Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Police officers and their role
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Police officers and their role

Jun 6, 2020, 8:45 AM

Many people are calling for reform of police officers tactics on the street. With the death of George Floyd and the death of the young white man who had a small amount of pot.

But I wish the same people who are calling for reform would work as a police officer for a month. Maybe walking in the shoes of the other person will change your prospective. Dealing with people who are combative when you first speak with them, violently resisting arrest, having to chase people at high speeds and running after people who may just turn around and shoot you.

I DO believe there must be reform but I also believe there needs to be change in the community about attitudes towards the Police Departments. Respect on both sides could go a long way towards the reform so many are seeking. Legislating change can only do so much.

If you really want change do not ONLY look at the police also look in the mirror.

Respect can change the attitude of the worst person, even if you have done nothing wrong.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Police officers and their role

Jun 6, 2020, 8:50 AM

I think more cops just need to leave people alone. If someone has an open container or a smoking a J, the cops don't need to be involved. They just need to focus on real crimes.

Jun 6, 2020, 8:53 AM

Right now, those are real crimes in our state.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No greater sin than smoking a J

Jun 6, 2020, 1:02 PM

....kill 'em on sight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

tbh im friends with a few cops

Jun 6, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

and my brother in law is a cop. none of them care if you have a joint or a tiny amount of weed on you. younger cops dont seem to care about it as much as veterans.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

That is a crime dumba$$

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

what an assine answer. No doubt there are and has been some dumb stuff done by police officers. It might be that the black communities should also look at themselves and see what they can do to help. Liberals expect others to change in order to help. 75 percent of black births are outside families,millions has been spent on head start trying to help minorities get ahead or catch up. They are still not up to par because they get no involvement from a home life. Change you bet all of us need some but don't put it on others to get you up and seeking an education or job. You got to help yourself also and that hasn't been done.

Again, I don’t entirely disagree with your answer. But I have recently read more on slavery by

Jun 6, 2020, 12:07 PM

Reading Hamilton and then George Washington by Chernow. Great but long reads. Slavery is not 100% to blame but think about what it did to families. First of all grown men were taken, separated from their families, typically by fellow Africans and many were separated from their families. Not all, but many. Then, they are sold, bought, get to America. In order to survive you start other families. Then at the Master’s will, slaves are traded and sold away from their wives and children. Again, I’m not saying it’s the full deal. But why are we surprised there are broken families when this country started off building many of its economical fortunes, buildings, etc etc on the backs of blacks and their families. There should be some understanding and sympathy for that. Now once you understand that and get that behavior is a means of survival and lasts generations, then I will agree with you. We need to help support and then more black men need to step up and make a choice to be a family. I’m white so I get I probably shouldn’t say that but I believe it to be true. It takes all of us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Again, I don’t entirely disagree with your answer. But I have recently read more on slavery by

Jun 6, 2020, 5:11 PM

Lots of blame to go round re slavery.

But how do we move past it? Poor white dads were just as footloose as black dads during sharecropping days. Very few could stay with their families year round, because they had to go where the work was.

Our biggest difficulty today is our inability to teach young (mostly) men better values or behavior without making them feeling condemned for what they are right now. When an Iowa player says he was discouraged from wearing tank tops that showed his tats in the football complex, he now identifies that as 'being black'; he was discouraged from 'acting black.'

How do you instruct young men in the importance of being a good father if they are worried about being judged for 'acting black'?

I'll answer my own question: you d o like Dabo does. You tell the parents what you pla n to teach from a values perspective, you hire and train coaches who model and reinforce good behavior (some from a religious perspective,
others stress the importance of family) you stress good values and you don't fight over unimportant things. Let young men be their own person.

Jun 6, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

So you are saying that they should choose which laws to enforce and which to ignore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

That will be fine until one of those drunks or potheads run into your A$$ going 100 mph down the highway......you never cease to amaze me with for BS liberal crap......Go Tigers!!’!

So you favor them selectively enforcing the laws? What

Jun 6, 2020, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

could possibly go wrong?

Jun 7, 2020, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

A few minutes ago I was driving the interstate. I saw a highway patrolman all up under the hood trying to fix a car for 2 black teens. The cop was white. No he was not looking for weed. He was being a Good Samaritan.

Jun 6, 2020, 8:50 AM

????

Jun 6, 2020, 11:49 AM

??????

I don’t disagree with you. But police officers are there to protect and to serve.

Jun 6, 2020, 8:57 AM

To me they have to hold themselves to a higher standard than the public. I wholeheartedly agree they are put into situations I’d never dream of. But I see all to often, not saying a majority but often enough, policeman being hired that should never be police offers and then training that is lacking. I think policemen should be taught more how to deescalate situations. It is not infrequent that they in fact do the opposite. One of the best examples of police work that I’ve seen on video was the arrest of Bashaud Breeland. In the context of today, think how quickly that could have escalated to his death. When you have someone in custody, with handcuffs lying face down, that is enough force. I have a brother in law who is a Little Rock policeman and he’s been through some tough moments. But he’s one of the ones who has common sense, doesn’t think he’s a bad ### and wants to prove it, and he’s well trained. To my knowledge he has never escalated to a point to put all in a dangerous situation. Not saying he’s perfect and I believe that to be the majority. But there are those who escalate. I’ve been stopped by many a policeman most just doing their job unemotional. But then I’ve been stopped by some real ###### who seemed
To get off on their job. They made me feel adrenaline, fear, anger when it wasn’t there before. I can only imagine what people Who don’t look like me would feel like in an encounter with the law. So ultimately I agree with you, attitude towards police should change. BUT our protectors need to be Better candidates with better training and better understanding of when not to escalate a situation. I get that’s a complex problem because it may mean better pay and a lot of people don’t want the job to begin with. I certainly don’t.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Jun 6, 2020, 9:00 AM

Agree. CBS just ran a story about traffic stops in North Carolina. The data showed blacks were twice as likely to be stopped and less likely to be ticketed. Also whites more likely to have contraband. Blacks should not be stopped for driving black. I will say in the small town I live in, black or white, don’t be surprised if you get pulled while driving at 2 A.M. Just cause.
But let’s also show all the statistics about policing.,Not just the ones that fit the narrative.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 9:21 AM

At 2am, there is a good chance you been drinking. However, that is not a reason to stop you. A head light or tail light out gives them reason to stop you and check you out. It’s profiling because bars close at two and you’re out driving. I got pulled 3 times in one night at Auburn because my daughter's car headlight was out. Sometimes they look for reasons to stop you. Don’t break the law and you probably will never have a problem with police.

But...wut about our right to break the law and resist arrest?***

Jun 6, 2020, 9:31 AM

Jun 6, 2020, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

It’s worth noting getting pulled over after the bars closed may be intrusive but I would hope the officer’s intent is to try one more night to save someone’s life. Dealing with a person who is intoxicated is no joy for the police.

Jun 6, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

In my small home town we have a small college. After football games the cops set up license checks around the stadium to bust people. That’s just looking for trouble. A lot of these things are unnecessary. Cops push to many buttons that don’t need to be pushed.

Jun 6, 2020, 5:56 PM

The only people likely "busted" during a licenses check is someone driving drunk or with an outstanding warrant. In each case, the person deserves to be "busted."

Jun 6, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

There are no statics or narratives in my post. Just a statement that both sides need to show respect. If Both sides show respect then change will happen. But it is not one sided.

What's wrong with people, thinking they can

Jun 6, 2020, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

drive around at 2 AM?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are way too reasonable.***

Jun 6, 2020, 9:37 AM

Jun 6, 2020, 10:22 AM

There are several logical, reasonable and solid common sense post on this thread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 11:07 AM

Agree Zee Gantt, many do want a reasonable discussion. The problem with others they want to have a simple answer to a very complex problem. Solutions require work by all parties to make progress. I stop reading when a poster starts blaming liberals, media, hate groups on both sides etc. Problems get solved when good people ( most people) work at give and take in good faith, not with pea brains that scream about absolutes that they can not see past. Socrates said "wisdom is knowing that you do not know". Opinions are great but they are not facts and listening not judging can help us to solutions. A diverse nations requires tolerance and at least civil disagreement.

Amazing isn't it?***

Jun 6, 2020, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Police officers and their role ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 10:49 AM

Thank you. A little common sense always work with people who have some and most of the time with
humans that do not have any.

Jun 6, 2020, 11:52 AM

You might want to read the following letter, one of the best I have ever read.It puts a bit of reality into the conversation.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/op-ed/bs-ed-op-0603-letter-cop-protester-20200603-vzznpesjw5fu3p3fwrkxhja3cq-story.html

Jun 6, 2020, 11:57 AM

Don't disagree with anything you said. I had a fraternity brother who was a cop for a while so I wanted to add something he told me.

There is a lot of genuine sadness with being a police officer seeing people who have gotten hurt or even killed all the time.

They put themselves in harm's way without a huge paycheck to keep the peace and us safe.

The honest good ones are to be admired and revered. The bad ones shamed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 12:16 PM

Tonight I'll flip to A&E and watch a portion of the police show that will be on. This will provide an eye opener to real life situations. If someone is driving erratic it may be because they are impaired. It's good to get them off the road to prevent an accident. And there are cases where the impairment is medically related. In this case they are not only helping the driver but possibly preventing an accident. One episode showed a driver who was fleeing from the police and narrowly missed several serious accidents but was finally stopped by having an accident that did not involve anyone else and did not suffer serious injuries. He had a medical problem and was not aware of any of his actions. The show does give insight to the varied and demanding situations they encounter.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2020, 7:05 PM

Joe21® said:

Tonight I'll flip to A&E and watch a portion of the police show that will be on. This will provide an eye opener to real life situations. If someone is driving erratic it may be because they are impaired. It's good to get them off the road to prevent an accident. And there are cases where the impairment is medically related. In this case they are not only helping the driver but possibly preventing an accident. One episode showed a driver who was fleeing from the police and narrowly missed several serious accidents but was finally stopped by having an accident that did not involve anyone else and did not suffer serious injuries. He had a medical problem and was not aware of any of his actions. The show does give insight to the varied and demanding situations they encounter.

Catch those shows while you can. Some if not all of them are being taken off the air.

They don't fit the narrative.

"...would work as a police officer for a month."

Jun 6, 2020, 12:59 PM

Do I get to dress up in my camo and military gear, walk around Clemson with my AR-15 (with my finger on the trigger), pretending I'm in Afghanistan (even though I couldn't make the cut in the army) harassing people for no reason?

Re: "...would work as a police officer for a month."

Jun 6, 2020, 1:32 PM

Why would you think this is acceptable behavior?

Ask the wanna be Marines on gameday.***

Jun 6, 2020, 9:19 PM

Re: "...would work as a police officer for a month."

Jun 6, 2020, 4:31 PM [ in reply to "...would work as a police officer for a month." ]

You can, but be prepared to be taken down.

Only at football games***

Jun 6, 2020, 6:09 PM [ in reply to "...would work as a police officer for a month." ]

It’s a hard job

Jun 6, 2020, 1:54 PM

More training needed on how to de-escalate situations and recognize risk.

Guy crawling on knees with hands in the air? Doesn’t need to be shot.

Guy detained, handcuffed and not a risk? Doesn’t need someone to sit on his throat to death.

Someone refusing to get out of their car? Probably doesn’t need to be tased or shot immediately.

People looting and destroying businesses need to be stopped. People hanging out in middle of street holding signs don’t need to be shot

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how many blacks. .

Jun 6, 2020, 8:31 PM

have been killed by other blacks since George died ?

They don't care about that.***

Jun 7, 2020, 9:55 AM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic