Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Kick-off Returns; Conn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Kick-off Returns; Conn

May 18, 2018, 9:47 AM

Kick-off Returns; Conn

Email Bag

In this format, we will publish your comments and answer your questions. To submit a comment or questions, please email me at mickeyplyler@hotmail.com.

Mickey,

It seemed that most Clemson football team's kickoff returns did not get to the 25-yard line last seas

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Kick-off Returns; Conn

May 18, 2018, 10:15 AM

Why would you even consider a fair catch on a kickoff? That would be a disaster. Kicks into the end zone can be downed by knee and you get the ball at the twenty five but a fair catch would place the ball where it is caught if not in the end zone. Returns were not a major issue this past season

New rule... fair catch on kickoff same as touchback

May 18, 2018, 11:16 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/new-ncaa-rule-turns-any-fair-catch-inside-the-25-yard-line-on-a-kickoff-into-a-touchback/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

May 18, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Kick-off Returns; Conn ]

The new rule for this season is if a player calls for a fair catch then you get the ball at the 25yd line automatically. For example if you waive for a fair catch at the 3yd line, then Clemson would get the ball at the 25 automatically. They're trying to cut down on concussions and study's show concussions happen more on kickoffs then anywhere else.

Sorry to see you had a Stroke while writing this.

May 18, 2018, 12:33 PM

Get well soon.

Does anybody else miss Patrick?***

May 18, 2018, 12:52 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Disagree on Conn

May 18, 2018, 1:13 PM

Conn definitely needs to dial up his recruiting effectiveness. You can’t have a young position coach not be a quality recruiter. He doesn’t have to be the top recruiter but he has to be better than He has been to date. Pearman is a terrible recruiter and you can’t afford to have many that don’t measure up. Currently he is the worst recruiter except for Pearman and that needs to change.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree on Conn

May 18, 2018, 2:01 PM

I too disagree Conn was brought to recruit not coach. He has to recruit and Grayson has a TON of talent last 2 years and we have gotten zero.

May 18, 2018, 5:03 PM

In order to successfully recruit you need a resume that appeals to these players. Conn comes up short on this area. This is how we lost Quindarious Monday to auburn. Recruiters are using this lack of resume and stating he was a beneficiary of a friendship with HC against him. Not saying this is right but just how it is. Van Smith leaving early because he didn't feel he could get better under Conn didn't help. He will have to develop players and put them in the NFL real quick to overcome this label. Don't foresee Clemson getting any 4 or 5 stars at Safety anytime soon, so he will have to develop what he currently has. The annual public humiliation by DC of secondary doesnt help either. Saban & Meyer does not permit this out of their staffs. Don't mean to be harsh just stating what are competition is putting out to DB's we are trying to recruit.

May 18, 2018, 5:19 PM

Charleston is a 4 star safety and Hellams is a 4 star athlete we're recruiting as a safety that we seem to have all of the momentum for. Regularly recruiting that position has to improve for sure but some of what you're saying is factually untrue.

May 18, 2018, 5:24 PM

Had all momentum on Monday also. We are not going to get Hallums.

May 18, 2018, 5:38 PM

That's not the same thing. Auburn is and always has been a dirty program, it's actually worse this year. I don't know what happened with Monday. Whether they bought him, or sold him some load of BS, or maybe they just won that one. Since Malzhan has gotten there they've picked up I think 8 five stars and only two have gotten drafted and neither of them before the 4th round. You want to look and that combined with Kevin Steele's really awful record of developing LBs and tell me that Auburn makes the most sense for Owen Pappoe.

I'm not saying that Conn isn't necessarily a little bit of a liability, and I'm not sure it's something that he can necessarily get better at. Recruiting seems like a thing that you either have or you don't. Judging a guy based off one class and losing a safety to the black hole that is Auburn seems entirely unfair. He wasn't on the staff when missed on McKinney and didn't take a safety in 2017 either.

May 18, 2018, 5:42 PM

well lets see. dabo thinks conn is a helluva coach and recruiter. who should i listen to. dabo or the goobers on tiger board. pretty sure conn will be the dc when venables leaves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2018, 5:58 PM

Do you think Dabo you would select Conn over Reed as DC if BV leaves? Really....think I am missing something.

May 18, 2018, 5:59 PM

over reed. lol. why yes i do.

May 18, 2018, 6:39 PM

Not sure what you see that i dont. Reed played & coached at all levels (D1 & NFL). Played for Tom Coughlin (2 Super Bowl victories) & Dom Capers. Coached under defensive masterminds Jim Johnson & Veneables. Great recruiter, producing NFL DB's. Turned out to be a great hire by Dabo. What am I missing?

May 18, 2018, 6:44 PM

you aint missing anything except for conn being next dc. now who knows when brent might leave. things could change.

May 18, 2018, 8:32 PM

I hope if BV does leave we replace him with a qualified DC and not let nepotism being a deciding factor. The program who is the standard we are trying to match (Bama) doesnt seem to engage in this practice which is why they go through coaches like a carousel and still remain in the championship hunt every year.

May 18, 2018, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Disagree on Conn ]

Had all momentum on Monday also. We are not going to get Hallums.

May 18, 2018, 8:34 PM

Just got word......we are not getting Hellums. Looked into my Crystal ball.

Got another coot I see. What a post!!!***

May 18, 2018, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Disagree on Conn ]

Re: Got another coot I see. What a post!!!***

Jun 19, 2018, 4:04 AM

I told you we were not getting Hallums from DeMatha. These kids aren't going to be coached by a former high school coach with no credentials just because he is HC good friend.

Does Dabo know this??***

May 18, 2018, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Disagree on Conn ]

May 18, 2018, 8:36 PM

Mickey, of course you’re correct about all the film the coaches have on special teams, but after the first national championship against Bama, don’t you think it’s human(Clemson Fanatic) nature to be concerned about certain things, especially on Special Teams? If one of the coaches would have told a certain Safety to stop dropping back 10+ yards on kickoffs, Clemson probably has back to back National Championships.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic