Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Poor ACC BB Attendance was appalling & disappointing to this Tiger who helped sponsor..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,328

Poor ACC BB Attendance was appalling & disappointing to this Tiger who helped sponsor..

May 27, 2018, 10:56 AM

the Greenville tournament back in the mid 80’s (thru ads in the game program for my Long Life Lighting franchise biz located there).

The attendance was unreal & one could hardly get in..and the noise was rowdy & continuous..and fans from all the schools as well as baseball loving locals (Coots too) attended.

One reason the Big4 Tar Heel schools complained & finally got it moved.

If you look at who was the ACC Champion in those days when it was played in a new Greenville park (located out towards Simpsonville side of G’ville, i believe) one might find that Clemson did NOT win all the time.

Know it was NOT Flour Field which is uptown near my old high school on Augusta Rd.

YeP, i can see the uproar from other teams not liking the old Greenville location but this pitifully attended location in Durham & 8 miles from Tar Heels is almost criminal!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Poor ACC BB Attendance was appalling & disappointing to this Tiger who helped sponser..

May 27, 2018, 11:06 AM

This kind of $hit has been the norm ever since I can remember. I continuously get reminded of why we don't win in basketball in chapel hill. SMH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Poor ACC BB Attendance

May 27, 2018, 11:07 AM

Durham Bulls stadium holds 10,000 people. There was a great crowd there last night for a game with no local teams that had a strong threat of thunder storms. When 4-5 thousand fans scatter out in a 10K facility, it can appear sparse. Flour Field in Greenville would have appeared full with that same crowd.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What?

May 27, 2018, 11:22 AM

BULL!

Were you there last night?

May 27, 2018, 12:03 PM

I was.

Everything I said is a fact.

Bulls stadium holds 10K while Flour Field holds 6.5K ...

There were 4-5,000 fans at the game last night. The crowd would have looked great at Flour Field with no more attendance.

Would Clemson draw better in Greenville? Of course.

I would love to see the tournament in Greenville.

But, the Durham venue did not hurt Clemsons chances to win in any way. And it hasn’t helped local North Carolina teams either judging from the results.

Florida State vs Louisville today will have lousy attendance for a title game. But, what would that game have drawn in Greenville?

Re: Were you there last night?

May 27, 2018, 1:44 PM

FYI when the tournament was in Greenville it was at the old Greenville braves stadium which held upwards 12000 when packed out. Greenville is considered a baseball town (Greenville drive lead the league in attendance). Many Clemson and non-Clemson fans attended other team games simply to watch baseball.
While I agree Fluor field would be an awesome venue, every game would be sold out, thus considered too small. I agree with some other posters that Charlotte knights stadium would probably be the best venue and more convenient for most team fans.

Re: Were you there last night?

May 27, 2018, 1:52 PM

I know where it was in the 1980s-90s, but that facility is gone.

I was only referring to the facility that is available in Greenville today.

Totally concur that the enthusiasm for baseball is better in Greenville than Durham.

However, I don't for a minute believe that 6.5K would have attended every match-up in Greenville last week.

I'm all for moving to Charlotte.

Amen brother!

May 27, 2018, 11:21 AM

Well finally somebody has the gumption to site the “elephant in the park” That huge NC stadium was empty all week! Yet we were told by all the announcers what a great environment blah blah blah! AND I remember so fondly the packed and exciting tournaments in Greenville! And no Clemson didn’t always win but you cannot tell Tobacco Road the facts because facts don’t seem to matter.

^ mamagtiger, See you’ve been around TNet since~>

May 27, 2018, 11:48 AM

2003!

Come out & play more often since you seem feisty & bull-headed too. LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Poor ACC BB Attendance was appalling & disappointing to this Tiger who helped sponsor..

May 27, 2018, 12:40 PM

LBB--Just a friendly reminder. Sure the Tobacco Road ACC members wanted top get it out of Greenville.
But the biggest whiner about playing the tourney in Greenville suburbs was FSU's Mike Martin. continuously bad-mouthed our hometown with claims of prejudice against all Clemson opponents in that venue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Thx Bob for reminder

May 27, 2018, 1:15 PM

and are you now 80 since out of Tigertown in 1960 i see (me 1963 but went in service & finally out in 66).

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,328
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic