Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remembering the 1986-87 Basketball team. What happened?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Remembering the 1986-87 Basketball team. What happened?

Mar 12, 2018, 3:50 PM

We had a fabulous regular season and then went "one & done" in the ACC before losing in the opening round of the NCAA tournament as a #4 seed to #13 seed SW Missouri State.

Am I correct in remembering that ACC Player of the Year Horace Grant was injured late in the season and either did not play or played hurt in the ACC and NCAA tournaments?

Seems like it was sort of the same situation we faced when Grantham got injured, but it happened much later in the year. We'd won like 7-8 straight and then lost 4 out of our last 5.

Someone with a better memory than mine help sort this out.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remembering the 1986-87 Basketball team. What happened?

Mar 12, 2018, 4:10 PM

He may have been hurt at some point in the season but not the tournament. He played great in the first half but they completely shut him down in the second half. That’s the best my brother and I can vaguely remember. One appearance would like to forget... it was like slam dunk we would win that game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dug a little deeper and found that it was Grayson Marshall

Mar 12, 2018, 4:24 PM

It was PG Grayson Marshall who was hurt late in the season and could barely go for the ACC and NCAA games.

He was the catalyst for that team and we were just not the same without him.

1987: The Tigers entered the 1987 tournament as a #4 seed against Charlie Spoonhour's Southwest Missouri State Bears. The 13th-seeded Bears knocked out the Tigers 65-60 by holding second-team All-American Horace Grant to 16 points on only 11 field goal attempts. Michael Brown was 6-7 from the field for 14 points, but it wasn't enough. The Tigers shot 54 percent from the field, 83.3 percent from the line, and 45.5 percent from behind the arc and still lost. Winston Garland led the Bears with 24 points. Clemson point guard Grayson Marshall was limited by a sprained ankle and injury that was a contributing factor to Clemson losing four of its last five games that year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grayson Marshall, our point guard, sprained his ankle near

Mar 12, 2018, 4:26 PM

the end of the season at Duke. Didn't play rest of the year. Team was a shell of itself without him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, we were an army without a general.

Mar 12, 2018, 6:34 PM

He was an assist machine.

I remember being down near the court

Mar 12, 2018, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Grayson Marshall, our point guard, sprained his ankle near ]

for a game early in GMs career. He made a great pass to Vinny Hamilton on the wing and said, "Hit it, Vinny!" And Vinny did. I always thought that was great communication and leadership from GM.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2018, 4:38 PM

This subject caught my attention. I was at the ACC tourney game against Wake Forest that year and remember Muggsy Bogues being a torturing element in the game. What was UNBELIEVABLY frustrating was the arena announcers who yelled "and with the assist, MUGGGGGGGSYYYYYY BOGUESSSSSSS!!!!!!" every single time the little fizzle made a play. They were hugely biased for whatever reason and the refs followed right along with the foul calls. Me and another CU student got so mad we "accidentally" walked on the court under the basket and the ref pointed at us to get back. Arena security came over and threatened us but didn't kick us out. Frustrating game given our potential that year.

Here's what happened

Mar 12, 2018, 4:42 PM

In the last game before the ACC Tournament, Grayson Marshall, our left handed point guard, who was an outstanding ball handler, sustained a severe sprained ankle. This was a very talented team, but somewhat like this year's team, it was not too deep. In the ACC Tournament, we got matched up against Wake Forest, one of the worst teams in the league, but their point guard was Mugsy Bogues, the quickest (and shortest) ball hawking guard probably in the history of the NCAA or NBA. Michael Tait, who led the league in 3 point shooting, and who still holds the single season 3 point % record at Clemson (you may verify this with Tim Bourret) had to play point guard. Bogues picked his pocket about 10 times, and they pulled the huge upset. In the prior meetings, we had no problems with Bogues, as we beat them soundly 2 times in the regular season. In the NCAA Tournament, we got matched up against Southwest Missouri State, and underrated team, and while I believe that Marshall tried to play, he was not effective. We lost in what was a poor effort. With a healthy Marshall, I believe we would certainly made the Sweet 16, and maybe even better, but without him, we were not the same team. He was not a great scorer, but he was a great ball handler, distributor of the ball, and floor general, and he was good free throw shooter at the end of games. For those who have forgotten, Elden Campbell was a freshman on that team, and he was a reserve. Because he was so weak and skinny, and due the the perennial problem with Clemson big me getting into foul trouble, he only average about 10 to 15 minutes a game, but he was an effective contributor on that team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2018, 8:35 PM

I can't speak to the details of the '86-'87 basketball season because I was still a senior in high school, but I do remember arriving as a freshman in '87 and one of the first things was to get a PO box at the university post office. Well it wasn't long before I started receiving junk mail addressed to the previous holder of that box who went by the name of Horace Grant. I kept hoping I would receive just one of his pay checks from the Bulls, but it never came. :(

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic