Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Punt Returns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,115

Punt Returns

Oct 19, 2016, 9:34 PM

Is it legal to have two guys back to return punts? I have always thought that one could tell the other whether or not the ball should be returned or fair caught--that way, the one who is looking to catch the ball to run ( or not run ) can focus only on catching the ball...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Punt Returns

Oct 19, 2016, 9:46 PM

I can't answer that, but I saw something last week that was interesting on a punt return. There was one guy that was on the right side acting like he was going to catch the punt, while the one on the left side of the field actually caught the punt. Several defenders went for the guy faking the catch. I'm not sure that I've ever seen that before, but it seemed to work a little bit (but not all that much since all the defenders didn't fall for it).

Re: Punt Returns

Oct 20, 2016, 8:29 AM

It's acceptable to have two back. Many HS teams did this years ago and I really thought it was a great idea. One of the issues that I see is there is a greater possibility of confusion on who will actually field the punt and a possibility that one raises his hand for a fair catch and the other ends up catching it and attempting a return. This would be a penalty.

My bigger issue with what we have done all year is "pretending to rush the kicker" while not blocking anyone and then getting caught behind the line of scrimmage as no help in return coverage. I figure they have 4 behind the line, that means we only have 7 men to block and have 10 to get the job done. How in the world can you let so many guys downfield an be right on top of the punt returner when he catches the punt.

I will say this... this is not a Clemson thing, it happens everywhere. So it must be easier said than done...

remember this one?

Oct 20, 2016, 8:34 AM

https://youtu.be/SU0vCDfeGF0

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,115
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic