Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious Question: Do some fans think Clemson has a problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,675

Serious Question: Do some fans think Clemson has a problem

Mar 18, 2019, 4:14 PM

hiring decent human beings?

Dabo: Great guy.
Brownell: Great guy.
Bowden: Great guy.
etc.

I rarely post much anymore, though since leaving Clemson I still remain a fervent supporter of Clemson in all sports. And I'll always root for the team on the field, regardless of who is coaching it. But I still lurk this board, and talk with my friends religiously about our great university.

And one of the consistent arguments for Brownell I hear from any supporter is how Brownell is a 'great guy' or a 'class act' or 'does it the right way'. Does Clemson have a history of hiring people that don't act that way? Do we not have confidence in the current administration to make a hire that would also be a 'class act' or do it the right way?

I can get behind the 'who would you hire instead?' or the 'Clemson is not a destination school for great coaches', at least at this point... and I don't have a great counterargument for that. But until I hear some argument otherwise I don't understand the argument on how Brownell is a great human being should be factored in, because I'd like to think any man that would end up leading other Clemson men... would be somebody that embodied the Clemson spirit.

Do some fans that are more seasoned than my relatively few 3 decades on this earth have an example where Clemson has made a poor hiring decision at a major sport that was poor due to the character of the man? (And I'm not talking about leaving for a different job)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barnes

Mar 18, 2019, 4:42 PM

questionable character.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^nowhere near a "great guy"^^^****

Mar 18, 2019, 8:13 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson admin loved him

Mar 18, 2019, 8:20 PM

so did a bunch of others. The way he left was wrong, but he's never had issues anywhere he's been

Charley Pell*****

Mar 18, 2019, 5:24 PM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The greatest worst hire we ever made. A Lyin' cheater,

Mar 18, 2019, 5:28 PM

but we wouldn't have had Danny or our first championship without him.

Re: The greatest worst hire we ever made. A Lyin' cheater,

Mar 18, 2019, 6:08 PM

From all that I have read Charlie Pell was really a great guy too. In his day everybody was cheating and spreading the money around. Oklahoma actually bought Marcus Camby’s mom a new home when Swizter was the HC. I think he was trying to compete on a more level playing field. I know coaching was his life. When he was fired a Florida he really changed his life in a very negative way. He also did a lot for Clemson Football but IMO so did Red Parker.

As for Pell giving us DF. You can use that same argument for TB and Dabo. Although TB could not get us to the next level he was wise enough to bring Dabo to Clemson, then recommend him to serve as interim HC. TB could have stayed until seasons end but he left sooner because he knew it was best for Clemson. If TB had stayed until the end of the season I doubt Dabo every gets a shot to become Clemson’s HC. Plus TB left our program with a solid foundation to build from.

I would like to see Coach B. get a chance to coach on a more level playing field where we have invested about the same amount of $$$ as those teams in the upper tier of the ACC. Then if Coach B is unsuccessful we can then go after a young guy with vision and energy to build Clemson BB. But many of the younger Clemson fans may not remember but we have trailed Duke, NC, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest and Maryland in developing our BB program even in the 70’s and 80’s. Basketball has never been a major priority to the administration or the BOT. However, we the fans can help change that if we really want change bad enough and with the same passion as football.

Coach B has also been the victim of just plain bad luck. For example that really bad call in the last seconds of the NC State game in the ACC Tournament cost Clemson the WIN. And I believe officials have cost Clemson at least 2 other wins this year maybe more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marcus Dupree***

Mar 18, 2019, 8:18 PM

Tates Locke comes to mind.

Mar 18, 2019, 5:43 PM

He would be a "show cause" waiting to happen in today's environment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tates Locke comes to mind.

Mar 18, 2019, 8:16 PM

Sorry didn't mean to pile on top of your reply.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious Question: Do some fans think Clemson has a problem

Mar 18, 2019, 8:10 PM

Obviously, you don't remember, Tates Locke.

Locke literally wrote the book on being a scumbag

Mar 18, 2019, 8:17 PM

Not really sure how much of it was true though, I get the feeling he embellished a lot to make himself seem more interesting than he really is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,675
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic