Topic: Question for past or present engineering majors:
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 2, 2020 11:13 AM by: 76er®
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 8  

Question for past or present engineering majors:

[4]
Posted: Oct 1, 2020 12:24 PM

My son is a Junior in Civil Engineering at Clemson & just got notified from Clemson about being awarded the Hubble Foundation scholarship. He did not apply for it. Does anybody know anything about this scholarship?
I found online that the scholarship was started in 2016, but they don’t say much else.

Re: Question for past or present engineering majors:

[1]
Posted: Oct 1, 2020 12:52 PM

Reach out to the financial aid office. They often track non-Clemson, private, donor, organization grants and scholarships as well since those often impact other forms of aid.

[1]
Posted: Oct 1, 2020 12:54 PM

Anyone in your family fallen from a telecommunications tower?

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Concerning an engineering profession ...

[1]
Posted: Oct 1, 2020 1:00 PM

advice from a 30-year veteran ...

2020 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Is he doing work on guy-wire towers?***

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 1:23 PM

2020 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's something in these hills.

Nice, he probably did apply

[1]
Posted: Oct 1, 2020 1:28 PM

when you sign up for financial aid, whether you get any or not, you are put on the general scholarship list. Financial aid can help you. Congratulations!

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 11:14 PM

Congratulations to your son. That is fantastic news.

I am an engineering faculty member, but in a different department. In my department, there are various scholarships that are available to deserving upperclassmen that are separate from the freshmen scholarships that are generally administered by the university's financial aid. Faculty members are sometimes called upon to nominate students, or there might be a committee that nominates students for these types of scholarships. Ditto for awards. Often, the students are not aware they are being considered. As one poster noted, having filled out the FAFSA form with financial aid also puts you in the pool for receiving scholarships.

Your son probably got nominated by a faculty member or a faculty committee.

I suggest reaching out to the department chair if you want to learn more. His name is Dr. de la Garza, and he is a very nice and enthusiastic man. You can find his contact info here: https://www.clemson.edu/cecas/departments/ce/about/contact.html

Congrats again!

Don't know about that one, but it's great news

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 11:27 PM

and an honor for your son.

LOL. The Hubble Telescope lenses were still just beach sand

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 11:13 AM

when I attended Clemson. So, no help about the schollie.

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Replies: 8  
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
1086 people have read this post