»
Topic: RB George “POGO” Usry has died , as Joe21 mentioned, which saddened me since met in 2015
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 12, 2019 5:43 PM by: 7173TIGER®
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 3  

RB George “POGO” Usry has died , as Joe21 mentioned, which saddened me since met in 2015

[4]
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 3:34 PM

along with his lovely wife..and George & I chatted then at the tailgate of their great festive game setup..about our individual Coach Howard stories since George played for him 3 years in some great games & bowls..

and I had interviewed Coach twice around mid ‘60 for Clemson TiGER student newspaper as a sports writer (way b/4 young Hartins was there too as Sports Writer, Editor & later as Boss of Entire Newspaper)..plus the time I saw Frank years later in 1988.

George, in 80’s now, was rather smallish in physical size to my eyes that afternoon but full of personality, vigor & memory of his Clemson football experience..and it was a high honor to meet him & wife..and thus later told friends.

Believe Nickname POGO came from a funny political cartoon character & that he was from a Georgia area near a swamp.

George lived in Clemson.

Salute & R. I. P. George..a fine & accomplished Clemson Gentleman.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

To All CLEMSON TiGERS..Sending you Bright Light from the Carolina Coast and hoping you get to witness a huge Orange sunset tonight. Go Tigers!

Re: RB George “POGO” Usry died , as Joe21 mentioned, which saddened me since met in 2016

[2]
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 3:45 PM

Was also called "POPS) because his hair was thinning as a student. God bless him.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

George "Pogo" Usry

[2]
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 3:51 PM

Sad news. George Usry was a very good halfback on the late 1950s teams, and I saw him play a few times. If I'm not mistaken, he was a 3 year starter, and only 11 started back then. They played both offense and defense. He played in the Sugar Bowl and Bluebonnet Bowl.

RIP another great Tiger.

He was a great Clemson Tiger...

[1]
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 5:43 PM

I saw him play in the backfield with Harvey White (QB), Bill Mathis (HB) and Doug Cline (FB). He joined us for a couple games in our Suite at Death Valley 5 or 6 years ago. Had great stories, including several about Lou Cordelione (offensive tackle nicknamed, "Big Mama"), who he enjoyed running behind. George's nickname (POGO) came from his running style... Coach Howard said he ran "like he was on a pogo stick."

We'll miss you, Pogo!

2019 orange level member

Replies: 3  
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
681 people have read this post