»
Topic: Rope -a-dope
Replies: 0  
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic

Rope -a-dope

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 2:48 PM

It's easy to say this now, but this did run through my mind last week. Monday night, I watched it unfold again 44 years later.

Some of you young'uns may not remember but heavyweight boxing used to be the biggest sport in the world. This refers to one of the all-time classics, the Rumble In The Jungle with the unbeatable champion, George Foreman facing underdog Muhammad Ali. 4 to 1 underdog.

Foreman had taken the title from Joe Frazier and was a huge man with a bad attitude and a 40-0 record. What happened was legendary.

Ali introduced a technique he called "rope-a-dope" that allowed him to survive Foreman's onslaught until Big George had worn himself out. Ali then used precision strikes to take the bigger man apart. Ali won by knockout in the 8th round (roughly equivalent to the end of the 3rd quarter).

Here's what Wickipedia has to say about the rope-a-dope:

"In many competitive situations, rope-a-dope is used to describe strategies in which one contender lets their opponent fatigue themself by drawing non-injuring offensive actions. This then gives the contender an advantage towards the end of the competition or before, as the opponent becomes tired, allowing the contender to execute devastating offensive maneuvers and thereby win."

Just my observation. Of course, during the game I thought it might be playing out more like Ali-Spinks ll.

[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
410 people have read this post