Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rodriguez blames politics for his lack of playing time?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Rodriguez blames politics for his lack of playing time?

Dec 23, 2014, 9:27 AM

Wow, and we thought it was just a great story that we gave him a shot to walk on and contribute on special teams and get some mop-up duty.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, this was in the P&C - Aaron Brenner today

Dec 23, 2014, 9:28 AM

Don't have the link.

Yeah, bc it has nothing to do with him being

Dec 23, 2014, 9:31 AM

5'7" and playing at WR U. I hope hes not really that full of himself.

he has become just that!! full of himself! My wife has NEVER

Dec 23, 2014, 10:14 AM

tried to get any players autograph ever but she loves the military men and Clemson University so she bought a copy of Risen and went to the stadium to get DR to sign it as they got on the bus to go to the hotel one Friday afternoon. She said that she thanked him for his service and would he sign the book. She said that he never said a word! He did not say hello, thank you or anything!! Signed and walked off. She said that she was utterly shocked at his rude behavior and wished she had never bought his book or felt such a bond with such a jerk, She was very very disappointed in Daniel Rodriguez!!

Re: he has become just that!! full of himself! My wife has NEVER

Dec 23, 2014, 12:03 PM

Maybe he was having a bad day. Who knows? I've met him on a couple of occasions and he couldn't have been more humble and polite.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Daniel has had a great career at Clemson.

Dec 23, 2014, 9:32 AM

He realized his dream, contributed to the team and has an education. His future is very bright. We don't need to go there regarding any speculation about politics or this and that should have happened.
He has been an inspiration to many and we should leave it at that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We" didn't go there. He did.***

Dec 23, 2014, 9:35 AM

Re: "We" didn't go there. He did.***

Dec 23, 2014, 9:40 AM

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141222/PC20/141229805/1032/clemsons-daniel-rodriguez-will-play-medal-of-honor-bowl-wants-an-nfl-look

Thanks for the link.***

Dec 23, 2014, 9:44 AM

I think to much is being read into his comments.***

Dec 23, 2014, 9:46 AM [ in reply to "We" didn't go there. He did.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do too! I don't want players on the team that don't think

Dec 23, 2014, 11:08 AM

they are good enough to play. I always thought I was better than the guys playing in front of me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rodriguez blames politics for his lack of playing time?

Dec 23, 2014, 9:40 AM

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141222/PC20/141229805

Thanks for the link.***

Dec 23, 2014, 9:45 AM

Here is the quote:

Dec 23, 2014, 9:41 AM

"It was kind of unfortunate. I wanted to get more playing time at Clemson. I felt that I was good enough to play. But I wasn't on scholarship. The reality is they're going to play the people they're invest in. In the NFL, they're going to play the best. It's not as political as it is in college."

Yeah, that was shocking to say the least. Not a good way to ingratiate yourself to Clemson fans and coaches.

He seems ungrateful for what he has been given.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's hard to play much with Nuke or Sammy on the field.***

Dec 23, 2014, 9:45 AM

Or Scott, or Williams, or Peake, or Kitt, or Humphries, etc.

Dec 23, 2014, 9:47 AM

I mean, he plays the position at which we have been the most loaded over the past few years.

He's trying to give a reason to the NFL scouts why they

Dec 23, 2014, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Here is the quote: ]

should give him a shot.

We all know, the scouts know,and he knows that he wasn't better than the recievers that played in front of him.

But he wants a shot at the NFL and had to say that. I bet he will regret it later.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Here is the quote:

Dec 23, 2014, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Here is the quote: ]

He wasn't given anything. A trip to Iraq and Afghanistan is surely not on your next vacation list, is it? GI Bill and Post 9/11 paid his education at Clemson.

He most certainly was given an opportunity to play football

Dec 23, 2014, 9:58 AM

at Clemson. While I appreciate his service to this country, he should also appreciate that he was given an opportunity to play football at Clemson and get into games much more than the normal walk-on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2014, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Here is the quote: ]

Politics is why he got playing time

Dec 23, 2014, 10:37 AM

BINGO!

Exactly right

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I really don't see that as a horrible quote....

Dec 23, 2014, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Here is the quote: ]

What is bad about being confident, about thinking if you had played more you would have delivered results? I think DR has carried himself extremely well, and from his own words, I believe that he is thankful both for his education and for the opportunity to play football at Clemson.

Re: Makes sense to me. We have some petty fans.***

Dec 23, 2014, 10:35 AM

Just don't impugn the character of someone else to elevate

Dec 23, 2014, 10:36 AM [ in reply to I really don't see that as a horrible quote.... ]

yourself. That's the part of what he said that you didn't address. Nobody is criticizing him for having confidence in himself.

Dec 23, 2014, 9:49 AM

He is right....he should of played more over:

Sammy Watkins - NFL
Nuk Hopkins - NFL
Martavis Bryant - NFL
Mike Williams - future NFL
Artavis Scott - future NFL

Only guys he could of took time from is Humphries or Hopper.

There is a reason they are on scholarship, they are talented at a level that can play in the NFL. Hell, Grisham played in the NFL.

Rodriguez is talented and gifted but not at the level that those NFL guys are.

Listen, thumbs down, flame away, do whatever you want

Dec 23, 2014, 9:50 AM

But a guy I work with's wife who is retired navy and is in real close with the Fry family who also has some members of the family that are retied Navy. Anyway, Dustin got them a chance to attend a practice last year.

Long story short, Rodriguez is the biggest @ss on the team. Don't get me wrong, War hero, I love what he did for his country, he has seen things that some of us could never imagine, but you would think that would make a guy kind of humble. In his case, not so much.

You keep saying this. Can you give some examples for

Dec 23, 2014, 10:31 AM

your opinion?

Dude, look all over the bored... People are giving examples

Dec 23, 2014, 11:37 AM

of meeting him in person or seeing him on campus. Dude is a total dbag.

If he thinks the NFL isn't political, he is very naive

Dec 23, 2014, 9:52 AM

The higher draft picks always get more opportunities to play because the teams have spent so much more money on them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he thinks the NFL isn't political, he is very naive

Dec 23, 2014, 9:55 AM

I agree. They throw the un drafted guys to the sharks on scout teams. Only if you survive and 4 other guys go down with injuries do you make the cut.

I thought DR would have been an awesome GA working with strength and conditioning. Maybe the book and movie thing went to his head.

Dec 23, 2014, 9:57 AM [ in reply to If he thinks the NFL isn't political, he is very naive ]

It never fails....never...ever. No one can do anything well, contribute positively in any fashion, achieve when the odds are stacked...and be appreciated for it. Further, they can not have ambition. At least they can't have all of the above in the public domain. What they can count on...without fail, is the opportunity for someone to come along and cast all they've ever done in a negative light. Why is that? There's nothing like the unrelenting pursuit to prove yet another person walks this planet and, oh my, isn't perfect...is flawed...and that should be the take away.

Freakin' sad...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2014, 10:03 AM

That was beautiful! Was that James Joyce?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

yeah the NFL isn't political AT ALL........lol***

Dec 23, 2014, 9:53 AM

You guys can't get worked up over this all you want.

Dec 23, 2014, 10:06 AM

My assessment is that it was a clumsy attempt to get a look from the NFL. It seems absurd to us, given the unbelievable talent he has played alongside (good Lord, they are ALL in the NFL and prospering!), that the 5'8" 26 year old veteran was denied additional playing time for any reason other than putting Clemson in the best position to win. But if he believes it, more power to him. I am glad he has been part of the Clemson story and I hope that his teammates have benefited from his unique perspective while he was here.

null

Give Daniel a break, he has worked so hard to get where

Dec 23, 2014, 10:15 AM

he is - and believing in himself as helped him get this far. I hope we blow Oklahoma away and Daniel gets to show out in the 4th quarter. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Blame the Medal of Honor Bowl - desperate for publicity

Dec 23, 2014, 10:29 AM

they are the lowest of these bowls and hungry to get attention and players.

Dec 23, 2014, 10:34 AM

> Wow, and we thought it was just a great story that we
> gave him a shot to walk on and contribute on special
> teams and get some mop-up duty.

"all in!"

Dec 23, 2014, 11:59 AM

My take on this is that he's an arrogant prick that is looking to monetize his military service. While there's certainly nothing that says you can't do this, it's one of those unwritten rules about being in the military. I've never been in, but anyone I know who has doesn't come back looking to brag about it. This guy self-promoted himself and leaned heavily on his heroic actions to get a spot on a college team. He was given an opportunity to play for a major D-1 program because Dabo liked his story, but his contribution to the team could've been equaled by just about any athletic guy on campus. And all the publicity he's gotten and future earning he'll see from the movie and book are due to the fact that Dabo absolutely handed him a platform where his story could be seen by tons of people who never would've heard of him otherwise. And instead of being happy that he got to be on the field for games, wear a uniform, run down the hill, and score a touchdown in Memorial Stadium (something I'd guess 100% of this forum would kill for), he complains that politics, not talent kept him off the field and subsequently from getting any attention from the NFL. And his remark that the NFL is far less political shows a comical level of naivety. Every year there are dozens of undrafted gems that slip through the training camp cracks because teams drafted and paid 1st and 2nd round draft picks and have to commit to those guys despite what offseason production is suggesting.

You know, I wanted to like this kid. I'll admit that I got kind of sick of the story since everyone calling a Clemson game on TV acted like the people watching just crawled out of a cave, but I thought it was inspirational, and I was glad some guy got to live out a very unlikely dream. I graduated in 2010, so I was never at Clemson while he was and have been reserving judgement on the guy since I haven't been present for his Clemson tenure. But after three years, I have yet to encounter anybody that has interacted with him either personally or from a distance that has something positive to say. There's plenty of people like me, on the outside looking in, that praise him and his story, but everybody on the inside says he's a dbag. After this whiny interview, I may have to side with those people.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic