Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions for the football gurus...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,143

Questions for the football gurus...

Sep 19, 2017, 8:04 PM

I had a couple questions I have been wondering about yardage stats with penalties.

1) In the game Saturday after Etienne had the 81 yard run, the screen read that the scoring drive was 2 plays, 75 yards. There was a 4 yard gain on first down, then 2 false starts after that. Does Etienne get the 81 yards rushing but the total offensive yardage is only 75?

2) Just a different way of saying the first question, say a drive starts on the 20, and ends up scoring a touchdown. There are 3 flags on the offense for a total of 30 yards, is the total offense accrued 110 yards or is it 80?

I've watched years of football but always wondered how yardage was accounted for around penalties. Another example is yardage gained but a defensive penalty is accepted, does the offensive player lose those stats?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions for the football gurus...

Sep 19, 2017, 8:12 PM

1) Both Etienne and the offense gets credit for the 81 yards. The "drive length" ends up being net (after penalties are included). The drive length is just the starting and ending points.

2) Total offense is 110 yards. Statistics includes 30 yards on penalties.

Offensive player loses their statistics if the play is cancelled due to a penalty (as well as defensive player, i.e. no credit for a sack). However, in the case of a penalty that's assessed at the point of the foul like holding, I think the offense gets credit for the yards to the point of the foul. Then the penalty is tacked on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Sep 19, 2017, 8:13 PM

1 - Total offensive yardage on that drive was 85 yards. They state it as a 2 play 75 yard drive because we started from the 25 yard line. It was a net 75 yard drive, even through the box score would show 85 yards of offense.

2 - the offense would indeed get credit for 110 yards, but the drive would be a net 80 yard drive.

Penalty yards are always a separate statistic in the box score. Likewise, you’ll notice that if you are on offense starting from the 25 yard line and you score, but say the defense has 2 PI’s called. It would still be a net 75 yard drive with only 45 yards of total offense. Hope this helps.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2017, 8:16 PM

1. 85 yards to the good, 10 to the bad so 75 total positive yards. Drive started on the 25 so the drive could ONLY be 75 total. If that makes sense.

2. It's just finish - start. Drive starts on the 20 and ends on the 40, it's a 20 yard drive. Doesn't matter whether yards were gained or lost on plays or penalties.

hth

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2017, 8:17 PM

1) You are correct. The drive is measured from where it started. So is the run.
2) 80 for the same reason.
3) Yes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 19, 2017, 8:29 PM

Thank you all for the answers, points all around. Makes sense, the total offensive yardage at the end of a drive can be greater than the drive length. The more you know!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,143
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic