Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Quarterback competition:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Quarterback competition:

Apr 16, 2018, 10:52 AM

In two games against Alabama, DW played well - finding receivers downfield, avoiding the rush, and finding running lanes. KB did not do these things well last year. These problems were amplified when we played against better defenses. We have 4 quarterbacks that Clemson can win a lot of games with this year – we have an excellent defense. Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence have the best skills to help us win the tough games.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/453
From website data, I added the following categories; COMP%, YD/COMP, and YDS/INT.

TOTAL
PASS-YDS
RANK---NAME----TEAM-----CL---G--PAS,ATT--PAS,COM---COMP%--YD/COMP-—INT--YDS/INT—-PAS,TD-—PAS,YDS
1----Rudolph--Okla.St.--Sr--13---489-------318------65------15.4----9-------545----37------4904
2----Mayfield---Okla.---Sr--14---404-------285------71------16.2----6-------771----43------4627
3----Ferguson--Memphis--Sr--13---474-------299------63------14.2----9-------473----38------4257
4----White-----W.Ky.----Sr--13---560-------368------66------11.4----8-------522----26------4177
5----Darnold---S.Cal.---So--14---480-------303------63------13.7---13-------319----26------4143
25---Wolford--W.Forest-—Sr--12---374-------239------64------13.4----6-------532----29------3192
26----Stidham--Auburn---So--14---370-------246------66------12.8----6-------526----18------3158
44----Bryant---Clemson--Jr--14---398-------262------66-------7.0----8-------350----13------2802
46----Bentley---S.Car.--So--13---394-------245------62------11.4---12-------232----18------2794

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Coach Saban for that analysis.

Apr 16, 2018, 10:59 AM

If you are anyone else, move along.

oh, i get it, clemson80tiger, you must

Apr 16, 2018, 11:06 AM

be one of those people who doesn't want to hear anyone else's opinion unless they agree with you. This is called a discussion board, so you might try, I don't know, discussing things instead of trying to shut down opinions that differ from your own.

Re: oh, i get it, clemson80tiger, you must

Apr 16, 2018, 11:22 AM

You made the thread , and he disagreed with you in a lighthearted jab sort of way .

Where's the beef ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

i don't care if he disagrees, the beef is that he didn't

Apr 16, 2018, 11:32 AM

say WHY he disagreed. ZERO substance in his post. telling me to move along? really? that's the beef. You'd think if he disagreed with my opinion, that he'd be able to at least come up with a couple counter points. *sigh*

Oh you want substance?

Apr 16, 2018, 11:47 AM

Watson was on a different Clemson team than Bryant.

Watson played against a different Alabama team than Bryant.

The only commonalies are the team names and the fact that watson also came up short against Alabama the 1st time they played.

You have no, none, zilch proof that any qb on clemson's roster has the skills to beat 2018 anybody, let alone Alabama...except KB who beat 12 teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Oh you want substance?

Apr 16, 2018, 11:59 AM

ok, I was wrong, I actually liked it better when you didn't have any "substance" lol. you can't see what's right in front of you. KB overthrowing people (not just in the spring game, but a lot last year too), while Hunter and Trevor are throwing back shoulder routes and 50 yard TD's, and yet your conclusion is that we don't know any better at this point....oh boy

You are doing the same thing you criticize people

Apr 16, 2018, 12:12 PM

For doing. This makes you a hypocritic.

You did not argue with any any of the facts I posted so I take it you must agree with all of them.

Lastly, I am fortunate to be a fan. I don't have to break down film, recruit players, create rosters, call players, run, throw, or catch balls.

All I got to do is donate to iptay, show up to games, and cheer for whatever clemson team is playing. I have the easiest role in college athletics.

The only thing I have to see is the team I am watching.

Fyi.. tucker was the best qb in last year's glorified spring practice.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

ok....

Apr 16, 2018, 12:28 PM

to address your points:

1) all the stuff about being a fan and you not having to coach or catch passes. who cares? that doesn't mean fans can't be reasonably concerned about this stuff. this is part of the fun--it means we care. we all have opinions on it, and that's not a bad thing. we won't make the decision about the starting QB, but we'll definitely discuss it a lot--and there ain't nothin' wrong with that.

2) You said a lot of true statements, but I don't think they change my point of view. DW was on a different team at Clemson, and he did play a different Alabama team, but that doesn't have anything to do with KB missing wide open people all of last year and in the spring game. He missed a bunch of throws against other teams as well. Our sample size for KB isn't limited to one game (against Alabama), but we've been able to evaluate him for a year. And my conclusion after a year is that he doesn't throw the ball well, and that's an important aspect of playing his position.

3) A lot of stats have been used in this thread to try to be factual and all that. but i really think it's unnecessary, because if you watched the games last year, it was pretty clear that KB struggled to throw the ball, and I don't need a bunch of statistics to show me that, just thought they might help people like you who are struggling to get it hahaha

Re: ok....

Apr 16, 2018, 1:45 PM

Those misses have been glaringly obvious on national TV.

Tell 'em coot

Apr 16, 2018, 2:05 PM

Re: You are doing the same thing you criticize people

Apr 16, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to You are doing the same thing you criticize people ]

And, we aren't paid millions of dollars per year either----or live in mansions.

Re: Oh you want substance?

Apr 16, 2018, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Oh you want substance? ]

Just for the sake of clarity:

The Bama teams Watson played were better on defense.

Watson was certainly on a different team (much of that due to him).

He did come up short (remember he was without Williams and Cain in 2015), KB didn't come up "short," by any stretch of the imagination. It was much worse than that.

The proof that any QB on our roster could be anyone is due to the defense we have, which helped KB tremendously to beat those 12 teams last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoy reading uneducated, poorly substantiated opinions

Apr 16, 2018, 11:40 AM [ in reply to oh, i get it, clemson80tiger, you must ]

That's 1 of the reasons I come to tnet .
Your post met expectations.

Re: Quarterback competition:

Apr 16, 2018, 11:20 AM

13 pass TD's isn't even good its pretty bad IMHO 20 is a minimum for good because it means about 2 per game which isn't asking for a lot (again IMHO) especially for a contender

Apr 16, 2018, 11:24 AM

In 8 games (really like 6.5 given the injuries mid games) DW4 threw for 14 TD's, just for reference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2018, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Quarterback competition: ]

He ran for a few though , and our RBs made a ton of long TD runs . Not in defense of KB as the proposed starter , just pointing at how his TD passing #s could be a little low due to an outstanding run game , himself included.

DB23

Apr 16, 2018, 11:36 AM

While it's true he had a few rushing TD's, I think that mostly just confuses the main point....which is that KB has never shown to consistently move the offense, especially through the air (which becomes glaringly obvious when we play good teams). There are at least two guys (Hunter and Trevor) who are light years ahead of where he is.

Apr 16, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Quarterback competition: ]

I would assume our running back TDs are down since most of our rushing TDs last year were Bryant's part. Most of Bryant's TDs could have easily been passing TDs by a good QB or rushing TDs from a good RB.

Not bad, as far as playoff qb's go only

Apr 16, 2018, 11:56 AM

Baker Mayfield was higher on the list than KB.

Re: Not bad, as far as playoff qb's go only

Apr 16, 2018, 12:07 PM

well, I don't think pointing out that he was similar to Jalen Hurts really helps out the case for KB. Jalen Hurts can't throw downfield either haha

Re: Not bad, as far as playoff qb's go only

Apr 16, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Not bad, as far as playoff qb's go only ]

....and as far Fromm at UGA, they had an elite running game with their RB's, so he wasn't required to do a whole lot, especially as a young player

Apr 16, 2018, 12:50 PM

I agree. Hopefully the coaches will have TL and HJ at the top of the depth chart this fall.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic