Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scholarships should end when players start getting paid
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,637

Scholarships should end when players start getting paid

Aug 3, 2020, 8:56 PM

and there should be a performance standard contract that each must sign. Their contract should also include monies to be garnished to support financially needy students - of all race/color/ethnicity at their school.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Scholarships should end when players start getting paid

Aug 3, 2020, 9:06 PM

Why would any of that be necessary when it's not the school paying for the players' likenesses?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2020, 9:18 PM

Because the player is:

1) using the likeness of the school. This is a mutual promotion of each other. Why should the athlete be allowed to make money but not the school? This goes to the school, btw, not the conference.

2) because the school has taken on a liability allowing the athlete to represent it in uniform.

like them or not, but this is just two reasons for a start.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

The school is excluded from NIL

Aug 3, 2020, 9:50 PM

The player can't appear in a school uniform, wear school gear, and the ads can't mention where he plays. Just a few players are going to get significant money.

Aug 4, 2020, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Scholarships should end when players start getting paid ]

That doesn't make any sense because the school is already making money off of the player likeness. The player being able to profit off his own likeness just balances it.

Aug 3, 2020, 10:25 PM

Careful what you ask for, you may get it. If the do get it, then the IRS should collect taxes on the total value of the money paid, schollies, imputed value of insurance, books, tutoring, special dietary provisions, and etc.

Unless there's some safe harbour,

Aug 3, 2020, 11:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that the grant-in-aid is taxable above the amounts used for tuition and books. Room & board, etc. are taxable. The law changed in 1987, but I don't think it's ever been enforced for athletic scholarships.

Make them meet academic standards of other students

Aug 3, 2020, 10:50 PM

Oh, these student athletes think college aren't giving them enough!?!?!
How many kids with the academic record of most college football players get accepted to a college/university? Do any non-football players with that academic record receive ANY scholarship?

What is that worth? What would you pay for your child to get accepted to those schools? Ask some Hollywood stars Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin. Loughlin reportedly paid $500,000.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm pretty sure only half our players would get paid.

Aug 4, 2020, 9:49 AM

And only half of them would get paid more than the value of a scholarship. And at other schools like Wake Forest, for example, would anyone get paid? If they couldn't hand out 'ships their team would dissolve.

It will be a very tricky bridge to cross when we get there. No doubt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 10:38 AM

You know that Clemson does waive tuition and fees AND provide stipends/wages to enrolled students NOT evolved in athletics. Heck, even athletic coaches can/would get an salary plus tuition costs (popular among those new to coaching).

I don't see how paying athletes a share of revenue on top of tuition "waivers/scholarships" is any different.

I got paid 18,800 plus a tuition waiver (big since I was out of state) as part of my PhD funding. Had to do 20 hours a week in the research office. I could also go out and depending on the situation/structure apply for further grants on top of my financial package. My brother had his masters paid by his school when we has an assistant coach and still received a 9 month contract + camps in the summer.

So why not both? Why must athletes have either/or rather than both

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,637
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic