Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Putnam is supposedly delaying decision.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Putnam is supposedly delaying decision.

Dec 14, 2018, 1:24 PM

If we lsoe this guy to FSU, our OL recruiting has to change.

I love Caldwell and his coaching is great. But we can't continue to survive on fallback prosepects along the OL.

He can certainly coach them up, but we don't lose guys that we want at any other position to the degree that we lose guys on the OL.

It's pretty wild how rare it is that we snag our top picks along the OL relative to all other positions.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

However, we are in good shape for some 2020

Dec 14, 2018, 1:34 PM

guys along the OL who are high on our board

And we still may get Putnam. But man, it has just been a struggle.

Good news is with early enrollees now, we can play some freshman and be ok along the OL whereas 10 years ago that's a bad idea.

So we should be ok in 2020 but just getting a little dicey.

Good grief..why delay since why would an OLineman desire playing for Noles?!

Dec 14, 2018, 1:38 PM

Unreal to me! Is it to do with our very limited selection of Olinemen to NFL?

Just come play good ball on a Top 5 team & the NFL scouts will find you!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson will have to let some of the OL play at RB & WR

Dec 14, 2018, 1:36 PM

like Big Dex and CW#42

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I know is 4 ACC Champs and CFP appearances in a row

Dec 14, 2018, 1:37 PM

Re: All I know is 4 ACC Champs and CFP appearances in a row

Dec 14, 2018, 1:44 PM

Hasn’t gotten an FSU CB since June. With the mess at FSU and Auburn, there’s no reason we shouldn’t land him.

I'm not criticizing coaches at all. It's just crazy

Dec 14, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to All I know is 4 ACC Champs and CFP appearances in a row ]

That our miss rate on OL is just really really high compared to other positions. And I mean missing on our top guys on our board.

We've done great evaluating fallback guys and coaching them up. But I'm sure the coaches are also frustrated that they put time in recruiting these guys and they choose UGA or Auburn or whatever. Even SCar with Bailey

i wonder what the trick is...theres some sales pitch

Dec 14, 2018, 1:37 PM

that these schools use against Clemson at the end that always seems to work. Jackson Carmen didn't buy it but all the other 20 have. Hopefully thats just my pessimism taking over but i just wonder if there's any truth to it. Worked on Salyer, Webb, Mayes, Bailey, etc...but on the flip side whatever we sell on the WR DL and QB front is Gold. I'm assuming its NFL draft picks but i'm not sure.

OL recruits can't figure out how to use Coinbase***

Dec 14, 2018, 1:41 PM

He said all along he would wait until his

Dec 14, 2018, 1:40 PM

Grandparents returned from vacation. Clemson uses team recruiting so it’s not all on Caldwell, and this has been a 35 year problem.

Re: Putnam is supposedly delaying decision.

Dec 14, 2018, 1:45 PM

OL is hard to recruit. Quality skill players out number quality OL every year so the distribution is no where near equal. Some years you can throw a blanket over the top 200 skill players because they are so even. Not so with OL. Maybe 25 to 50 top 4* and 5* OL to spread around 70 or so Power 5 schools. It makes it hard to lock those up. At least the Tigers have an OL coach who can coach them up. It looked like FSU had recruited a strong OL and they look like busts or no quality coaching.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty crazy. Every starter on our team made the All-ACC

Dec 14, 2018, 1:50 PM

team, either first team (Hyatt) second team (3 of them) or third team (1). There are 15 spots for 70 “starters” in the ACC, and we got five of them. Clearly our coaching staff knows how to develop them. Then you get to play for a top notch coaching staff, go to the playoffs, etc. it’s not like NFL scouts won’t take an OLinemen if he went to Clemson. :)

null

U Stupid ? ANY delay helps Clemson

Dec 14, 2018, 1:50 PM

He's been FSU/Auburn all along. Any delay helps Clemson.Guess those that whine about everything don't realize that.

Re: U Stupid ? ANY delay helps Clemson

Dec 14, 2018, 1:54 PM

Yep, real problem with OL. Man, some of you need to get a reality check. Something has to change????? LOL 4 losses in 4 years and some of you think you know more than the staff? Sheeeeeeesh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No offense intended, and this isn't a flame, but...

Dec 14, 2018, 4:19 PM

It's not about some fans thinking they know more than the coaching staff. The staff is recruiting these top OL and they very much want to sign them, but can't. Fans and the staff are on the same page. The staff is recruiting players the fans also want. The problem is they can't seem to close the deal with most of the top OL. You're fooling yourself if you think the coaching staff isn't just as frustrated as the fans.

Maybe but not necessarily true

Dec 14, 2018, 1:57 PM [ in reply to U Stupid ? ANY delay helps Clemson ]

We were his last OV and his last in home. So the delay actually could be our detriment

FSU claims he is delaying to see who the new OC

Dec 14, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to U Stupid ? ANY delay helps Clemson ]

Will be before making a decision.

I think Caldwell's results speak for itself.

But you're crazy if you don't think our coaching staff is frustrated with our OL recruiting.

We are great at evals. But we've missed on a high percentage of our top guys. That's just a fact. And that doesn't mean we're gonna suck.

It's just a mystery.

Re: FSU claims he is delaying to see who the new OC

Dec 14, 2018, 2:54 PM

Unfortunately we only have less than one OL make an NFL roster per year on average, and they are not ones that really stand out. This should change in the coming years but that's what other coaches probably use against us, is we don't put OL in the League.

Dec 14, 2018, 3:48 PM [ in reply to U Stupid ? ANY delay helps Clemson ]

Completely disagree. If Clemson was the choice, there is no reason to delay.

My read is he wants FSU to convince him to come there. A new OC will tell him what he wants to hear. FSU bound, most likely.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 4:53 PM

We could still wind up getting him but this isn't a positive development.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic