't remember hearing one way or the other.

Re: Did he take a Med RS??

Feb 23, 2016, 7:22 PM

I cannot confirm this, just what I heard just like everyone else. Sorry for the confusion but really would like to know the answer to original question. He definitely earned

If Watson got credit for throwing it...

Feb 23, 2016, 6:34 PM

they had to give the reception to somebody.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2016, 6:42 PM

I am almost certain that a player can be awarded a medical RS for an injury that occurs early in the season. I don't remember the exact rule regarding the # of games played in prior to the injury, but I am pretty sure it's more than 1. Williams was hurt in the 1st quarter of game 1, so I am sure he qualified.

Feb 23, 2016, 6:50 PM

His eligibility isn't in question, but rather if / when the coaches actually submitted the required paperwork to be granted the waiver itself. The NCAA has deadlines for such things and, to my knowledge, none of this was ever made public regarding Mike Williams. A lot of us here at T-Net had come to the conclusions that he forewent the application, assuming he would be leaving for the NFL early regardless.

Feb 23, 2016, 6:55 PM

Medical Redshirts can be applied for at the time of the injury ( that season) or at a later date during a college career...

Regarding Mike... Seeing as he has eligibility for the upcoming season.. There would be no need at this time to do so....if he decided to come back for another year... The medical could be applied for at that time.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2016, 7:18 PM

> Medical Redshirts can be applied for at the time of
> the injury ( that season) or at a later date during a
> college career...
>
> Regarding Mike... Seeing as he has eligibility for
> the upcoming season.. There would be no need at this
> time to do so....if he decided to come back for
> another year... The medical could be applied for at
> that time.

What she said. The stipulation is to have appeared in less than 20% - which translates as "two" - games during the season in question. Considering he barely made it out of the first quarter of Game 1, a medical redshirt would not be a problem...should he actually want one.

You get hurt any time during the first two games and you're golden. You get hurt in the third game and the season will almost certainly count depending on how lenient the NCAA is feeling towards your school. If it happens in Game 4 or later...foggetaboutit, it counts as a season of eligibility gone. Tony Steward got burned by that rule...which honestly was our coaches' - meaning, Kevin Steele's - fault for letting him appear for a few plays on special teams as a true freshman, which burned a year of eligibility when he ended up getting hurt. Or we would have had him this year as well and he would have gone a lot higher than Round 6 of the draft.

Feb 23, 2016, 7:30 PM

Thanks for clearing that up

Feb 23, 2016, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious question about Mike Williams... ]

This is the first I'm hearing that one could apply at a later date. It has always been my understanding the the player had to apply for the medical hardship waiver at the end of the season the injury took place in.

According to the by-laws, the medical documentation submitted with the waiver application must be contemporaneous from a physician [medical doctor] who administered care at the time of the injury or illness, and that establishes the student-athlete’s inability to compete as a result of that injury or illness.

Nowhere in the by-laws does it say the player can apply at any time. Are you sure of this? I'm just curious.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic