Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question. Can Clemson be like ND and still be in the ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Question. Can Clemson be like ND and still be in the ACC?

Jan 25, 2013, 6:13 AM

Can Clemson selectively choose which sports are to be stuck in the ACC to maintain our conference affiliation with the high academic standards schools without incurring the buyout of 50 million+ dollars penalty?

Let's say just women's basketball stays "all in" as our ACC conference tie while say football moves to another higher level conference or does the ACC require full participation of all our offered sports to be stuck in the ACC unless we were a special school such as ND which is allowed to pick and choose?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would we want that situation with the coming of playoffs?

Jan 25, 2013, 6:22 AM

We wouldn't have opportunity to participate in the conference championship game or to be crowned conference champs.

That would put us at a distinct disadvantage when the selection committee seeds for the playoffs. They've sworn to give special consideration to conference champs and the CCG would also give the CCs another win.

ND is not in the best of situations for making the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mayhem

Jan 25, 2013, 6:31 AM

No team can be like Notre Dame. Texas is close but even their brand has taken a hit. You would have to secure a contract from a network and Clemson has no national following. Notre Dame is in a league (literally) when it comes to this. Having a national following is not them same as national reconition. Notre Dame will have a hard time pulling off an independent deal that will match a conference payout...IMO.

No***

Jan 25, 2013, 6:34 AM

While the Clemson brand may be well-known nationally,

Jan 25, 2013, 6:57 AM

unfortunately, we don't have the same type of recognition afforded Notre Dame. Therefore, I believe we are better off remaining conference affiliated. Of course, discussions revolve around which conference...a topic discussed, debated, dissected and/or dissed repeatedly.

If any team currently could waive an independent flag, as relates to football, that would be Alabama, yet, they choose to remain in the SEC. That begs the question: why should ND be granted special status? As conference shuffles develop and as we approach playoffs, I think more schools will question their special status...and I would agree.

As the game of football has changed, so will the perceptions of schools, and the NCAA will be forced to address the issue. That's why I believe ND will eventually be forced into an alignment, which, hopefully, will be the ACC. The point is I usually try to avoid saying, "Never," simply because over the years, I've seen too many "Nevers" become "Oops."

Clemson's main focus, therefore, has to be our own programs and efforts for excellance, which I believe will be acknowledged by folks across the nation, including the media and coaches. And as long as we are members of the ACC, it serves us well to encourage our fellow members in their own dedication to their programs. Any organization is only successful as it serves to aid and abet its members.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, and while we may become America's darlings...

Jan 25, 2013, 7:04 AM

if we are the team to rip the NC trophy from the SEC we will never gain the contempt that America has for ND. It would take decades of being over rated and still preferred by the media for that to happen.

We would have to build a network of religious organizations to tell kids playing for Clemson is their ticket through the Pearly Gates to glean half the hate ND has.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question. Can Clemson be like ND and still be in the ACC?

Jan 25, 2013, 6:58 AM

Sorry,but Clemson does not have the"clout" that Notre Dame has.
Besides Notre Dame basically "hooked and crooked" their way into the ACC.
Only team that benefits the 50 million dollar buyout is Notre Dame because their football team can go anywhere they dang well please and not have to pay the 50 mill because their football program is not part of the ACC.

They'll play a five game ACC schedule or end up in court.

Jan 25, 2013, 7:06 AM

But you're half right.

Re: Question. Can Clemson be like ND and still be in the ACC?

Jan 25, 2013, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Question. Can Clemson be like ND and still be in the ACC? ]

wrong - they explicitly stated that the $50M buyout immediately applied to everyone, including ND.

leftie

Jan 25, 2013, 7:03 AM

I didn't know they were exempt. I would think it would be tied to the school, not just the football program. Are you sure about that because they voted for it.

Yes, right after we sign a TV deal with a major network.***

Jan 25, 2013, 11:22 AM

nm

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic