Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for all the play calling experts:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 2,681

Question for all the play calling experts:

Sep 9, 2018, 10:42 AM

What plays would you have called different, and why?

First of all, the bubble or tunnel screen is our bread and butter. If executed right, it’s a low risk pass play kind of like a running play. If the QB gets the ball out quickly and the WRs block effectively, it’s a sure 5 yards. Our game plan is to stretch the D North, East, and. West. We did all by throwing wide, throwing across the middle, and throwing deep .

There were three plays I would have called different. On TL’s 2nd series, we had a 2nd and 1, and we threw deep incomplete, setting up a 3rd and 1 that we didn’t get. I thought we got a a little cute there. 2nd the reverse pass by Renfro when we we rolling was way too cute. Third, on 3rd and four, up by 8 late, we ran KB for the third consecutive play. I thought a short one to HR or TH should have been the call, but understand if it’s incomplete, the clock stops.

Play calling, though, is way overrated, and execution is way underrated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That last drive that was a 3-and-out, on 2nd down...

Sep 9, 2018, 10:48 AM

...I would have done the jet sweep with Amari to the left side of the line with Hyatt leading.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Could have worked.***

Sep 9, 2018, 10:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for all the play calling experts:

Sep 9, 2018, 10:52 AM

3rd quarter:
We scored two TDs to go up 28-13, using Kelly’s arm. Spreading it around to Tee, Hunter, Diondre, and Amari. Also sprinkled in 3 ETN runs and 2 KB runs.

Do that.

4th quarter:
KB 5y pass to Amari
KB 9y run
KB incomplete forAmari
KB 2y run
KB 1y run
Punt
KB 27y run
ETN 3y run
KB -1y run
KB incomplete for Amari
Punt
KB -1y run
KB 7y run
KB 1y run
Punt

Don’t do that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Out of 15 4th qtr plays

Sep 9, 2018, 10:54 AM

8 were KB runs
3 were punts

That's pathetic.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:04 PM

No excuse for such poor play calling, even in the fourth quarter when trying to use clock.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 10, 2018, 12:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for all the play calling experts: ]

Agree! Said this in another thread. KB cannot be THE offense for us to be effective. He should be a threat, but use all our weapons.

Why did we not try to stretch the sideline on running plays?

Sep 9, 2018, 10:54 AM

Seems like with the exception of KB and ETN touchdowns all the running plays were up the middle or off tackle.

Curious.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Why did we not try to stretch the sideline on running plays?

Sep 9, 2018, 10:56 AM

I guess it’s because or online is so dominating!!!!

Well at least get it to ETN more than once

Sep 9, 2018, 10:58 AM

The entire 4th qtr. He did avg over 5yd/carry.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:56 AM

the one play I would have changed was kicking the chip shot field goal at the end of the 2nd half,instead of going for the macho TD.look at the difference it would have made toward the end of the game.so unnecessary.a maxim-never take the points off the board.wonder who made the call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Or at least run enough plays for a FG in 4th

Sep 9, 2018, 11:01 AM

Or punch out 1 first down after the fumble/touchback. 3 straight Kelly runs and punt.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for all the play calling experts: ]

We score a TD there and it's the talk of TigerNet today. We would have most likely won easily and it was a great call.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for all the play calling experts: ]

^^^^Unfortunately, you are probably correct, and the FG would have put us up another score. However, I would have made the exact same call and I even stated that I hope they plan to take 2 downs to try to score the TD when it was 3rd and goal. If we had scored that TD, it would have basically ended TAM's hopes for the "W". It would have been devastating for TAM and would have changed the rest of the play-calling. I would make the SAME call again.

Wet ball could have caused bad snap on FG just

Sep 9, 2018, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for all the play calling experts: ]

like on running play. I liked the call because I felt game over if we get it in. Still, the way A&M’s offense looked in 2nd half, they could have made a run anyway.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:01 AM

Play calling is NOT overrated. Heck, tahj boyd stated as much. You can execute all you want but if the other team knows what you’re doing (they did, Jimbo said it in post game) and they have equally or better players (they have more 4 & 5* players per Dabo post game), then you better believe scheme and calls are huge!

Sure but you don’t change your whole offense.***

Sep 9, 2018, 11:07 AM

Great coaches adapt to fit the players and situation.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:11 PM

Our co-OCs don't seem to do that, at least not regularly.

I am so tired of hearing "best is the standard" when it comes to players, but not the coaches. Was last night really our OCs best? Heck, was the entire 2017 season their best?

It is a huge problem when the other team knows what we are doing before the ball is snapped, as was the case last night.

It's easy to pat ourselves on the back for winning the ACC and making the CFP last year, but the numbers show that the defense was the main reason why. We had a significant drop off on offensive production last year, and it really hurt us in key games (the loss to Bama, as well as a few other close calls in games that shouldn't have been close).

I don't claim to know nearly as much as our coaches do about football, but I know enough to see that what we are doing on offense isn't working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Great coaches adapt to fit the players and situation.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:24 PM

And which player position has the ball in their hand every offensive play?

We have a starting QB now for 2 years that can beat you with his legs but can't beat you with his arm. And is limited when it comes to the decisions he can make.and pass plays he can execute.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:14 AM

The bubble screen with KB doesn't work and just sets him up to fail. For it to work the ball has to be put on a rope and get out quick, not be floated in there with an arcing trajectory. The receivers wind up having to wait on it and get caught before they can even move.

If we're going to continue it they ought to adjust the play so that the receivers are running towards the middle a little be as the ball is getting to them. If they catch it they are already in motion and don't have to accelerate from a stop once they touch the ball.

The team ran 59 total offensive plays last night, which is a problem in itself but of those 15 were KB runs. That's just too high a percentage. The only player who's ever really been able to carry a championship level team like that was Cam Newton. That last drive may as well have been a series of kneel downs because Jimbo and Elko knew exactly what was coming.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:19 AM

Attack the edge and the seam... that was done zero times.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:24 AM

I wish they would bring the Jumbo package back with Dex and Christian. Should have been an easy touchdown on the 4th and 1 where Kelly fumbles the snap. If he’s in the gun and has Dex and Christian leading the way I think he walks in. Personally I don’t think the o-line had it’s best night but luckily it’s still early in the year and we escaped with the W. Live and learn. They guys have a lot to work on this week and a smaller opponent in the Valley. Let’s see how they respond this week. Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That fumble on 4th and 1 was with the jumbo

Sep 9, 2018, 11:31 PM

Package. That's one reason I was so sad after the fumble! I just KNEW we had the 4th and 1 for a TD with 90 and 42 in there!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Sep 9, 2018, 10:03 PM

The same pitch Etienne scored on would ha e gone for 15 yards or more all game long until their defense adjusted. The sweep takes too long and allows db's time to recover. Let Etienne or Dixon loose in the open field while their interior lineman and two middle linebackers blitz all game long. The problem is Clemson has not had a good game plan against the blitz for 5 years. The shuffle pass last night worked great also. We ran it one time. Remember when we lost to Pitt and the ran that shuffle pass like twenty times. I was pulling my hair out. We need to find successful plays and continue to run them until we are stopped. We seem to always try to surprise the defense. If we have plays they cannot stop keep running them u til they adjust.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:13 PM

1st down play calling and execution kept us behind the chains all night. Other than the 1st down TD pass from Lawrence to Higgins, I don't remember very many plays where we got more than a yard or two. We have to get better on 1st down.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4th and goal, go shot gun and get on edge with KB and ETN***

Sep 10, 2018, 12:33 AM

Replies: 25
| visibility 2,681
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic