Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
R.I.P. Vic Bubas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,313

R.I.P. Vic Bubas

Apr 18, 2018, 11:15 AM

the guy who put Duke hoops on the map....

and a great person in many respects. went to his sports camps when i was a kid.

many years later i got to interact with him when his grandkids went to the school where i coached cross country for a few years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-duke-vic-bubas-st-0418-story.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP..Vic Bubas

Apr 18, 2018, 11:35 AM

was a Gentleman & great BB Coach.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YeP..Vic Bubas

Apr 18, 2018, 11:50 AM

did you know him down on HHI?

Gracias. Bubas was an icon in ACC coaching. Seeing his name

Apr 18, 2018, 11:40 AM

reminds of those halcyon days when he, and Bones McKinney and Everett Case roamed the sidelines and built the foundation for what the ACC became--the best basketball played outside of Los Angeles---and also set the stage for the next group of ACC HOF coaches to assume the mantle and go to the next level.

A little side note: the late Duke legend Art Heyman got so angry with his alma mater's treatment of Bubas when his old coach was dismissed that he refused to have anything to do with the Blue Devil program for decades. It was not until late in his life that Heyman began to mend some fences with Duke

And Duke had some players even in those years besides just Heyman: Mullins, Verga, Vacendak, Groat, immediately come to mind.

Off in the distance I can hear the fading refrains of "Sail With The Pilot"

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gracias. Bubas was an icon in ACC coaching. Seeing his name

Apr 18, 2018, 11:55 AM

Jeff Mullins taught me how to shoot a basketball :) i hung out in the gym even during break times at camp and he spent a lot of one-on-one time with me

one of my favorite memories of Bubas's camps was playing h-o-r-s-e with Mullins and John Havlicek.. just the 3 of us in a gym. Havlicek was still a big star at the time, but couldn't have been any friendlier

Re: Gracias. Bubas was an icon in ACC coaching. Seeing his name

Apr 18, 2018, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Gracias. Bubas was an icon in ACC coaching. Seeing his name ]

"All the way, he's got plans for every growing family"

Jack Marin and Mike Lewis were also in the same class as Verga. I think Groat was there before Bubas became the coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great old photo of those legends

Apr 20, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Gracias. Bubas was an icon in ACC coaching. Seeing his name ]

Smith, Bubas, Case, and McKinney

i had forgotten that Bubas was only 41 when he stopped coaching at Duke

Re: R.I.P. Vic Bubas-not trying to be a smart alec

Apr 18, 2018, 1:14 PM

but I thought he had been dead for years since I never heard him mentioned much in recent years

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: R.I.P. Vic Bubas-not trying to be a smart alec

Apr 20, 2018, 2:37 PM

he was a really low key guy and kept a very low profile.

i remember he had to be persuaded to speak at his grandkids' school at a fund raiser... he didn't want to do it, but the kids talked him into it and he gave a great talk about the benefits of sports in kids' lives

his daughter told one of the other coaches that about every other year one of the networks would contact him about doing an interview or making an appearance at a game or some function and he always said no

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,313
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic