Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reporting from Virginia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Reporting from Virginia

Sep 24, 2018, 8:07 AM

Hokies are in complete meltdown.

Walked into work, and first thing in the hallway ...

Two at each others throats arguing about VT's recruiting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reporting from Virginia

Sep 24, 2018, 9:56 AM

About 1/3 of my family attended hokie high and are from the tidewater area. They had a quasi-family reunion at that game. I really, really wished I could have made that trip and just listen to their post. I have not called them yet, but I guess I have to make my rounds now. If I was a Hokie booster, I would pay off any journalist/coach to make sure the Hokies are never ranked #13 against any in-state rival.

Back in 2010 JMU beat #13 VT (and out paced them in the 2nd half)... and then VT went on a 11 game winning streak and win the ACC. Similar story in 2008 as VT lost to ECU and won the ACC.

Caution, when VT looses to a inferior school... they often win the conference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can say this with all confidence

Sep 24, 2018, 10:01 AM

they might win their division but no way is hades to they win the conference...

Sep 25, 2018, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Reporting from Virginia ]

Ummm, not when losing their starting QB to a broken leg.

Sep 24, 2018, 8:56 PM

From Va as well. About 40 min from Blacksburg. Yes, today at work, lots of LONG faces at work. Hokie fans are almost as annoying as Chincken fans. They were thinking National Champs after week 1...

Go Tigers!

Sep 24, 2018, 9:06 PM

Isn't there a song that goes, "Carry Me Back to Old Dominion"?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Close

Sep 24, 2018, 9:54 PM

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/song/va_carry_me_back.htm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: Close

Sep 25, 2018, 11:23 AM

You missed the pun re Virginia Tech's loss to Old Dominion.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 11:18 AM

Justin Fuente is really good.

Bud Foster is a pretty durn good DC.

The problem there is simple - talent. They don't have enough of it. Beamer's recruiting had slumped, big-time, and while Fuente inherited a few players he's had a rough go of it in terms of player turnover. They were in sort of a "down" year as far as replacing seniors went anyhow - they had to replace a boatload of defensive starters - but the thing that absolutely killed them was their DB's...they basically had everything short of a plague of locusts landing on the field hit their DB corps. Between graduation, season-ending injuries, off-the-field issues, and transfers they lost something like 7-8 DB's off last year's squad and they're playing mostly true freshmen pretty much all the way across their DL.

Oh, and yeah, they lost most of their D-line too, so those guys aren't covered up by any sort of pass rush. Then to add to the fun their best D-linemen lost his mind on the sideline and started attacking those freshman DB's on the sideline and then later in the locker room...and Fuente summarily threw him off the team.

They also lost their starting QB to what looks like a season-ending injury, so they're starting over there too.

Bad luck can affect anybody, but this was kind of ridiculous. VT is without question the most snakebitten team of 2018, pretty much going away.

Sep 25, 2018, 12:55 PM

I am one of those folks that thinks that Bud needs to go. He is a great DC but as long as he is there it will never really be Fuente's/ or another HC's team. He should have been hired as the HC or gently pushed out. He is in too much of a comfort zone and it shows as his D has been constantly getting pushed around. I also think that is why there is a talent gap. I am not sold on Foster as "the" recruiter and the attrition is showing that he is not getting the right guys (trying to find those diamonds in the muck can bite the other direction too). I jokingly say that he needs to go to a FSU/Texas like school that can get a better native talent pool but needs better X&Os coach. Hey, it worked for Venables...

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic