Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Points for GT (I know I'm no Dabo Swinney but...)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Points for GT (I know I'm no Dabo Swinney but...)

Oct 17, 2017, 5:56 PM

As we all know Friday night was a disaster, but Georgia Tech will not be a pushover either. Dabo knows some things have to change because that nasty triple-option offense is coming to town. So here are some things I believe could help. (But obviously I am not Dabo so what do I know)

- Syracuse DOMINATED the time of possession battle and GT most likely do the same next Sat. as they are #2 in the nation in time of possession. But to counter that we HAVE to get some big plays to get 7 points on the board. Whether it be a long run by Feaster or a pick-six, this team builds off momentum. Even if our offense can't be on the field for long 4-7 minute drives as GT will be, it can still be successful by creating big plays to keep the crowd into it.
- We need to incorporate the passing game back into this offense. Right now our offense is centered around the run game and defenses are keying in on Feaster and Travis. But whether it be Kelly, HJ, or even Zerrick, the coaches need to trust the quarterback to throw the ball down the field and not little 5-yard dump offs. Getting that deep ball back like we had last year and even some at the beginning of this season should overall improve our play as well. GT is tied for 84th in the nation in interceptions so they obviously aren't going to be picking every pass off. So this game should give Deon and company an ability to get that deep ball working again... B/C you know what they say... Chicks dig the long ball (and deep ball)
- Lastly, the mass substitution situation should be monitored I believe. I am all for giving guys the chance to play and earn their stripes, BUT subbing our starters out throughout the game is hurting us. I know it builds depth for the latter part of the season, but taking out the best available players means giving the other team an advantage. That will be no different this week b/c of the triple option. I think the starters and veterans have to play more because you can't just throw some inexperienced underclassman on the field against Paul Johnson or they will tear you up. At least waiting until we have a good 3 possession lead in the 4th quarter is when I'd like to see the backup guys, unless of injuries or other circumstances.

I know this team has questions and still has some discussion over who the QB should be, but this is a winning team. I think if we can get guys like Muse and Ray-Ray to play at their top potential and get some of their kinks out, we can especially be clicking on all cylinders. Now I am not qualified to coach a middle school football team, let along the defending national champs, but those were just a few points I thought about while looking at the GT matchup. I think with the extra week, Dabo will have the boys ready to go and hopefully, we can bounce back in a big way and win out. Let me know what ya'll think, Go tigers

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think if we play defense the way we have the past

Oct 17, 2017, 5:57 PM

few games with them we will be fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish the Tnet coaches could agree on the path forward

Oct 17, 2017, 6:13 PM

Half seem to think we gave up on the run too soon against Syracuse. Then there's the other Tnet coaches calling for more passing... but no bubble screens. Throw in those who clamor for more HUNH (hurry up no huddle), "eye candy shifting" pre snap, and, well, it's just mass confusion here in the Tnet coaches lounge. Maybe we should stick with the coaches that won the National Championship last year and get paid to do this full time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: I wish the Tnet coaches could agree on the path forward

Oct 17, 2017, 6:17 PM

I think I'm going to have to agree with ya there, I would sadly have to say most of us aren't quite at Dabo's level when it comes to coaching

It's hilarious isn't it? And mosr say they're being

Oct 18, 2017, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I wish the Tnet coaches could agree on the path forward ]

"realistic".

Problem is, you can't have two sides of reality.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

completely shut down the run

Oct 17, 2017, 6:29 PM

Passing is not their thing
No pick six until they throw it And they don't do that much. How many passes did they have against Miami? I can recall only a few when I watched it.
Linebacker play must be first rate in this game. Time for Wilkins to play like a top ten pick!

Re: Points for GT (I know I'm no Dabo Swinney but...)

Oct 17, 2017, 6:38 PM

I just love armchair Head Coaches!

Oct 17, 2017, 8:26 PM

Yea,. It's a guy thing!

You're right coach leftie

Oct 18, 2017, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Points for GT (I know I'm no Dabo Swinney but...) ]

You never try to push your opinions on the board. More should follow your example.

Riiight...

As long as Lawrence and Wilkins shut down the dive...

Oct 17, 2017, 6:53 PM

I'm not worried.

Their offense crumbles when the dive is stuffed.

Re: As long as Lawrence and Wilkins shut down the dive...

Oct 17, 2017, 6:57 PM

I agree. it looked to happen last week with Miami. I think with our defensive line and their athleticism that we can clog up any holes for GT's run game.

Not Dabo??!! I'm going to stop following you. Could've sworn

Oct 17, 2017, 7:06 PM

you were Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know how you say our offense is centered around the run game

Oct 17, 2017, 8:49 PM

Our running backs had a total of what, 15 carries last week? Feaster and Ettienne had about six each!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that because we were trying to throw too

Oct 18, 2017, 9:44 AM

much, or was it because Syracuse kept the ball plus we couldn't convert 3rd downs?

I'll hang up and listen.

Oct 17, 2017, 9:42 PM

Your are correct you are no Dabo!
You do not have 2 National Title game appearances and One National Championship!
You have not won over 90 games in 9 years!
You are somewhat arrogant and loud mouthed though!!!

Oct 17, 2017, 10:32 PM

Dang, that was a bit uncalled for.

Oct 18, 2017, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Points for GT (I know I'm no Dabo Swinney but...) ]

I'm sorry I gave my opinion. as I stated many times I am not close to Dabo, but I believe I am allowed to say what I think about the team just as you are. Have a good day, sir.

Oct 18, 2017, 10:54 AM

I have reread your post. I apologize for the harsh remark. What I do not change my mind on is the crying and bellyaching and the questioning of coaches that have taken this team to unprecedented levels. The method of substitution and the schemes on offense and defense have been working just fine and there is no need to jump ship over 1 game.
I rewatched the game yesterday, far too many missed tackles and busted coverages and penalties ( some were questionable)on Defense.
They will work it out! If they don't then I will still be pulling for the Tigers!

Oct 18, 2017, 11:34 AM

I was entertained reading his post at work. He is allowed to share his opinion, as are you. And I did not see him mention he was about to jump ship or quit on Clemson. Maybe you should stick with the articles.

When was the last time the triple option actually gave us trouble?

Oct 17, 2017, 11:03 PM

2012/2013? Venables has that style of offense shut down. Even when GT has their best offensive production under Pawl Johnson (last year?), we shut them down easy. Trust me, after this past Friday, the way our defense played, they're more than likely doing more up-downs than they'd like these next 2 weeks.

Overall, defensively, I'm not concerned in the slightest for this game. Offensively you have a point. We do need the deep ball back in the offense. But maybe not for this game exactly. You don't want to contradict yourself in the fact they live off T.O.P. If we score quickly we are just giving them the ball right back. I think 3 minute drives will suffice to give the defense a quick breather to do another 3 & out. The time we need the deep ball in this game would be early in the fact we need to jump up a couple scores on them. Triple option isn't a comeback from behind offense. We jump to a 3 score lead, I'd consider the game to over at that point (granted we score a few more TD's along the way to solidify it.)

Interceptions will be at a premium this game because they throw it maybe 4 times a game unless they're in desperate need of a comeback. Be surprised if we have any INTS. Fumbles are what you should look for here. Our d-line will absolutely destroy them and rattle their QB early and often, I could see some bad handoffs or a big hit jarring the ball loose.

GT hasn't worried me as a team since 2011 when we didn't have a defense at all and our offense was being inconsistent in the latter part of the year.

We score early and often, control the lines of scrimmage, we're fine.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When was the last time that Syracuse gave us trouble?

Oct 18, 2017, 9:31 AM

We need to step up and play like Tigers. I agree that Coach V knows how to stop Tech, but we cannot assume that this game is in the bag.

Re: When was the last time that Syracuse gave us trouble?

Oct 18, 2017, 10:44 AM

Of course the game isn't in the bag, that's why it's played. Just saying, a run heavy offense is perfect for our defense to stop. I don't know many teams that were going to stop Syracuse that night defensively. They were going at a speed that haven't seen since Chip Kelly at Oregon and even then it seemed faster.

Spread offense is more capable of beating our Tiger team than a triple oprion attack. I'm looking at this logically and not hypothetically.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When was the last time the triple option actually gave us trouble?

Oct 18, 2017, 9:54 AM [ in reply to When was the last time the triple option actually gave us trouble? ]

when was the last time syracuse gave us trouble?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2017, 9:35 AM

Our linemen need to get their ugly back. We occasionally play fast so the other team can’t send in players and they get tired, but our defense was lost last week not being able to substitute

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

maybe we can get Deshaun back

Oct 18, 2017, 9:46 AM

Elliot and Scott looked brilliant when he was there

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

The bored is still waiting for you to find your Deshaun...

Oct 18, 2017, 9:52 AM

moran.

How goes jb?

every day a little better than the day before

Oct 18, 2017, 9:57 AM

which makes this the greatest day of my life by definition

Still planning my coup de etat of the football program to land myself in Dabo's new digs where I can live like a king but still preach my own view of christianity

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Well then, you should be rolling by the weekend and how

Oct 18, 2017, 10:03 AM

many different views are there now?

Casa del Dabo appears to be is on a hill, elevated; nice place for your pulpit.

i bet i could create a lovely basement dungeon

Oct 18, 2017, 10:05 AM

and have my cult meetings in secret

How have you been?

We could pass the plate for a good cause, I mean, RbU...

Oct 18, 2017, 10:15 AM

always had fine things to say about your basement.

I've been grand, jb, difficult to complain.

hes still in there....goes by JBU now tho***

Oct 18, 2017, 10:16 AM

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic