Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re: Sports to Add
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

May 12, 2014, 12:18 PM

In line with the below message, I would love for Clemson to have a broader sports offering as well. Having said that, NO Olympic sport generates revenue. As a matter of fact Clemson Men's basketball would lose $ if it wasn't for our ACC affiliation.

I agree we shouldn't add any more sports programs unless...those said programs demonstrate a way to pay for themselves. The Clemson Lettermen absolutely have to take charge of their respective sports, organize, and give back to a higher degree than they have.

I do know that Men's Wrestling is doing this and has put forth a plan that, if re-instated, they would work towards full endowment. Their plan could act as a template for other programs such as Women's Volleyball, Tennis, et al. Of the existing programs, Men's Golf has gone above and beyond in this area.

If a program were to return, I believe Men's Wrestling will be first only because of the inexpensive nature of the sport(relatively speaking), ACC affiliation, past success, opportunity for championhips, etc. But mostly because of the alumni group's organization and willingness to "Pay their own way".

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd love to see the return of Clemson baseball***

May 12, 2014, 12:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Good One! However, it would be nice to see Clemson win

May 12, 2014, 12:40 PM

at some other sports once in awhile. I'm sick of seeing the mediocrity across the board in all of our Olympic sports. I realize that Women's Tennis is competitive nationally, along with a few others. When was the last time we won anything or made it to the finals?

If I were the AD, I'd fire the Women's Volleyball coach amongst a few others as well. When was the last time that team did anything? How many year have we had a Volleyball team and how many championships have they won? I know nobody cares about WV but Id be curious to see how much those girls have given back to help tha program elevate.

I beleive that womens and mens Track and filed have won at

May 12, 2014, 1:18 PM

least 1 NCAA championship apiece in the last few years as well as sending team members to the Olympics. That said, I'm not sure if track generates a profit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jolene Hoover just finished her 23rd year at Clemson

May 12, 2014, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Good One! However, it would be nice to see Clemson win ]

Under her direction the program has been a standard of consistent success (generally winning 20 or more games each year) However, only eight of her teams made NCAA appearances the last time was in 2009 I believe. She has won three ACC Championships (1997, 1999, and 2007). While she's had an impressive career and it can be argued that she hasn't done much lately, in fairness, similar to ACC men's basketball, the ACC is one of the nations elite conferences in women's volleyball and the addition of Louisville will only make it stronger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jolene Hoover just finished her 23rd year at Clemson

May 12, 2014, 1:41 PM

WELL IF SHE HAS BEEN there 23 years then surely the game of volleyball has passed her by.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She was pretty young when she came to Clemson. 27 I believe***

May 12, 2014, 1:49 PM

title 9. are we in the bonus?***

May 12, 2014, 12:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

And aother thing, if we are going to suck at Olympic...

May 12, 2014, 12:47 PM

sports, lets at least, recruit American student athletes. I bet if you wanted to hold a Men's (and especially Women's) Tennis reunion, you would have to have it somewhere in Scandinavia, the far East, or the Baltic countries. Those kids that play tennis are probably able to afford to paying their own way since tennis is a CC sport. With Track, you would have it in the Caribbean. I hate that we spend scholarship & on people who have no connection to us. Like I said, it would be more palatable if we actually won once I awhile.

So let's get this straight...

May 12, 2014, 1:57 PM

You want all Olympic sports to at least break even, you want the alumni/lettermen to donate to help get them endowed.

But you don't want us to go out and get the best talent we can?

Would mean missing out on some great players, if you look at the last ten years. A great recent example is Landry Nnoko. Guy works his butt off and helps us win (thus putting more butts in seat, helping generate revenues for basketball).

If we are going to treat these Olypmic sports as profit centers, they need to be ran like businesses. Go out and get the best we can, regardless of what part of the world they are from.

I think you and I agree...

May 12, 2014, 4:28 PM

Im not saying the programs have to break even because, in all honesty, they won't break even. The point of collegiate sports is develop future leaders. Having said that, I don't think it's right for the "non-revenue" generating sports alums to think that Clemson should continue to fully fund in perpetuity. Many of these athletes, myself included, benefitted immensely from a Clemson Scholly. You would be shocked to see how few give back. That said, guess who cries when the programs get cut due to $.

It would have been great if this had actually be in the

May 12, 2014, 12:54 PM

line with that other thread about adding sports.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2014, 1:21 PM

Why not just respond to that message then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Lacrosse /thread***

May 12, 2014, 1:23 PM

May 12, 2014, 1:39 PM

It still amazes me that we do not have a women's softball team...I mean with us being a "traditionally" strong baseball school in the south, it makes sense...and if you watch ESPN it is crazy how much they televise it now...Charleston Southern and Coastal were on last night for the Big South championship....WHAT?! lol

Unless and until someone steps-up and writes a big check...

May 25, 2015, 4:43 PM

to cover the cost of the facility Clemson would have to build, I think it is highly unlikely softball will be coming to Clemson.

The NCAA mandates a comperable facility to its male counterpart. South Carolina, Georgia Tech and South Florida just spent in excess of $8 million each to either construct new or renovate existing softball facilities.

Re: Sports to Add (softball)

May 12, 2014, 2:05 PM

I hate the fact that we are the only college in this state that has no softball program.

Again....

May 12, 2014, 2:20 PM

Unless and until someone steps-up and writes a big check to cover the cost of the facility Clemson would have to build, I think it is highly unlikely softball will be coming to Clemson.

The NCAA mandates a facility that is comperable to the male counterpart. South Carolina, Georgia Tech and South Florida just spent in excess of $8 million each to either construct new or renovate existing softball facilities.

That doesn't include the start-up costs of coaches salaries, travel, uniforms, equipment, and twelve scholarships.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic