Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rick Neuheisel nailed it on Sirius/XM
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Rick Neuheisel nailed it on Sirius/XM

Oct 8, 2012, 1:50 PM

He was talking about how the SEC artificially inflates their numbers by never scheduling out of conference early in the season (save a few teams). So if you get the media putting a bunch of your teams high in the preseason, then you don't play anyone tough to lose before the conference games start, you're always going to have highly ranked teams playing. That gives the additional boost in power that other conferences don't have. Anyone that really thought UGA was the number 5 team in the country doesn't watch the games. Ultimately, it buys the teams in the league the first spot in line for one loss teams. Luckily, they stepped out of bounds last year with the rematch game, and it rocked the boat too much.

It was great to hear someone say this on a national level. I said it on here yesterday. I knew UF never played anyone as I said yesterday, but they actually looked it up and UF has not left the state of Florida for a non-conference game since 1991...21 years! Outside of BCS games, I doubt they've left the state to play a bowl game ever. Maybe Spurrier figured it out at UF (1991), and that's why usc never plays anyone out of conference either.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's true

Oct 8, 2012, 1:51 PM

look at Mississippi State's out of conference schedule. It's pretty embarrassing. Keeps them in top 25.

Exactly if you look at SC who have they scheduled

Oct 8, 2012, 1:52 PM

other than Clemson? ECU? UAB? Hey SC fans, please tell me when the last time you played a good team out of conference? Clemson doesn't count as that is a rival game. Georgia finally did last year and got drilled by Boise.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU is a fine example of that. Did not leave Florida

Oct 8, 2012, 2:11 PM

until this week. and we know how over rated they are

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Re: FSU is a fine example of that. Did not leave Florida

Oct 8, 2012, 4:56 PM

Ahhh but FSU had WVU scheduled this year and WVU backed out this Spring.

Neuheisel only stating what folks have known for a long time

Oct 8, 2012, 5:14 PM

The SEC has played fewer BCS games than any other BCS conference. Their OOC schedule is comprised overwhelmingly of Sun Belt, MAC, and CUSA teams.

BTW, in the last seven years, the SEC has a losing record against the Big East and Mountain West conferences.

Re: FSU is a fine example of that. Did not leave Florida

Oct 8, 2012, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU is a fine example of that. Did not leave Florida ]

I am actually quite annoyed at this... I think WVU v FSU would have been a great game to have tape of before we showed up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By what logic does a rival game not count??? SC plays......

Oct 8, 2012, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Exactly if you look at SC who have they scheduled ]

an SEC schedule and Clemson and that's plenty tough enough. I'm glad we have added an additional legitimate OOC game, but given we are in the ACC we need to. SC's schedule is never easier than ours and usually harder. Maybe not to the level they think, but not buying your argument.

Re: By what logic does a rival game not count??? SC plays......

Oct 8, 2012, 3:35 PM

Don't buy into the sec schedule crap for USC. The east has been bad the past 2 years and they didn't play LSU or Bama last year. The east does look better this year.

Re: Exactly if you look at SC who have they scheduled

Oct 8, 2012, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Exactly if you look at SC who have they scheduled ]

Beat the crap out of you guys and Nebraska last year.

Ummm.....

Oct 8, 2012, 1:53 PM

"and that's why usc never plays anyone out of conference either."

Clemson?

I think having a permanent rival is different than going

Oct 8, 2012, 1:58 PM

and trying to schedule other teams, Take Clemson for instance, we play South Carolina every year, but have schedule Auburn the last 3 years, UGA in the next 2, we had Miss St (or ole miss, i dont remember which) but canceled becaue of the 9 game conference schedule which has been turned back now, And then Ok State after them.

Re: I think having a permanent rival is different than going

Oct 8, 2012, 2:13 PM

This sort of goes against the point of the thread doesn't it?

You just listed 3 sec schools other than our permanant rival that put clemson on the schedule.

My point wasnt against the original thread

Oct 8, 2012, 4:23 PM

it was to the response

The point was "early in the season"

Oct 8, 2012, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Ummm..... ]

and everyone's noted that the FSU / GT / Clemson permanent rival games with their SEC counterparts isn't part of the equation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But if you were talking about Auburn

Oct 8, 2012, 3:02 PM

then never mind.... :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But if you were talking about Auburn

Oct 8, 2012, 3:37 PM

yeah, i was referring to auburn, uga, and ole miss.

UGA is set for early in the season, and I would assume that ole miss would have been as well since that's when clemson plays its non-usc out of conference opponents.

Re: Rick Neuheisel nailed it on Sirius/XM

Oct 8, 2012, 1:54 PM

sounds like he just memorized the guys article about the SEC being overrated. glad he chose to give it legs though cause it is so true

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they also refuse to play Thur nite trap games-Acc 4x Sec

Oct 8, 2012, 1:55 PM

games on thursday nite

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12900436

null

Those are always bad news

Oct 8, 2012, 2:07 PM

Pac 12 teams get burned all the time on those too. Any smart program or conference commissioner (whoever makes the call) will put the B teams out for those games if they care about preserving their contenders.

He's 100% correct. However...

Oct 8, 2012, 1:57 PM

you do have to give them credit for proving something on the field during bowl season. Not only are they consistently winning BCS games, but they also play the best bowl lineup of any conference, and they win more of those games than they lose.

Sehorn JUST said that about LSU on CFB Daily

Oct 8, 2012, 2:02 PM

Said NO WAY they should be in top 10 and that the SEC bias is ridiculous

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why don't other conferences do it?

Oct 8, 2012, 2:04 PM

Also, why don't teams from other conferences ever beat the SEC in big BCS games?

Re: Why don't other conferences do it?

Oct 8, 2012, 2:09 PM

You say clemson goes out and plays Auburn and Georgia??
These are the same teams South Car. plays every weekend.You just made the argument for them when they say they play a hard schedule!!

Yeah, Clemson replaces a UAB with a UGA on

Oct 8, 2012, 2:17 PM

their non-conference schedule. I'd like to see usc replace a Navy (who almost won, of course) with a VT, Pitt, Iowa, etc. Someone from another power conference more than one state away. Now, Clemson is guilty of never venturing outside the SEC for their big OOC games except TAMU a few years ago. I really wish we'd play a B1G team or PAC 12 team. It's suicide traveling between coasts and expecting your team to perform, but it's more interesting than hanging 80 on Bethune-Cookman. I will give it to UF, they pack that stadium and don't leave to watch 50 point beat downs. I'd rather watch the good games on TV.

Why is this discussion so difficult for you chickens???????

Oct 8, 2012, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Why don't other conferences do it? ]

Yes, on a regular basis, Clemson and many other teams go outside its conference to play a solid opponent---and that includes some good teams from the SEC, Big12, etc. Heck, other than the chicken's instate rival, BallSt is as good or better than any outside SEC team on usuck's schedule

But lets look at the SEC realistically 'cuz I get tired of this incessant crap:

'Bama, Florida and usuck are probably RIGHT NOW as good as there is in the SEC--they could compete successfully in any other conference but other than 'Bama I don't think would walk through undefeated. On the next level, there is UGa, LSU, MissSt, and maybe TAMU who are OK but definitely not going to walk through ANY other conference undefeated; at the bottom is Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Mizzou (and some of these teams are REALLY, REALLY bad)--there's not a remote possibility any of these teams would be very successful in another conference either

So, yes, the chickens do have to play some tough teams in the SEC, but not NEARLY as many as you delusional ### clowns want the world to believe and the addition of strong ooc games gives Clemson a good schedule nearly every year

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I ain't no stinkin chickens, and I still say SC's schedule..

Oct 8, 2012, 3:40 PM

is never easier than Clemson's. As for SEC - this year UGA, LSU, and Miss State are better than anyone we play in the ACC except for FSU. UGA and LSU are probably both better than Clemson who is second best team in ACC.

I do not agree with this b/c

Oct 8, 2012, 3:46 PM

LSU's offense has struggled and so has our defense. Their defense may be one of the strongest while the same can be said of our offense. I think Clemson vs. LSU right now would be a good matchup....depending on where they would play.

Miss St.?????

Oct 8, 2012, 4:37 PM [ in reply to I ain't no stinkin chickens, and I still say SC's schedule.. ]

Give me a break, you are drinking the SEC hype. Miss St. is a #### football team.

Re: Miss St.?????

Oct 8, 2012, 5:12 PM

I agree they are overranked, but how many ACC teams are better than Miss State? How many teams do we play that are better than Miss State? Now in our defense Auburn is normally better than them.

Re: Why is this discussion so difficult for you chickens???????

Oct 8, 2012, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Why is this discussion so difficult for you chickens??????? ]

What you fail to understand is other conferences outside the SEC have to schedule harder out of conferences games because their in conference games/schedule is just as weak, if not weaker. Our hardest game of the season will be an out of conf. game against S. Carolina.

Another case of pronoun reference confusion

Oct 8, 2012, 5:18 PM

"our", in the context used, would indicate you are a Clemson fan.

We are all aware thats not the situtation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's where some credit is due

Oct 8, 2012, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Why don't other conferences do it? ]

They have performed well in bowl games. However, there are so many underlying factors to non-consequential games. Team motivation, coaches rewarding seniors or preparing for next year, teams on vacation vs. there to accomplish something.

They always do show up whatever the reason. I don't want to hear the Utah beat down of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl given any of those excuses either. We won't need these debates once a four team playoff is in place (until the sec goes for getting three teams in, we already know two might as well be in the contract).

Interesting

Oct 8, 2012, 2:10 PM

nm

Re: Interesting

Oct 8, 2012, 2:15 PM

Kind of like putting FSU in the top ten every year!

This is similar to how Duke basketball never plays

Oct 8, 2012, 3:07 PM

a road non-conference game. They'll play a neutral site game at somewhere like Madison Square Garden, but not a true road game.

Syracuse does this as well....

Oct 8, 2012, 4:39 PM

They never leave the Carrier Dome, until conference play.

Actually, i think a few of the SEC West teams have tried

Oct 8, 2012, 3:16 PM

to play some bigger non-con games recently.

Bama - Neutral games with Michigan and Clemson, home and home with Penn St (who ended up sucking, but that's not really Bama's fault)

LSU - Neutrals vs Oregon and UNC, home and homes with WVU and VT, all recently. Pretty solid.

Auburn - 3 games with Clemson and home and homes with WVU, and GT.

It's really the east teams that never play anyone with a pulse OOC. Florida has been doing that for 20+ years, USC never plays anyone besides us, and i don't recall UT playing anyone either. NCST this year doesn't really count.

I guess UGA schedules some decent games from time to time. A couple of series with us, and they did play Boise last year, though that was really a home game for them in the GA Dome.

USuC recently did a home and home with NCState***

Oct 8, 2012, 10:45 PM

I heard it too.

Oct 8, 2012, 3:28 PM

I've never been able to put my finger on it, but he nailed it. He actually said "rigged!" And he is right on!

I think Neuheisel's best point was the preseason...

Oct 8, 2012, 3:34 PM

rankings argument. So many are ranked that it does not hurt as much when they lose to each other. However, they have earned some of that ranking. By the way what started his whole argument was when Jack said the speculation is that when the first BCS rankings come out SC will be second instead of Oregon because of strength of schedule. I don't know if that is this week or after this coming weekend.

Geaux Tigers.***

Oct 8, 2012, 3:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Geaux Tigers.***

Oct 8, 2012, 4:02 PM

South Carolina Played at NC State and UNC and had UNC scheduled twice more and they backed out.

Re: Geaux Tigers.***

Oct 8, 2012, 4:21 PM

I think I remember that suc was supposed to play unc this year but they backed out. I just looked up their schedule for next year and it has unc, sc state, us and ucf listed as their ooc games.

Oct 8, 2012, 4:32 PM

you are right, the ACC is better than the SEC

Neuheisel is talking out of his posterior.

Oct 8, 2012, 5:06 PM

Rick Neuheisel's statement was foolish and doesn't hold water. The OP should have done some research before typing. However, if believing what you've typed makes you feel better then just ignore what I'm about to type.

Just in the past few years:

Bama has played Virginia Tech, Penn State, Michigan and another game that shall not be mentioned.

LSU played Washington this year, both Oregon and West Virginia (away) in 2011 and destroyed them, UNC and West Virginia both in 2010, played a game at Washington in 2009.

Georgia has played Boise State, Oklahoma State and Colorado in the last 3 years.

Tennessee has played NC State, Oregon, UCLA and Cincinatti over the past four years.

Ole Miss played Texas this year and BYU last year.

Arky played Texas and Texas A&M before A&M joined the SEC.

SCAR has played NC State in a home/away series and UNC in a home/away but UNC backed out of the game scheduled at SCAR.

I know it's fun to hate on the SEC and try and find some reason why the conference is so good (other than actually being good), but this argument by Neuheisel is lame.

Miss State is the biggest offender***

Oct 8, 2012, 10:23 PM

Re: Neuheisel is talking out of his posterior.

Oct 9, 2012, 1:30 AM [ in reply to Neuheisel is talking out of his posterior. ]

LSU/Alabama are 70% of the reason SEC is considered dominant. ( Cam Newton/Florida are the the rest)No one is denying those teams are awesome.

The the rest of the conference generally had their seasons trashed by those early games.

Georgia lost all three of those games before building their ranking back in conference.

Tenn did terrible in those games(Lost to Neuheisel twice) including losing their 18 ranking in 09.

Ole Miss isn't ranked after getting spanked by Texas.

Texas crushed Arkansas.

Not much SC can do about UNC dodging them. But it is interesting to point out they lost to the ACC runnerup (Atlantic Champion) the year they won the east. So their ranking was built entirely on their SEC schedule, since Clemson was 6-7 that year.

LSU

Oct 8, 2012, 5:13 PM

Baton Rouge should be agood one this weekend.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its actually the opposite

Oct 8, 2012, 5:19 PM

late season losses hurt more so you should line up tough games early.

Oct 8, 2012, 5:28 PM

SCU UF and UGa all schedule pansies like Wofford the week prior to their in state ACC rivalry games, that tells the whole story right there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we're finally doing the same next year

Oct 8, 2012, 10:48 PM

Tired of giving them an advantage. If the ACC wants to boost it's image it would take a page from the SEC. Look at Auburn's schedule this year. All cupcakes or open dates before their tough games. Too bad AU sucks so much a$$ that even the cupcakes can beat them. I think LSU kind of has the same situation.

Dabo will expose the old ball sack

Oct 8, 2012, 10:46 PM

As the loser he is and those thugs from Columbia will be exposed as the most overrated team in college football once the lamecocks visit DV. The beauty of playing the games on the field is that the Tigers can expose the USuCk fraud. A november beatdown will shut up the coots.

Do playing NC State and UNC not count for them?*****

Oct 8, 2012, 10:48 PM

Respectfully disagree with Neuheisel

Oct 8, 2012, 10:55 PM

1. Big 10 plays MAC while SEC plays SoConf teams like App State, Georgia Southern who can beat Big 10 teams
2. Pac 10 and Big 12 play WAC teams
3. SEC top teams have a proven record of beating top teams from other conferences in bowl games
4. Neuheisel would still be at UCLA if he was Nick Saban
5. Saban, Miles, and Spurrier (as much as we hate him) have driven up stock of SEC. SEC is on top now. But not for more than 3-5 more yrs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, but

Oct 9, 2012, 12:44 AM

They have a pretty hard schedule as is. Who would want their schedule with tough OC games added?

most are overrated because they are in SEc

Oct 9, 2012, 12:54 AM

like miss st. last year, auburn, uga this year

Oct 9, 2012, 1:49 AM

Good point... by the end of the season they are always shown to be overrated losers.... oh wait.

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic