Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Red flag for VT...they have faced some TERRIBLE D's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 6,371

Red flag for VT...they have faced some TERRIBLE D's

Sep 24, 2017, 7:32 AM

One glaring red-flag for Virginia Tech: they rank 14th nationally in total offense (actually just 2 spots behind Clemson, who rank 12th despite the showing yesterday), but they have faced some of the worst defenses in college football. They faced an FCS team in Delaware and have also played Ole Dominion (now in their first season in FBS) who average 97th nationally in total D. Their other two opponents are even worse - West Virginia averages 106th (out of 129 teams) in total defense, and East Carolina averages dead last...129th out of 129 teams, allowing 634.3 yards per game.

Now along comes Clemson, who ranks #3 overall in total D at just 227.0 ypg...behind a UTSA team that has played no one (and just three games), and a Michigan team that has played such offensive juggernauts as Florida (112th overall in the nation in total O at 322.3ypg) Cincinnati (116th overall, 312ypg), Air Force (85th overall, 382.0ypg), and Purdue (80th overall at 392.0ypg). Wake me up when Michigan faces an offense better than freakin' Purdue, because they haven't yet. Which is sad.

Also, just for giggles while we're stattin'...South Carolina has finally cracked the Top-100 in total offense! They are now 100th nationally in total O at 350.3ypg! Congrats, fellas! They broke the Top-100 in total D last week and now rank 89th nationally at 410.3ypg allowed. Encouraging trends!

Bottom line is that VT's offense is about to graduate to facing Floyd Mayweather after training on a steady diet of Urkle-from-Family Matters. It's doubtful this helps them. Contrariwise, Bud Foster had to have been eyeballing Clemson's offensive struggles and Kelly Bryant's near-total inability against BC to spot and beat exotic blitzes and cackling "Good! Good!" like the Sith Emperor just before he lit up Luke with purple lightning. You'd best start doing better with your protections and hot reads, Kelly B, is all I'm going to say. Bud F even confounded Deshaun a few drives last year with his wildly variegenated looks, and you'd best believe he's coming for ya. You'd best cram like it's War and Peace week in English Lit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Red flag for VT...they have faced some TERRIBLE D's

Sep 24, 2017, 7:46 AM

Good assessment. I'm not ready to be too critical of yesterday's play. 31 years of watching football has taught me that there are times when guys come out flat. There's a mental aspect to sports that no one really understands. I want to believe that was the issue with our guys yesterday and that they will be up for the prime time game next week. But yes, I was impressed with VT's QB against WV but I kept telling myself the whole time that WV hasn't played defense in years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All you need to know is

Sep 24, 2017, 7:50 AM

They gave our NC team everything we could handle last yr. If we play as.bad on offense next week as today, we could lose

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All you need to know is

Sep 24, 2017, 8:04 AM

And they don't have Jarrod Evans, who was the main one that gave us fits. I see the defense continuing to be dominant and our offense wearing their defense down. They have gone 12 quarters against WEAK WEAK teams. Hit them in the mouth a few times, we will see how they hold up. Our OL/DL have been tested for 3 straight games. Theirs hasn't. I like our chances.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All you need to know is

Sep 24, 2017, 2:03 PM

One major issue they gave is dl depth both DT and de, which has been masked by their opponents. I also question the breadth of their skill positions, if we can scheme wr cam Phillips they dint have much else. And I question their ol, especially the right side.

Their DBS concern me as do their lbs. I'm worried about Bryant reading fosters disguises and robber packages.

Sep 24, 2017, 7:52 AM

And I have been surprised to see that despite their win record so far, "Beamer Ball" has not really been a big part of the equation. Usually there's an expectation that dominant special teams play will elevate the Hokies and ignite big momentum changes, but that hasn't been a big factor in their season at this point against lesser opponents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

VPI su. Will be all

Sep 24, 2017, 8:44 AM

That the Tigers can handle if the same team that played BC shows up Saturday. Hopefully practice this week will be focused on playing a top flight opponent. Big boy football starts in Blacksburg Saturday night. I'm betting that my team will be ready

Sep 24, 2017, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Red flag for VT...they have faced some TERRIBLE D's ]

Hokie fan here. ST play has actually been a big part of the reason we won against West Virginia. We dominated the return and punt game, and our Kicker leads the country in kickoffs for no return.

Sep 24, 2017, 10:42 AM

Your season averages are 26.7 kickoff return yards and 9.8 punt return yards, but against WVU the KR was 31 and the PR was 5. That's plenty respectable, especially on kick returns, and we'd be fools to discount the potential for some Beamer Ball, but to this point I wouldn't say the stats reflect any razzle dazzle stuff to speak of. All credit in the world to your kicker, but a surgical-grade kicker doesn't really typify my impression of the traditionally demoralizing Beamer Ball that everybody has come to fear...

Lookin forward to a great game in a great setting, as always!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

The plan is for VT to have very few kickoffs.

Sep 24, 2017, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Red flag for VT...they have faced some TERRIBLE D's ]

Delightful...

Sep 24, 2017, 10:26 AM

especially the flowering metaphors. It's about time you threw in some emotions. Your evaluations are always spot on and extremely informative but often dry and without much flavor. That was spicy, friend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2017, 10:31 AM

So has Clemson?

Sep 24, 2017, 10:57 AM

Auburn and Louisville vice ECU, Old Dominion and Delaware???

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2017, 10:57 AM

Someone's feathers are showing. Lol

Sep 24, 2017, 11:51 AM

Clemson has played bad defenses except for auburn. Clemson only scored 14 points on auburn.

Sep 24, 2017, 2:37 PM

NCAA S&P+ Defensive Rankings (as of 9/16 so not updated yet for this weekends games):
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

Auburn #5 S&P defense
Boston College #27 S&P defense
Louisville #39 S&P defense ( which will go up after their game against Kent state holding them to 3 points)

You were saying?

How does it feel to know your team only beat La Tech by one point?

Sep 24, 2017, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Red flag for VT...they have faced some TERRIBLE D's ]

Keep trolling if it makes you feel better. We're gonna stomp the gamecocks this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Good! Bud Foster says...

Sep 24, 2017, 11:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can believe Kyle Parker and Brandon

Sep 24, 2017, 1:38 PM

Streeter will be going over film with KB2 this week. I have no doubt next week against VT will look nothing like this game.

The BC game was perfect timing in the schedule for this team and will pay dividends going forward!

Sep 24, 2017, 2:00 PM

All good points, but odu moved up in 2014 in football.

do you have a score prediction, sounded pretty bullish in the first part but bearish in the last part. Can't let you cover both outcomes, gotta take a stand.

Sep 24, 2017, 2:05 PM

How was the offense bad yesterday? Clemson won by 27 points and had a ton of yards running the ball.

Do they have a punter averaging 50+ yd/punt?***

Sep 24, 2017, 2:13 PM

Clemson

Sep 24, 2017, 2:13 PM

Thanks for giving us some perspective about our upcoming opponent. Good stuff as usual.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This, and the Raleigh game are worrisome.***

Sep 24, 2017, 2:50 PM

Sep 24, 2017, 3:02 PM

Good stuff- My takeaway here is bet the under.

Replies: 24
| visibility 6,371
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic