Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for the ACC homers...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Question for the ACC homers...

May 20, 2012, 9:47 PM

Do you really believe the ACC has a future in major college football? Once FSU leaves, and GT is already in talks with the Big 12, the ACC will have no pull for future TV deals. And no, Miami doesnt count as a FB power. They dont have the revenue to compete anymore. I can honestly see the ACC and Big East both losing their automatic BCS bids. Their is no future in the ACC people. And for those of you who say we should stay in the ACC bc it'll be easier to win the conference, who cares! In a couple years it will be no different than winning Confernce USA. We won a natl title in the ACC... 30 YEARS AGO!!! Times have changed. When Swofford took over in '97 the ACC had the richest TV deal in the country. Now we're fifth. That is a direct reflection of the ACC's unwillingness to adapt to the new landscape of the game. All of you homers want to reflect on things that happened years ago as justification for staying in the ACC. Catch up with the times. If you wanna look at the past and compare it to the present to predict the future, then look at the trend of money in the ACC and the downward spiral. Look at the ACC's pathetic response to conference expansion: Pitt and Syracuse. What a joke. Maybe Clemson cant win in the Big 12. I dont know. But we have to take a chance on joining a conference that may make bigtime versus staying in one that clearly wont.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BINGO

May 20, 2012, 9:51 PM

We have a winner!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll give you the point as soon as my headache is gone.

May 20, 2012, 9:54 PM

Next time could you give us a little white space. You know, that thing you learned in Eng 101.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BCS as we know it will be gone in June with the new system.

May 20, 2012, 10:08 PM

is approved.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll give you the point as soon as my headache is gone.

May 20, 2012, 11:46 PM [ in reply to I'll give you the point as soon as my headache is gone. ]

I read a lot longer paragraphs in English 101....

Just giving you a hard time.

Haha I didnt intend for it to be that long. I just got on a

May 20, 2012, 11:49 PM

roll and didnt realize how long it was till I posted it.

So someone TD this post but cant retort as to why they think

May 20, 2012, 10:15 PM

Im wrong. Post your opinion and lets debate.

miami reportedly brought in 57mil in sports rev last year

May 20, 2012, 10:21 PM

with expenses of 51mil.

they just signed al golden to a rich extension thru 2020.

why do you think miami no longer has the revenue to compete?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at the revenue stream of the major colleges that have

May 20, 2012, 10:25 PM

consistent, competitive programs. 57 million doesnt cut it. When was the last time they sold out their lower deck for a FB game? FSU is going. Thats going to happen. Once it does, the SEC and Big 12 will have a footprint in Florida. Miami will see a decrease in recruiting and will only continue to slip further.

Re: Look at the revenue stream of the major colleges that have

May 20, 2012, 10:31 PM

Miami is #43 on the list. There are 9 SEC schools with budgets that are more than 33% larger than what Miami has. With all of them going into Florida for recruits, and FSU soon to be in the Big 12, Miami is headed for a fall.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/03/21/top-50-highest-athletics-department-revenues/

then everyone outside the top 10 in expenditures

May 20, 2012, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Look at the revenue stream of the major colleges that have ]

should give up football now. seriously.

they are a private school that just made a huge, longterm investment in a #### good coach. they were top 10 in recruiting last year and are well on their way again this year.

they're not going anywhere unless they chose to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They shouldnt give up, but to think they can be a natl power

May 20, 2012, 10:49 PM

and one of the faces of the ACC is unrealistic. Al Golden is a good coach? I think he may be, but people need to know that what he did at Temple was partly the result of moving to a weaker conference. Personally, Im not willing to put the future of Clemson in hands of the current ACC FB programs we have. And if the only argument for "they can be great again" is Al Golden, then the sooner we go the Big 12 the better. I didnt cite the top-10 in revenue. I cited that there were 9 programs in the SEC that were WAY ahead in revenue stream. Why cant Miami go out and hire a bigtime coach? If promoting DCs and hiring mid-major coaches is the best they can do then theyre in trouble.

they hired an nfl coach, who went and hired the OC

May 20, 2012, 10:54 PM

from the philadelphia eagles or did you miss that?

they hired al golden because of his background, do you know it? and what he accomplished. some heralded it as the best hire of the year.

i was serious, this discussion shouldn't just include a team that's won 5 titles in 28 years, it should be about anyone outside the top 10 or 15 in revenues.

look at who is right next to them, clemson. you putting a nail in clemson's coffin also?

why even try?

It doesnt matter what theyve done over the last 28 yrs. Why

May 20, 2012, 11:04 PM

do people continue to cite stuff from way back when? 28yrs isnt a long time, but on the scale of the CFB life cylce its a ton of time. The landscape has changed tremendously. If youre not up with the times of CFB, which the ACC isnt, then dont expect to repeat your storied past. And yes, if Clemson doesnt get out of the ACC go on and put a nail in their coffin. We havent exactly been tearing it up outside of the ACC the last several years.

they were going to shut down Miami football before Howard

May 20, 2012, 11:02 PM [ in reply to They shouldnt give up, but to think they can be a natl power ]

schnellenberger became head cooach. They were as close to closing the doors as you could come. Then, one man who could coach, figured it out. All of a sudden, little ole private school Miami, wins 5 titles in 20 years.

They didn't do it with money. They started it with a coach. They had the blessing of geography. But for decades before Howard, no one else could figure that out. And it looks like now, no one can figure it out again.

You want to win, find you a coach. Money will come later, regardless of who you are.

Texas has had money for ever and has 1 title in 30 + years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can't give you enough points.***

May 20, 2012, 11:03 PM

THIS ISNT CFB FROM 30 YRS AGO...

May 20, 2012, 11:07 PM [ in reply to they were going to shut down Miami football before Howard ]

What part of this dont you people get? People thinking like that is why the ACC has been left behind in the dust. CFB used to be boosters and sport. Now its a thriving business. Its bowl payouts, TV deals, exposure on ESPN, etc.

one ny media's view on the top 9-10 brands in

May 20, 2012, 11:11 PM

college football.

http://brandspankingnewyork.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-nine-brands-of-college-football.html

like i said, everyone outside the top 10 should give up if your thinking were true.

Simple question: Are you confident enough in Miami's

May 20, 2012, 11:14 PM

ability to rebound that you would pass up going to the Big 12? Do you really believe the ACC will become one of the best CFB conferences?

Will the ACC ever become the best football conference. No

May 20, 2012, 11:17 PM

Can Clemson still have high national visibility/viability in a terrible ACC - yes. See Boise State.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win bunch of games with no shot at the title: see Boise St.***

May 20, 2012, 11:21 PM

They still getting plenty of press and love on ESPN

May 20, 2012, 11:22 PM

I think had they gone undefeated last year, they would have gotten a shot.

How many natl titles has Boise played for when theyve been

May 20, 2012, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Will the ACC ever become the best football conference. No ]

undefeated? You think with the new bowl agreement between the SEC and Big 12 that the ACC and Big East are gonna have any pull? Its no longer the "Big 6". Its the "Big 4". The BCS system will either adjust or fall. Once FSU leaves the ACC, our next money deal will be even worse than this one. The ACC will continue to fall further behind. That trend is easy enough to see. Clemson needs to be in a conference where playing for natl titles is a possibilty. Do I think we can win one in the Big 12. Doubtful right now. But I believe we've got a better chance of being 11-1 in the Big 12 than we do going 13-0 in the ACC AND being in the top-2 nationally.

FSU isn't going anywhere unless it is the SEC.

May 20, 2012, 11:23 PM

Otherwise, they will stay put in the ACC. Deal with it.

Re: FSU isn't going anywhere unless it is the SEC.

May 20, 2012, 11:24 PM

You really think FSU will stay in a dying conference?

they will stay in the ACC unless the SEC offers. Period.***

May 20, 2012, 11:25 PM

my only exception to your post was you making

May 20, 2012, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Simple question: Are you confident enough in Miami's ]

a complete idiotic statement about a program that brings in top 10 classes, has hall of famers littered throughout the nfl, boasts heisman trophy winners and 5 national titles to show off as bling.

if miami is doomed then put the nail in a lot of other programs in the nc2a because they don't have a chance.

i don't have a dog in this fight. i will support clemson no matter what the powers that be decide.

Re: my only exception to your post was you making

May 20, 2012, 11:31 PM

How is that an idiotic statment? Miami has done nothing over the last several years with the exception of one 9 win season. You really thing people fear "The U"? Youre using the same argument that Ive heard from optimistic Miami fans for years. When has their recruiting been so bad that they werent loaded. They had the #1 class per ESPN in 08. Hows that working out for them?

and before that it was who could give 120 scholarships

May 20, 2012, 11:13 PM [ in reply to THIS ISNT CFB FROM 30 YRS AGO... ]

and another 50 walkons. Alabama and Nebraska would give kids scholarships just so no one else could get the player.

The rules have changed, but it is the same game. The haves, will always have. And SCAR will never be a have in the SEC, just like Indiana will never be a have in the Big 10

"they're not going anywhere unless they chose to"...

May 20, 2012, 10:58 PM [ in reply to then everyone outside the top 10 in expenditures ]

Over the last 5 years Miami has been:
07: 5-7
08: 7-6
09: 9-4
10: 7-6
11: 6-6

Thats an avg of 6.8 wins/yr.

SCar over the last 5 years has been:
07: 6-6
08: 7-6
09: 7-6
10: 9-5
11: 11-2

That an avg of 8 wins/yr.

Miami couldnt compete with SCar right now and youre expecting them to jump back into the picture as a legit competitor?

lol... you just used scar? how bout penn st, michigan...

May 20, 2012, 11:02 PM

how are they doing with all that money?

how many programs have been thru down periods? bama went how many years without a title? how many coaches did they go thru? how many #### the bed before they went and got saban?

how bout georgia? when was their last title?

usc? tejas? i can go on. it's been 10 years at miami and you want to throw dirt on them?

that's just silly when there are too many top notch programs that have been thru worse.

you have to remember, coots only have 3 years of history

May 20, 2012, 11:06 PM

to draw from in college football.

i am very seldom 'shocked' by this board. that was an

May 20, 2012, 11:08 PM

honest Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot moment for me.

holy fack batman.

SCar's history is crap no doubt. But thats the point. The

May 20, 2012, 11:10 PM [ in reply to you have to remember, coots only have 3 years of history ]

past in the current CFB landscape doesnt count as much as money. SCar being in the SEC has finally rewarded them. I know we all hate to think about it, but its the truth. Theyve got the SEC branded on them and over 20 million dollars more than most of the ACC programs.

they finished 5th. that's a reward? and when they got

May 20, 2012, 11:13 PM

throttled by awbarn, they then went and got spanked by fsu.

these are rewards?

Re: they finished 5th. that's a reward? and when they got

May 20, 2012, 11:16 PM

To see where theyve come from just 10 yrs ago. Yes Id say its a reward. They did just win 11 games and beat us 3 in a row or did you miss that? The fact is SCar has seen a steady increase in their FB program while several ACC schools have declined.

the espn deal is not even 2 years old. they have

May 20, 2012, 11:23 PM

brought up their program because they got a coach that's stayed more than 5 years and have decided to spend the money they already had.

the espn deal didn't even go into effect until the '09/10 season.

jeebus. 10 years of what? they were ready to run spurrier off as well after he lost to swinney as an interrim.

'what do you want me to do ron?' better team, better coach.'

The SEC has been making money deals over the last several

May 20, 2012, 11:25 PM

years that have garnered them a lot of money. This new deal is new, but this has been a long time coming. SEC has been making bank for years now.

scars success has as much to do with uf, uga and

May 20, 2012, 11:27 PM

ut being down.

all those programs spend more money than scar. what's the problem?

coaching maybe?

ACC and SEC money was very close per school until "the new

May 20, 2012, 11:27 PM [ in reply to The SEC has been making money deals over the last several ]

deal" so money and the SEC had zero effect on SCAR other than to convince Spurrier to coach there.

Re: ACC and SEC money was very close per school until "the new

May 20, 2012, 11:29 PM

SEC schools invest in FB. ACC schools dont. We're in a conference that doesnt invest in the major money maker. This will continue to hurt us down the road, and it will only get worse.

Re: they finished 5th. that's a reward? and when they got

May 20, 2012, 11:27 PM [ in reply to they finished 5th. that's a reward? and when they got ]

no i believe throttled is what west virgina did to yall.

clemson lost by 37, scar by 39.

May 20, 2012, 11:31 PM

and then there's 63-17, you can do the math.

Re: clemson lost by 37, scar by 39.

May 20, 2012, 11:32 PM

if this was 2004 that might have stung a little bit.

Don't even try to pretend getting humiliated on your own

May 20, 2012, 11:37 PM

home field by your rival doesn't live on in the minds of the 65,000 or so chickenfans who made it through the first half

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think about how bad the 4 Coots who stayed for the 2nd half

May 20, 2012, 11:38 PM

must feel haha.

I'd like to see a SCAR vs UM matchup. My guess

May 20, 2012, 11:04 PM [ in reply to "they're not going anywhere unless they chose to"... ]

is that Miami would beat you just like FSU did.

and awbarn.***

May 20, 2012, 11:07 PM

It has to be from donations. Definately not ticket sales.***

May 20, 2012, 11:43 PM [ in reply to miami reportedly brought in 57mil in sports rev last year ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for the ACC homers...

May 20, 2012, 11:21 PM

and clemson

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic