Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sapakoff column:Clemson's Top 10 RB's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,983

Sapakoff column:Clemson's Top 10 RB's

Jul 21, 2018, 5:26 PM

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/top-clemson-running-backs-c-j-spiller-wayne-gallman-lead/article_5e82a212-83a7-11e8-867f-3384925073e4.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way Allen is behind Zachery

Jul 21, 2018, 7:01 PM

think if the one's left off: Flowers, Flagler, Driver, Lester Brown, Austin, McSwain. Where does Etienne wind up?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh wow, I was writing my top 13 before I saw this

Jul 21, 2018, 7:13 PM

post of yours. Yes, definitely I left of Chuck McSwain and Lester Brown and both should be on there. I had Austin on mine and debated putting Stacy Driver. I think Etienne will end up very high on the list after he leaves.

My top-13

Jul 21, 2018, 7:06 PM

1. CJ Spiller
2. Wayne Gallman
3. Raymond Priester
4. James Davis
5. Andre Ellington
6. Terry Allen
7. Kenny Flowers
8. Ronald Watson
9. Terrance Flagler
10 Cliff Austin
11. Marvin Simms
12. Kevin Mack
13. Jeff McCall

Met Priester at an IPTAY gathering in Buckhead in the mid 2000's. He was there simply as a supporter.He was awesome to talk to and was simply a big fan and contributor to the program.

oops, should have put Travis Zachery at #14***

Jul 21, 2018, 7:07 PM

Mr Priester got his yards the hard way, most were not

Jul 21, 2018, 7:35 PM [ in reply to My top-13 ]

long breakaways. He was a load, worked hard for what he got.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ronald Williams?***

Jul 21, 2018, 9:04 PM [ in reply to My top-13 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, Ronald Williams. Sorry about that. Ronald Watson was

Jul 21, 2018, 11:14 PM

a complete monster of a linebacker in the early 80's when I ws in school. I think he only played one year or so, but he was a specimen. Not sure why I put his last name instead of Williams.

I saw that this morning. My first thought was that Gallman is too

Jul 21, 2018, 7:27 PM

high at #2, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

My Top 10

Jul 21, 2018, 8:55 PM

1. Spiller
2. Terry Allen - watch the film
3. Raymond Priester - a bull
4. James Davis
5. Terrence Flagler - could run and catch
6. Kenny Flowers -speed merchant
7. Kevin Mack - stud
8. Cliff Austin - smooth, could cut on a dime
9. Buddy Gore - Coach Howard's best
10. Lester Brown - Love it when he "Rubber Ducked Notre Dame in the Valley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Top 10

Jul 21, 2018, 9:21 PM

You youngsters either don’t know or tend to forget some of the old timers who were great running backs. Fred Cone was a fullback in the single wing days. He was strong as an ox and just bowled over the defense. A thing of beauty. Sort of surprised that Banks McFadden was left off. He was All American in both football and basketball. He played single wing tailback. We have had an amazing long history of really good runners.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My wTop 10

Jul 21, 2018, 10:05 PM [ in reply to My Top 10 ]

Finally a Gore sighting! He or Yauger need props for the late 60's! ??
These two guys probably got me interested in Clemson as child.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting, great college players & based upon pro careers

Jul 22, 2018, 2:30 PM [ in reply to My Top 10 ]

Terry Allen and Kevin Mack had the most talent of all the Clemson RB's. No telling what type of career TA might have had without the solid but medically primitive ACL surgeries he had back in the 1980's. Mack had the talent but different appetites and priorities.

Re: Sapakoff column:Clemson's Top 10 RB's

Jul 21, 2018, 9:26 PM

Lost in all of this and definitely not a stats monster, but Tracy Johnson played fullback with Terry Allen and was also terrific. I know he entered his last regular season game never having lost a yard. Not sure how he ended up on that, but he helped make those Clemson teams special.

Jul 21, 2018, 9:48 PM

Spankinoff is NOT QUALIFIED to register an opinion on the top 10 Clemson anything. I go back much farther than him and have following Clemson much closer than him. I am not qualified to answer that question, he is far less qualified.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2018, 8:50 AM

Spiller
Allen
Gallman

Sapakoff’s #8 should be #1 ...

Jul 22, 2018, 9:11 AM

Terry Allen was the best RB we ever had.

CJ Spiller was the best “All-Purpose” back.

They were both great players for Clemson, but CJ was far from the best RB ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terry Allen at #8?!? I would put him at #1.

Jul 22, 2018, 10:09 AM

Spiller was an incredible athlete, perhaps the best we’ve ever had in terms of being an all-purpose player, but I don’t think he was as great as some of our others as a pure RB.

I would put Allen and Priester ahead of Spiller. I might also put Gallman and Ellington ahead of him too.

Ronald Williams doesn’t have the stats or longevity, but I remember him being an amazing runner. Flagler and Flowers were too, although they didn’t get as many attempts as many of our other RBs due to splitting time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Jul 22, 2018, 10:55 AM

This alone is why he was the best RB and arguably the best football player in our program's history. He is absolutely the fastest football player or athlete I have ever witnessed...

https://youtu.be/rFIT-3gcAR8

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Terry Allen is still the best pure RB I've ever seen with a

Jul 22, 2018, 12:25 PM

tiger paw on the helmet. Yeah, CJ was very dangerous when he got the ball in space, toss him that little swing pass and see if he can make a couple playstation moves and take it to the house. But taking a handoff behind the LOS, he might dance around a little too much and get nailed for a 2 yard loss. I was never confident he could make the 1st down on 3rd and 4....

Late in the game with a lead, desperately needing 4 yards for a 1st down to ice the game and run out the clock, the feeling was "we got this"... just give it to Terry Allen. If nothing else, he'll drive into the line and push the pile and fall forward for a 5 yd gain.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,983
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic