Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for my fellow Clemson basketball fans.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Question for my fellow Clemson basketball fans.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:14 AM

If we have a terrible basketball season, would you keep Brownell if it meant losing the 2 big time recruits we have committed for next season, or would you give him one more year? What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny. Don't you realize that we're actually in

Dec 3, 2019, 7:17 AM

"Groundhog's Day 2" and there's no getting out of our "situation" no matter what you try to do!?

Re: Question for my fellow Clemson basketball fans.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:22 AM

If we have a terrible season, you let him go. There may not be any other choice, for if memory serves me, that is what D. Rad basically said at the end of last season.
Either get to the Big Dance, or else.

Dec 3, 2019, 8:04 AM

I dont recall him saying that but who knows. It isnt looking promising so far

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 7:24 AM

You can give Brownell another 10 years and he’s still going to be a 18-16 win coach losing 90% of games decided by 5 points or less.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:31 AM

But we can add those 2 recruits and the following coach will have some talent to work with.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:42 AM

The teams we compete with in the ACC have more talent on the bench than we do on the court.

Dec 3, 2019, 8:06 AM

Maybe..but the 2 recruits we are getting have ACC speed.

They would likely transfer out anyway, so why wait?***

Dec 3, 2019, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for my fellow Clemson basketball fans. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Dec 3, 2019, 7:51 AM

this team has played pretty well this year against a schedule that has been far from easy. now last night they looked just awful but the previous 7 we could have easily won them all. if you noticed we had 4 guys in street clothes on the bench last night, 2 of which will be back sunday supposedly against a very good fsu team. very interested to see what bahre brings to the table. have heard nothing but great things about him. what would our record have been with him healthy. a lot of you predicted we would not win a game this year after losing so many from last year. lets just see how we do after bahre gets acclimated, and we get trapp back in january. it is very frustrating at times no doubt but this team is truly a work in progress. the season lasts 4 more months.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please name one person on this board who predicted

Dec 3, 2019, 8:41 AM

"we would not win a game this year..."

Go ahead, I'll wait.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Dec 3, 2019, 8:07 AM

Define terrible.

8 wins?
10 wins?
14 wins?
15 wins?
18 wins?

I still think this is a young team that is going to be very up/down. It hurts when the other team is shooting above 50%. But then again, that is a defensive issue we need to fix. We had a down moment but it really matters when we hit ACC play. We should be no less than 8-4 entering into the meat of the ACC season if not a nice 9-3. Still if we are below 8-10 in ACC play (about 16-12), well it makes it an interesting question. Then it becomes a question of how the team responds. If we have 6 wins in conference... well...

I expected a terrible year after losing practically the

Dec 3, 2019, 8:51 AM

whole team last year.

I would give him two more years after this one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And One!***

Dec 3, 2019, 9:00 AM

It Just doesn't matter

Dec 3, 2019, 9:01 AM

He's had too many "one more years" since about year 4 of this experiment, but it's obvious our administration is fine with a mediocre hoops program and nothing we say here is going to change that. He's going to have to completely go to Larry Shyatt territory in order for there to be a coaching change but if we keep winning 17-20 games per year and make the NIT most years, nothing's going to change.

Re: It Just doesn't matter

Dec 6, 2019, 7:54 AM

Why not just pay him peanuts for the job then? Heck, many tnetters would coach for a lot less.
Get me a great high school coach that wins a lot of games every year and let him have at it. He wins for a reason, coaching!!!!

future looks bright

Dec 3, 2019, 1:07 PM

(posted this before)

two good freshmen guards... Simms and Newman coming back..

two good recruits with size..

he'll be back..

Unless we stink it up with just 9 or 10 wins...

Dec 3, 2019, 1:26 PM

He will be back. Next year is a pivotal year, and no matter if we have a great year next year, and most of the players come back, two years is another pivotal year. Unlike last year I would let him go if we don't make the NCAAT two years in row. He has got to start showing consistency in winning.

He has shown consistency

Dec 3, 2019, 4:07 PM

0-11 Clemson ACC 34 22 12 .647 13.76 6.58 NCAA Tournament
2011-12 Clemson ACC 31 16 15 .516 7.31 3.41
2012-13 Clemson ACC 31 13 18 .419 5.82 4.44
2013-14 Clemson ACC 36 23 13 .639 11.08 5.97
2014-15 Clemson ACC 31 16 15 .516 7.73 7.18
2015-16 Clemson ACC 31 17 14 .548 12.03 6.87
2016-17 Clemson ACC 33 17 16 .515 13.22 9.98
2017-18 Clemson ACC 35 25 10 .714 17.17 9.25 NCAA Tournament
2018-19 Clemson ACC 34 20 14 .588 13.85 8.99

9 Seasons - 5 seasons of 16-20 wins without a tourney berth. One Bad season. 2 Tourney season. 6 Mediocre seasons. He's pretty #### consistent.

It's not getting better next year. People will transfer or get hurt we'll win 20 games and go to the NIT. There's nothing in 9 seasons of results that say otherwise. But hes not getting fired so there's really no point in this debate.

Re: He has shown consistency

Dec 3, 2019, 5:09 PM

Well consistency just got slaughtered by a 3-4 team. Has no big man to get points inside the paint and is last in the conference in offensive rebounds. You Wana talk about players being out? Trap was never an offensive guy in high school. He was recruited to be a defensive player. Johnathan B is just a tall flex who can shoot long. That doesn't help matters when a team presses the 3line on you like last night. You have to be able to get easy points inside and Clemson has not shown me they can do that in any of the games I've watched and I've watched them all this year. Brads defensive plan and holding the ball until shot clock keeps games close but baskets win ball games. His style will never bring Clemson an acc championship. Point blank. Bowden of basketball.

Re: a landscape-based response (A Little Long)

Dec 3, 2019, 2:58 PM

Taking a non-blue blood ACC program from mediocre to perennial contender (avg 12+ wins over multiple classes) would take any coach 8-10 years. (Tony Bennett is an exception, but it still took him 7.) Brownell has had 10, and sometimes looks halfway there, other times less.

An incredible window of opportunity should materialize about 4 years from now and last 3-4 years when all of the coaching legends of the ACC retire--Coach Roy, Coach K, Jim Boeheim, even Hamilton, with Pitino already gone. Even blue blood programs take a brief step back when a HoF coach steps down. At that point, if Brownell is still coaching at Clemson, he and Tony Bennett will have seniority over the entire ACC, and Clemson will command greater attention with recruits, respect from refs and results in games.

If Brownell can build any kind of momentum coming out if this season, Clemson could be poised to become a perennial contender by 2023-24.

OTOH if Brownell gets fired and we lose those recruits, we would need an incredibly lucky hire to even get back to 2018 level by 2023. We'd be starting over again.

Our best hope of EVER becoming a perennial contender rests in Brownell's progress with this team over the next 2 years. Because it's too late to replace him and rebuild the program within 4 years, and after that brief opening the blue bloods will just reestablish their recruiting dominance. Then you'll be recruiting uphill again.

Dec 3, 2019, 4:28 PM

So if NC State football keeps Doeron forever, then one day when Dabo retires NC State football will be champions because Doeron will have seniority over the new Clemson coach and the other ACC coaches?

I don't think it works like that.

Dec 3, 2019, 4:51 PM

Don't put words in his mouth! He explained it pretty well.

Don't over analyze.

Dec 4, 2019, 12:11 AM

Thanks.

Obviously, no one can predict how anyone will respond when the window opens.

But in basketball, far more than football, those coaching legends suck up most of the oxygen in any recruiting battle. And basketball is so much easier when you've recruited well.....

Dec 4, 2019, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Re: a landscape-based response (A Little Long) ]

Total crap. You think because the veteran HCs leave in the league that Clemson will magically be a place recruits will want to come? Wow, dream land!!!!

Dec 6, 2019, 12:43 AM

No, sweetheart.

I specifically did NOT say that.

I basically said that YOU are dreaming if you think any new coach is going to ###### recruits away from the ACC's Big 4 in the next 4 years.

Discussions work better when you read without knee-jerking. But that's what a Clemson basketball board has become.

Re cens*ring the board

Dec 6, 2019, 12:45 AM

Please forgive. I didn't mean to be vulgar when I said "sn@tch"

None of this matters.

Dec 3, 2019, 5:05 PM

All that matters is the lack of support of the basketball program by the administration. Until Clemson hires a coach who can recruit and pays him enough to stay, expect abject mediocrity. I watched about 5 minutes of last night's game. The eventual result was obvious.

We should give Brad a chance . .wait

Dec 4, 2019, 12:13 AM

until he is able to bring in his own players . . . . SMH

Look, Clemson is rural and there are no ...

Dec 5, 2019, 9:22 AM

good basketball players in SC and OP left in the middle of the night ....

Ooooooops, Clemson is suburban and yes there are LOTS of good Bball players in SC and the OP thing was a decade ago ... I say extend another 5 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get the recruits.***

Dec 6, 2019, 6:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic