Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC in BCeSpn Top 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

SEC in BCeSpn Top 10

Nov 4, 2012, 10:25 PM

1 Alabama 9-0, best win #7 LSU.
5 UGA 8-1, best win #6 Florida; Loss to #8 uSC
6 Florida 8-1, best win #7 LSU; Loss to #5 UGA
7 LSU 7-2, best win # #8 uSC; Losses to #1 Alabama, #6 Florida
8 uSC 7-2, best win ##5 UGA; losses to #7 LSU,

SEC Circular Logic. All of these teams are automatically awesome because they're in the SEC, so when a team in the SEC loses to another team in the SEC, it doesn't really count.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC in BCeSpn Top 10

Nov 4, 2012, 10:27 PM

Who would be your top ten with their best win listed?

Well, for one, using "best win" of the BCS poll is skewed..

Nov 4, 2012, 10:42 PM

by the poll itself. That's half the point.

My top 15, just based on my opinion:

1 ALABAMA
2 OREGON
3 NOTRE DAME
4 KANSAS STATE
5 OKLAHOMA
6 OHIO STATE
7 FLORIDA STATE
8 CLEMSON
9 UGA
10 TEXAS A&M
11 NEBRASKA
12 FLORIDA
13 LSU
14 OREGON STATE
15 SOUTH CAROLINA

Subject to Change without notice.

You lost a major chunk of credibility putting Notre Dame

Nov 5, 2012, 12:05 AM

above Kansas St.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Well I think that's a bit of an exaggeration to say I've

Nov 5, 2012, 7:49 AM

lost a "major chunk of credibility" because of where I have Notre Dame ranked. Personally I think Notre Dame could beat KSU most of the time, but then again your opinion of my opinion doesn't really matter in regards to the subject post and losing credibility.

It should be noted again, MY OPINION rankings are subject to change at any minute and they do include at least a slight level of personal bias.

Re: Well, for one, using "best win" of the BCS poll is skewed..

Nov 5, 2012, 12:39 AM [ in reply to Well, for one, using "best win" of the BCS poll is skewed.. ]

How are you ripping the SEC for having circular logic and having a bunch of teams in the top ten then ranking:

OU 5th for losing the only two games they played to tough teams and have no wins over other top 15 teams on your list

Ohio State 6th for having one win over a Nebraska team and otherwise not a single other win you seem to care about.

You give Clemson 8th with their best win being over probably Virginia Tech and a loss in their only tough game.

Then you amazingly rank Nebraska 11th with two losses to UCLA and Ohio State which apparently is ok but LSU losing to Alabama and Florida apparently isn't?

LSU lost in the Swamp in their one tough road game by 8.

Nebraska lost by 25 at Ohio State.

Florida you deem worse than Nebraska because they lost to what you call a top ten team and beat two teams you consider top 15.

It seems like more than anything else you have an agenda against the SEC. Maybe it's SEC fatigue as they call it but it seems you rip SEC teams for losses to each other then reward other league's teams for losses to teams you clearly think our inferior to the SEC.

Makes no sense.

1) You'd be silly to deny the "circular logic" analogy as

Nov 5, 2012, 7:44 AM

it applies to the SEC. Most everyone else sees it just fine.

2) You're trying to apply circular logic to critique MY OPINION rankings. That's funny.

3) Whether or not you agree with MY OPINION rankings is completely unrelated to the SEC circular logic argument. You spent entirely too much time trying to deny MY OPINION without truly addressing the original post. Whether or not you agree with MY OPINION means nothing.

4) Are you a #### fan?

Re: 1) You'd be silly to deny the "circular logic" analogy as

Nov 5, 2012, 6:37 PM

I'm simply trying to make sense of your rankings which have no logic to them.

SEC teams are bad for losing to teams you call top 15 but teams like Ohio State, Nebraska and Oklahoma are higher than some because they beat a bunch of bad teams?

The initial point loses any merit because it's a near unanimous opinion that all the SEC's teams listed in the top 15 are indeed top 15 teams. Thus beating each other shows they're all equally capable of playing with top 15 teams.

When someone comes out with a top 15 they'll stand behind that doesn't rank those teams, then it carries merit.

But yes, if you're of the opinion that all of those SEC teams are top 15 teams (which you appear to be by your own rankings) then beating each other would prove they are all indeed top 15 teams, no?

Or else why wouldn't a couple lose to all of them?

Am I a Gamecock fan? No, I just know the SEC is the best conference in America and their teams are worthy of their rankings just about every year.

Re: 2) If ESecPN put as much money and hype in Conference

Nov 5, 2012, 6:42 PM

USA, they would be on top!!

Re: 2) If ESecPN put as much money and hype in Conference

Nov 5, 2012, 6:43 PM

Conf USA may even win 6 NCs in a row someday

Re: 3) My point exactly

Nov 5, 2012, 8:31 PM

I smell chicken!!!

What are you not understanding?

Nov 5, 2012, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Re: 1) You'd be silly to deny the "circular logic" analogy as ]

Who cares about my opinion rankings? They are completely irrelevant to the point.

The BCS is top heavy with SEC teams. There is no reason that a 2 loss team should be in the top 10 simply because those two losses are to other SEC teams. There's no basis for that. That is the point, and other than you everyone else seems to wholeheartedly agree.

To deny that the BCS poll is influenced by ESPN etc. would be naive. And your entire argument for not only the SEC but for teams not in the SEC is based on circular logic, so obviously you fail to see the point.

Do you ever watch football? Is UGA appropriately ranked? Why is uSC ranked so high in the BCS? What have they done to merit being in the top 10? Beat UGA? That's a perfect case of circular logic.

All you need to know about the BCS is that UF is #4

Nov 4, 2012, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC in BCeSpn Top 10 ]

in the computers.

They are no where near that in the human polls. They don't pass the eye test. Neither does SCAR, also not nearly as high in the human polls as the computers.

UF should have lost to Bowling Green in the first game, it was painful to watch their offense. It didn't look any better this week against a poor Missouri team.

The problem with the SEC is that there are two really good teams, Bama and LSU. About five good teams, A&M, UF, UGA, SCAR, Miss St, and seven below average to bad teams, UK, Vandy, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Auburn, Missouri, and Arkansas.

Add to the fact UGA only played two of the top seven teams listed above, lost one won one, SCAR played three, won one, lost two, and UF played three, won two (both at home), lost one. Too many poor teams, and with 14 teams in the league a watered down rotation through the league gives the impression the five good teams are much better than they are.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent analysis.***

Nov 4, 2012, 11:06 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yep. have to agree wholeheartedly. Good explanation. +1.***

Nov 4, 2012, 11:53 PM [ in reply to All you need to know about the BCS is that UF is #4 ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All you need to know about the BCS is that UF is #4

Nov 5, 2012, 12:32 AM [ in reply to All you need to know about the BCS is that UF is #4 ]

So who passes the eye test if wins over LSU and South Carolina don't do it?

Nov 5, 2012, 8:54 AM [ in reply to All you need to know about the BCS is that UF is #4 ]

So true

Nov 5, 2012, 9:16 PM [ in reply to All you need to know about the BCS is that UF is #4 ]

I think LSU is down there with the five good teams. Their offense is pretty bad.

My problem isn't the teams they beat

Nov 4, 2012, 10:42 PM

It's the teams they have failed to beat. None of those teams have gone on the road and won an elite game. Best wins are both @a&m. After that the next best road win is a 5 loss team. Clemson and FSU have better wins with 4 loss wake and duke.

null

We're hanging our hat on Wake and Duke?

Nov 4, 2012, 11:07 PM

I can't agree that our schedule or our wins are any better than a SEC team. In fact, I think most would agree that our poor SOS may hurt us. That being said, a big win over the lamecocks will help, but then mus of us think they suck. So how much can it really help?

Re: We're hanging our hat on Wake and Duke?

Nov 4, 2012, 11:20 PM

And an out of conference game against Auburn, but wait I guess we were supposed to know they would suck back when we scheduled it.

You play who is in your conference, all we can do is beat who we are given.

Re: We're hanging our hat on Wake and Duke?

Nov 5, 2012, 9:24 PM [ in reply to We're hanging our hat on Wake and Duke? ]

Why is it that when Wake and Duke win a few games it means our conference sucks but when Vandy starts to win a few it means the SEC is getting stronger? Wake and Duke are not that great but they are getting better. As for SOS, that is a big myth when teams start out ranked high and play others that have a high ranking and if they lose they do not drop but 2 or 3 spots even though they have not looked impressive against some other bad teams. Most teams drop for squeezing out a win against a 1 win team but a SEC team will gain a spot. So what I am saying is all the crap they use can be manipulated to make teams look better than they really are

Re: My problem isn't the teams they beat

Nov 5, 2012, 7:50 AM [ in reply to My problem isn't the teams they beat ]

My problem is when they lose they don't drop very many spots. This is why so many are in the top 10. If we played #3 right now and lost we would drop out of the top twenty and maybe the top 25 all together. That is where the bias comes in.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely.

Nov 4, 2012, 10:59 PM

The media machine pimps their product relentlessly, which influences poll voters, resulting in 5 SEC teams in pre-season top 10, which insures season-long SOS advantage for SEC teams, which automatically, from the start, minimizes the effect of losses and maximizes the effect of wins in the rankings, particularly computer rankings, which helps keep them in the top 10 of the BCS as their season consists primarily of playing each other.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

And they play nobody out of conference so it just becomes

Nov 4, 2012, 11:13 PM

this self-fulfilling prophecy.

UF hasn't left the state of FL for an OOC game in like 20 years.

Just because I was curious, here are LSU, USuCk, UGAy, and

Nov 4, 2012, 11:37 PM

UF's OOC schedules this year:

LSU: North Texas, Washington, Idaho, Towson

USuCk: ECU, UAB, Wofford, Clemson

UGAY: Buffalo, Fl Atlantic, GA Southern, GT

UF: Bowling Green, LA-Lafayette, Jacksonville St, FSU

Excluding annual rivalry games, the best team those 4 play OOC BY FAR is Washington.

thought you were full of it, but

Nov 5, 2012, 12:22 AM [ in reply to And they play nobody out of conference so it just becomes ]

The last OOC game for UF that wasn't in the state of Florida was in 1991. A loss to Syracuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"they play nobody out of conference" ...so CU and FSU

Nov 5, 2012, 9:46 AM [ in reply to And they play nobody out of conference so it just becomes ]

are nobodies? Just let the entire season play out. Clemson will play coots and then probably another SEC team UF/UGA in Sugar or Miss St/Texas A&M in CFA, then the rankings will either be proven correct or CU will earn a much higher ranking.

It just seems to me that having so many SEC teams ranked highly is HELPING CLEMSON! Only two SEC teams get BCS bids leaving the door open for lower ranked teams to by-pass teams and secure at large BCS bowls.

Nov 5, 2012, 12:49 AM

In other breaking news, South Carolina is the first state to succed from the union. ;) TU! Totall agree buddy. I wonder if commercial time is more expensive for a top 10 match-up as opposed to a game where the teams are say, top 25? If so, why not keep the teams in the conference that you have your TV Contract with (ESPN/SEC) as 5 of the top 10 teams? If nothing else it gives them, "marquis" games so their commercials sound good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2012, 7:58 AM

They're even biased against their own IMO. TAM is new to the SEC, and is being ignored with 2 losses to #6 UF and #7 LSU in close games that could have gone either way. They also beat the chit out of Arky, MSU, and AU while others aren't really doing that. TAM is not getting SEC respect yet.

Whoa buddy - when TAM beats Bama like a stepchild this week, all he!! is gonna break loose. The SEC wizards are going to jump off of their bridges. Just wait.

FSU and Clemson need to crash the lovefest, but do it on

Nov 5, 2012, 9:25 AM

the field or this will continue...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic